Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I saw today!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The Enfields designed for the corrosive ammo had a little funnel in the original cleaning kit to poor boiling water through the barrel as far as I know. Must have been a bit of a job giving them a good cleaning compared to a bit of oil or solvent and a couple of sweeps with a boresnake nowadays...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Thanks for the info Grizzly!
    I think some of the earlier semi auto G3s imported into the US were with the paddle release, and called the HK41,

Cant see how that was the HK41 was/is a Light belt fed machine gun.

Apparently the BATF decided to make up the rules as they went along, and declared further import of that variation illegal.

That would be about right!:rolleyes:

Decided that you could convert it too easily to full auto with drop in trigger module from the military version, as if you'd actually hit anything.

Well,That would have to include the bolt,bolt carrier,select trigger mechanism.
    Which are now commonly available over there in Kit gun config for spares,or being made in the US,by various companies to beat the 5 US parts rule. or Pakistan.
    So the revised civilian version, now called the HK91 had an altered reciever that wouldn't accept drop in full auto trigger group. Whatever changes they made in the new reciever to make it impossible to convert,

Yeah for about 12 months.Then plenty of bright sparks had come up with the "how to " convert to full auto books which showed how to convert the HK 91 to full auto.And it wasnt that hard either for a good machineist with a full machine shop.All you were doing was modifying the trigger pack,and HK91 bolt to G3 configurations.The Hk reciver stayed the same.The button,paddle release was irrevelant as the original HKs 91 still had them,
    This was still pre the 1986 new machine gun registration ban.Post 86 it became a "Club Fed "Holiday of ten years:eek:The Assault weapons ban of 1994.Didnt allow for the import of "Assault rifles
    ".So there were sportiserised versions imported,without many of the evil features that scared wolly headed gun banners,so in some cases the paddle release was removed.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

chem wrote: »
    Some years ago I saked the DOJ about importing an SMLE as a wall hanger. I was told it would have to be ballistic tested to see if it was used in a crime! So they were telling me that they would have to shoot a round down a blocked, cut barrel.

Any chance you misunderstood that Chem? It would be common enough for Ballistics to be sent a deact to examine it and confirm that it cannot be easily re-activated. Not to test fire it but to confirm it could not be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

BornToKill wrote: »
    Any chance you misunderstood that Chem? It would be common enough for Ballistics to be sent a deact to examine it and confirm that it cannot be easily re-activated. Not to test fire it but to confirm it could not be fired.

No BTK. The bloke the other end of the phone said it would have to be test fired to see if it was used in a crime! even after me saying it was a UK de-act inc cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mannlicher

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Cant see how that was the HK41 was/is a Light belt fed machine gun.

The HK41 is a rifle:

http://www.hkpro.com/hk41/hk41.htm

and:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HK91

Are you thinking of the HK21?

The button,paddle release was irrevelant as the original HKs 91 still had them,

To select from the first link:

.........As a result, engineers at Heckler & Koch, GmbH modified the design of the receiver used on the 1974 model HK41 by eliminating the “push-pin” hole altogether, thereby also removing the associated magazine paddle release lever (more commonly referred to as a “flapper”) that was an intrinsic part of the retaining-pin hole and bushing design. The redundant pushbutton located on the right-hand side of the receiver remained in place and now functioned as the sole magazine release mechanism. A solid U-shaped metal block was welded in place at the base of the receiver to prevent the attachment of a HKG3 “SEF” select fire, automatic trigger housing. This change now offered a more visible gauge for ATF Field Agents to determine whether or not the weapon has been illegally modified to accommodate the attachment of an automatic “lower” trigger group, and is currently used by the BATF Technology Branch as the sole rule to differentiate between a HK semiautomatic and automatic weapon. (Although the 1966 model HK41 with a “push-pin” design is grand-fathered as an approved NFA, Title I firearm; Heckler & Koch’s semiautomatic MSG90 sniper rifle introduced in 1990 is considered by the BATF to be a NFA, Title II “machine gun” based on this criterion.) Additional changes were also made to the HK41 rifles manufactured in 1974 to prevent the attachment of a rifle-propelled grenade and fixed bayonet. The mandated re-design of the receiver’s attachment point and removal of the snap-rings located on the barrel for the attachment of a grenade appears on all HK41s manufactured in 1974, and was subsequently incorporated on all civilian H&K semiautomatic rifles (and Hellenic SARs manufactured under a licensing agreement with Heckler & Koch, GmbH) produced thereafter for importation into the United States. Heckler & Koch’s original “push-pin” design continued to be used exclusively on their series of select fire, automatic weapons that remained only available for sale to military, law enforcement agencies, and authorized Class 3 dealers licensed to import and sell NFA, Title II firearms......

As a result, engineers at Heckler & Koch, GmbH modified the design of the receiver used on the 1974 model HK41 by eliminating the “push-pin” hole altogether, thereby also removing the associated magazine paddle release lever (more commonly referred to as a “flapper”) that was an intrinsic part of the retaining-pin hole and bushing design. The redundant pushbutton located on the right-hand side of the receiver remained in place and now functioned as the sole magazine release mechanism. A solid U-shaped metal block was welded in place at the base of the receiver to prevent the attachment of a HKG3 “SEF” select fire, automatic trigger housing. This change now offered a more visible gauge for ATF Field Agents to determine whether or not the weapon has been illegally modified to accommodate the attachment of an automatic “lower” trigger group, and is currently used by the BATF Technology Branch as the sole rule to differentiate between a HK semiautomatic and automatic weapon. (Although the 1966 model HK41 with a “push-pin” design is grand-fathered as an approved NFA, Title I firearm; Heckler & Koch’s semiautomatic MSG90 sniper rifle introduced in 1990 is considered by the BATF to be a NFA, Title II “machine gun” based on this criterion.) Additional changes were also made to the HK41 rifles manufactured in 1974 to prevent the attachment of a rifle-propelled grenade and fixed bayonet. The mandated re-design of the receiver’s attachment point and removal of the snap-rings located on the barrel for the attachment of a grenade appears on all HK41s manufactured in 1974, and was subsequently incorporated on all civilian H&K semiautomatic rifles (and Hellenic SARs manufactured under a licensing agreement with Heckler & Koch, GmbH) produced thereafter for importation into the United States. Heckler & Koch’s original “push-pin” design continued to be used exclusively on their series of select fire, automatic weapons that remained only available for sale to military, law enforcement agencies, and authorized Class 3 dealers licensed to import and sell NFA, Title II firearms.
    image008.gif
    1966 model HK41 receiver
    with “push-pin” hole

image010.gif
    1974 model HK41 receiver
    without “push-pin” hole
    COMPARISONS BETWEEN THE HK G3 AND 1966 MODEL HK41

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well you live and learn...Thanks Mannlicher for the link and info...Hmmm very intresting that,so all those years ago somone was trying to flog me a dodgy HK rifle in the US!!!:eek::eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Well you live and learn...Thanks Mannlicher for the link and info...Hmmm very intresting that,so all those years ago somone was trying to flog me a dodgy HK rifle in the US!!!:eek::eek:

It is possible that during the transition, a HK receiver could have been marked 91 while still retaining the flapper catch. In the photos above both are marked 41, but the second lacks the flapper mag release. So there is some mismatch between the nomenclature and the changes.

For example, I believe they even marked some late HK91s as HK911 just to get them imported into the States after a sudden change in the list of politically incorrect firearms not to be imported.

So it could have been a genuine HK. If it was, it would have been a great prize. Virtually indestructable in normal use, very accurate if the target trigger group was dropped in. Even a 22 conversion was available. Think of the look on the rabbits' faces;)

Even with the tig welds and stamped construction, one way to distinguish between a HK and a CETME of that era is the rear sight, the HK having a rotary setup with apertures around a tilted drum that was turned in a vertical axis to effect range changes. The CETME had a series of apertures in a sort of propeller that you rotated about a horizontal axis to do the same job.

I was out again today!
    And if someone can tell me how to upload an avi file i have a real treat to show:D;)

The AK47 I like!

The tank looks like a gas guzzler;)

Is it a Pershing M26?

Sweet lantering jeezes, have you been visiting Osama's cave ?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Looks like one of the bunkers that General DeChastelaine missed on his holidays up north:D

Tank is a hellcat and is worth £250,000 not sure how much it is to tax:D two miles to the gallon or was that one mile to two gallons! Not sure.

I was up north today alright:D I was just thinking on my way home. What if id run into a garda check point!!

Garda: where you coming from?

Chem: well I was up north in this place, with lots of shells,guns,tanks and I helped set up some explosive charges, while there and.............dragged from car into garda car, hand cuffed and pepper sprayed.

Garda: you have the right to remain silent............

Anyone know about putting up avi links on here?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

And if someone can tell me how to upload an avi file i have a real treat to show:D;)

Upload the video to YouTube and then you can embed it here. PM me if you need a hand.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Upload the video to YouTube and then you can embed it here. PM me if you need a hand.

Good thinking IRL. Follow this link and see what I was up to today:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHUc_eHmAPg

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

keep those Pic's coming Chem, amazing to see them.

Good thinking IRL. Follow this link and see what I was up to today:D

You lucky swine.:D You must have felt like a 7 year old on Christmas morning

You lucky swine.:D You must have felt like a 7 year old on Christmas morning

It was like all my christmas mornings in one:D:D

Takes alot longer to fill the mag with the 30 rounds then it did to fire them;)

He also had a russian PPS 42 converted to 9mm. It spits out rounds like a sneez. zzzzzzzzzzz empty mag:eek:

Advertisement