Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can't park on the footpath in London it seems, got a fine for it

Options
  • 11-10-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Woke up this morning to fine a fine stuck to the wind screen of the van. Parked it slightly up on the kerk (1 wheel i think) to keep it from being out a bit on the road, big van, narrow road.

Thing we where wondering is should we pay it? We didn't know it was forbidden to park on the footh path, my cousin didn't realise and tell us about it, never seen any signs either to mention such a rule. Van's on Irish plates to.

It's not that I don't want to pay the £50 it's more that we where surprised at getting the fine since I figured it would be better to keept the van from the road a little and one of the wheels was only just on the edge of the curb.

Jozi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

jozi wrote: »
    Thing we where wondering is should we pay it? We didn't know it was forbidden to park on the footh path, my cousin didn't realise and tell us about it, never seen any signs either to mention such a rule. Van's on Irish plates to.
    It's illegal to park on a footpath, here, the UK and probably many other countries. Everyone with a driving license is supposed to know this, hence no signs.

Pay the fine or they'll pass it over to the bailffs & if you've ever seen them on TV, you'll know that by the time they catch up with you, the bill plus expenses will be considerably more than the original fine.

If the van is on irish plates throw the ticket in the Bin and forget about it. I certainly would. They cant trace an Irish reg in the UK same as they cant trace a UK reg in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Woke up this morning to fine a fine stuck to the wind screen of the van. Parked it slightly up on the kerk (1 wheel i think) to keep it from being out a bit on the road, big van, narrow road.

It's not that I don't want to pay the £50 it's more that we where surprised at getting the fine since I figured it would be better to keept the van from the road a little and one of the wheels was only just on the edge of the curb.

Jozi

And then you post here with the equivalent of a wheel on the kerb :)
    They'll eat you alive! A wheel on the kerb is a no-no where ever you are,. I'm not sure we are in agreement with the UK here re this sort of thing - I suspect not though, so doubt anything would come of it. unless someone knows better...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I'm not sure we are in agreement with the UK here re this sort of thing - I suspect not though, so doubt anything would come of it. unless someone knows better...
    AFAIK the only cross-border agreement in place is between Dundalk CC and Newry CC regarding parking fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

jozi .dont pay the fine if the van is on republic plates unless it is a police sticker;as up to last year i worked for a parking firm --it is only a civil offence;and the company who issue the ticket would have to take it to the irish courts to get paid that costs more money than its worth-i used to rip up foreign plate tickets and just hope people paid anyway--the only thing is .dont leave your van in the same area because his boss may tell him to put a clamp on it--then you will have to pay save yourself £50--

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If the van is on Irish plates throw it in the Bin and forget about it. I certainly would.
    It will catch up on you eventually as the registered owner if you intended driving in the UK again

They cant trace an Irish reg in the UK same as they cant trace a UK reg in Ireland!
    Put a bet on it. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/tispol_euro_vehicle_data/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the above only is about criminal offences ie speeding drink driving and police data -not parking that is in the hands of private companys -that is only a civil offence

It will catch up on you eventually as the registered owner if you intended driving in the UK again

Put a bet on it. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/tispol_euro_vehicle_data/

Well they dont appear to make use of it! Never heard of an Irish person(with irish plates) getting a ticket from a UK speed camera and I know an awful lot of people who have flashed them, lots on the same journey even and same here lads driving past speed traps on UK plates and never heard about it.

I honestly wonder what are the chances of getting in trouble on another visit to the UK if the fine was not paid. Its not like the irish plate will flag on an ANPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JB04

AFAIK the only cross-border agreement in place is between Dundalk CC and Newry CC regarding parking fines.

Dundalk CC :confused: Newry CC:confused:. Do you mean County council? Dundalk is not a county, neither is Newry.

Main risk would be if it escalates to the bailiffs some months from now and you're detected on their patch by a roving automated number-plate recognition systems. They'd clamp your car first and then make you pay the inflated charges.

But on a lighter note, this from the BBC, back in 2004:
    Snowmobile gets UK parking ticket
    A Swedish man has been issued with a £90 (1,211 kronor) ticket for illegally parking his snowmobile in Warwick.

But Krister Nylander, who lives on a farm in Bollstabruk, 205 miles north of Stockholm, said he had never been to the town and would not be paying up.

Mr Nylander said the ticket was issued by Euro Parking Collection showing his snowmobile was parked illegally for three hours in Warwick on 22 June.

"The snowmobile is in my barn. It has never left Sweden," the mechanic said.

Mr Nylander said all the information on the ticket was correct, including the make of the snowmobile and the licence plate number.

Euro Parking Collection, a London-based company which collects parking fines issued to foreign registered vehicles, was unavailable for comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dundalk Town Council and Newry & Mourne District Council I would take it?

MYOB wrote: »
    Dundalk Town Council and Newry & Mourne District Council I would take it?
    Dundalk UDC are one of a number of authorities (Europe wide) employing the services of Euro Parking Collections. Mentioned previously, they pursue, under contract, fines on foreign-registered vehicles. This company would be using civil law, I presume.

Well they dont appear to make use of it! Never heard of an Irish person(with irish plates) getting a ticket from a UK speed camera and I know an awful lot of people who have flashed them, lots on the same journey even and same here lads driving past speed traps on UK plates and never heard about it.

I honestly wonder what are the chances of getting in trouble on another visit to the UK if the fine was not paid. Its not like the irish plate will flag on an ANPR.

It is a relativly new system, I would say it is only a matter of time and they will harmonise speeding, points and DD offenses. The would probably not bother with out of stste parking offenses but If one had enough of them they would probably be quizzed returning to the Uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

But on a lighter note, this from the BBC, back in 2004:

lol wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Snowmobile........heheheh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

(Sarah palin joke goes here)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

... I figured it would be better to keept the van from the road a little and one of the wheels was only just on the edge of the curb.
    Then why bother?

Are you related to Cormie btw? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Pay the fine or they'll pass it over to the bailffs & if you've ever seen them on TV....

Cyclo speaks the truth, last thing you want is Dog on your ass...

dog%20the%20bounty%20hunter.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

SteveC wrote: »
    Cyclo speaks the truth, last thing you want is Dog on your ass...

dog%20the%20bounty%20hunter.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I got a ticket in Nottingham, I put it in the bin. Not heard anything since and that's 15 months ago

• Advertisement

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I got a ticket in Nottingham, I put it in the bin. Not heard anything since and that's 15 months ago
    In the UK? Do it once too often and you will :D

Unpaid parking tickets may soon effect your credit rating.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/failure-to-pay-parking-tickets-could-lead-to-poor-credit-rating-13932301.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In the UK? Do it once too often and you will :D

Unpaid parking tickets may soon effect your credit rating.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/failure-to-pay-parking-tickets-could-lead-to-poor-credit-rating-13932301.html

We are not in the UK.

Bin it. Dont worry about it ......move on.

Advertisement