Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Haggling down dealers?

Options
  • 11-10-2008 7:27pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if it's possible to haggle much on the price of cars these days? Went out this morning to look at an Alfa 147 for €6000. The dealer would take my current car for €500 but wouldn't budge on the price of €5500, even though there was no tax or NCT on the car. Is this typical or was the dealer just being stubborn? I was going to spend €500 over budget if he would have gone to €5000 too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,680 ✭✭✭Trampas

I'd nearly say if you walked in with €5,500 he would sell it to you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

He was offering it to me for €5500. My point is he wouldn't sell it to me for €5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

feylya wrote: »
    He was offering it to me for €5500. My point is he wouldn't sell it to me for €5000.

I'm assuming that's including your trade in? Keep your car, go in on a straight deal and bargain till the cows come home. If he has to take in your car he won't be interested in coming down in price unless he really wants to.

My car won't get any money just selling it straight. Or not a huge amount more than €500 if it does get anything. Am I being unrealistic thinking dealers would discount much on a six grand car?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

He is doing you no favour by taking your trade-in off you. If your old car is only worth €500 then try and flog it privately. There is always a market for cheap motors, now more than ever.

Then walk back into the dealer and ask him what his best straight cash deal is. With no trade-in and hard cash on the table you will walk out with that car for €5k.

Also make sure passing the NCT is a condition of the sale or warranty. If there is nothing major wrong with the car he should have no problem doing this.

Road tax is the responsibility of the new owner, the garage is under no obligation to sell you a car with it. Under the current climate you could try and push the dealer to tax it for 3 months but you might be milking it here, no harm in trying though.

• Advertisement

My car won't get any money just selling it straight. Or not a huge amount more than €500 if it does get anything. Am I being unrealistic thinking dealers would discount much on a six grand car?

You are not wining by trading the car in, the dealer will have to get rid of your old car somehow, that is why is not budging on the price of the new car. Take your old car out of the equation and you have more power to haggle on the price of the other car.

Someone will take your old car off you even if it was for parts you might get €100 for it. If you buy the other car straight for €5k, you have saved an additional €500 plus the €100 you get for the old car over trading it in.

What car is it op?

If you work it this way.
    You trade in your car, you part with 5500, that's what your new car is costing you.

If you keep your car, and sell it privatly, buy on a straight deal you get the car for 5k. Then sell your car privately for what ever lets say 500.

Your new car is now costing your 4500. A 1000 euro less.

Edit : Lol, sorry bazz, didn't see your post.

What car is it op?

If you work it this way.
    You trade in your car, you part with 5500, that's what your new car is costing you.

If you keep your car, and sell it privatly, buy on a straight deal you get the car for 5k. Then sell your car privately for what ever lets say 500.

Your new car is now costing your 4500. A 1000 euro less.

Edit : Lol, sorry bazz, didn't see your post.

Not a bother. At least we are on the same page. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

Hi

always good to flash the cash and say something like "im ready to hand over this money if we have a deal, I dont have a penny more, just this 'flash' 5k...so do we have a deal?"

Car-dealer wrote: »
    Hi

always good to flash the cash and say something like "im ready to hand over this money if we have a deal, I dont have a penny more, just this 'flash' 5k...so do we have a deal?"

Lol, some did that exact thing to me one day, ah it worked, but they were lucky:P

• Advertisement

Yup, that actually makes a load of sense. I'm spending the money I'd spend anyway and still have the other car to sell. It's a 96 Mitsubishi Mirage import with wing damage so it'll probably be a parts car. Cheers folks

Yup, that actually makes a load of sense. I'm spending the money I'd spend anyway and still have the other car to sell. It's a 96 Mitsubishi Mirage import with wing damage so it'll probably be a parts car. Cheers folks

Lol? wing damage? You'll probably pick up a wing for a hundred euro. A good wash, hoover polish would do the world of good. That car will be very easy sell.

Na, lots of thing wrong with it. No NCT being the top one...

Na, lots of thing wrong with it. No NCT being the top one...

Ah right, have you put it through the NCT. You never know, it might pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭kindalen

what are the 147 details?what year,engine,spec,miles?
    go for straight deal all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Just wondering if it's possible to haggle much on the price of cars these days? Went out this morning to look at an Alfa 147 for €6000. The dealer would take my current car for €500 but wouldn't budge on the price of €5500, even though there was no tax or NCT on the car. Is this typical or was the dealer just being stubborn? I was going to spend €500 over budget if he would have gone to €5000 too

A dealer selling a car without an NCT? Is he taking the piss???

Ah right, have you put it through the NCT. You never know, it might pass.

I have done. It won't pass without a bit of work. Not much but too much for me to spend the money on
    kindalen wrote: »
    what are the 147 details?what year,engine,spec,miles?
    go for straight deal all the way.

02 147 1.6 Lusso. 75k miles. There are better:
    JJJJNR wrote: »

Aye, saw that alright. Must pop down in the morning.
    Darragh29 wrote: »
    A dealer selling a car without an NCT? Is he taking the piss???

Supposedly there's an NCT guarantee. It ain't worth my time taking 2 days off to go to the NCT center.

Aye, saw that alright. Must pop down in the morning.QUOTE]

Lol, best of luck with that, Sunday would be a bad day for it:P

I'd advise to keep your car either way, it'll put you in the driving seat when it comes to buying.

Morning = when I wake up :p Also known as after lunch ;)

• Advertisement

Morning = when I wake up :p Also known as after lunch ;)

Also known as Sunday lol... I suppose go down for a look and have your arguements ready:D... I'm off out, good luck with it:D

Advertisement