Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinding Noise

Options
  • 11-10-2008 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Went for a spin 45km this morning and didn't notice any problems, but when I was wheeling the bike when I got home I noticed a strange noise coming from either the bottom bracket or rear wheel. I flipped the bike to check it out and sure enough there's a fairly quiet though worrying grinding noise coming from the rear freehub (Specialized double sealed bearings with Shimano HG50 Cassette). It's only around a few months old with around 1,000km or so on it. I'd never use a pressure washer, just a standard garden hose, but the only thing I can think of is that I might have forced water and degreaser into the bearings somehow and flushed the lube out :confused: I'm dropping the wheel into my LBS tomrrow to have it checked out. Has anyone ever come across this problem with a newish hub and cassette??

Ste.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Unless you're using a pressure washer, water and degreaser shouldn't make their way into the hub. Bring it back to the shop. If the bike is new, you never know, there could have been some manufacturing flaw in the hub. Are you sure its the hub by the way and not a broken or loose spoke making the noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Yup, definitely coming fom the hub. The noise isn't there when pedalling, only when coasting or wheeling the bike. Can't make it the bike shop today now so might take the cassette and hub off, clean and re-lube, etc. and see if that helps. Either way I'll be dropping it in tomorrow to have it checked.

Advertisement