Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TKMaxx Waterford - Now Open

• 11-10-2008 8:36pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

65 new jobs have been created in Waterford with the opening of the TK Maxx store today. TK Maxx is a chain of off-price retail stores, selling branded goods at reduced prices. The 22,000 square foot store is located at the Butlerstown Retail Park on the outer ring road.

Source: WLRFM

Excuse the poor quote, WLR was the only place I found news on TK Maxx opening in Waterford and the article wasn't great at all.

Anyway, iv been in it. Very busy, but a great looking store. Some nice discounted products also. Not as messy as some of the TKMaxx stores I have visited, which is good to see.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Sully wrote: »
    Not as messy as some of the TKMaxx stores I have visited, which is good to see.

You can say that again, I went into the one in Limerick and was never so confused in my life, rails of randomly assorted men's clothes, no sizing system, madness :)
    Are they actually cheap though? never bought anything in tk maxx

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Dan133269 wrote: »
    You can say that again, I went into the one in Limerick and was never so confused in my life, rails of randomly assorted men's clothes, no sizing system, madness :)
    Are they actually cheap though? never bought anything in tk maxx

Some decent stuff there at good prices. They show the old price and their price on all items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

You have to approach TK Maxx like women approach a sale in next my boy! If yo'ure going in there for something decent in your size you'd wanna have a patient head on ya and a bitta time to spare looking around the place. Went to the one in cork and it wasn't half bad. Some lovely stuff and very cheap. Even shows you the original prices on the original tags and the lower price on a separate one.

Amazing shop. Haven't been to the one in Waterford though nd dind't even know about it till now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

TK Maxx - Eww... Their stuff doesnt fit, its all odd sizes and colours! Not cheap either tbh considering ALL of their stuff is old last years stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

FearDark wrote: »
    old last years stuff...

That reminds me. Must replace my spring wardrobe. Can't be seen in old clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Do their original prices seem a little "inflated" to anyone else??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Never taken a shine to the one in Dublin, but hey, will check it out!

Pick myself up one of these bad boys...

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/article39010.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Think I got lucky on Friday evening and got myself a new pair of DC's for €36.99, original price on them was €96.95 and they're usually €85 in town so was fairly happy with that !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Trotter wrote: »
    Do their original prices seem a little "inflated" to anyone else??

Yup.. friend of mine said the same thing to me when we were in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Went in there the opening day got a few t-shirts. It was well organised unlike the sligo store.

Question though. Was that balloon, which was about 200ft in the air for tk maxx? I was driving and didn't get a chance to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

According to a relative who works in B&Q in the same retail park, that balloon was for TK Maxx. He also said it is great it opened because now there's some fine girls visiting the retail park ;)

As for it being well laid out and good bargains, I'd wait before passing judgment. They are bound to try their best for opening day/week. We will see how long it stays like this.

Very busy in there today, found it hard to get a car parking space! Yup the balloon is for TKMaxx, very hard to see though. Got myself a nice jacket for €70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sully wrote: »
    Very busy in there today, found it hard to get a car parking space! Yup the balloon is for TKMaxx, very hard to see though. Got myself a nice jacket for €70

Hard to get a car parking space? In that gigantic car park? Jseus, that's a popular shop!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fricatus wrote: »
    Hard to get a car parking space? In that gigantic car park? Jseus, that's a popular shop!

carpark was about 99% full today when I went into Harvey Normans, busiest I;ve ever seen it

fricatus wrote: »

Harvey Normans & Halfords was busy (though not mobbed, but your usual type of busy) also. TKMaxx was packed out, lots of people shopping and the managers were making sure the queues were moving along quickly (good to see).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

FearDark wrote: »
    TK Maxx - Eww... Their stuff doesnt fit, its all odd sizes and colours! Not cheap either tbh considering ALL of their stuff is old last years stuff...
    Agreed, Their clothes are all wierd and dont ever fit right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I've never bought clothes there but I'd go there knowing what I'm looking for. I hate shopping at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Never taken a shine to the one in Dublin, but hey, will check it out!

Pick myself up one of these bad boys...

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/article39010.ece
    they sold out of them in the limerick store lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

And someone mentioned.. Recession? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

It has now emerged that it seems TKMaxx have contravened the terms of their planning by selling Mens and Womens Fashion garments at the retail park. Two writtne complaints have been recieved by Waterford County Council (as it's actually in the county) and the matter is being investigated. Apparently their planning only allows them to sell homewares ans bulky goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

durrus wrote: »
    It has now emerged that it seems TKMaxx have contravened the terms of their planning by selling Mens and Womens Fashion garments at the retail park. Two writtne complaints have been recieved by Waterford County Council (as it's actually in the county) and the matter is being investigated. Apparently their planning only allows them to sell homewares ans bulky goods.

Surely to God someone in the planning office knew that TK Maxx sells clothes? Have none of them ever been upta Dublen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Anyone like to have little guess to themselves at who might have written one of the letters :P:rolleyes:

Please tell me this is a joke. Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

they do it to themselves, sad retail obssessed waterfordians,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I heard the chap from Mulligans chemist on Billy Mac on Wlr there yesterdau or the day before complaining about it..

The city centre DOES need that new KRM development BIG time

lets run Mccann outta this town !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

they do it to themselves, sad retail obssessed waterfordians,

care to expand on that sad, bitchy comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Well it does seem strange that they allowed that kind of retail out there,the words horse has bolted come to mind at this stage.I shall go out and inspect it tomorrow:D.We do need the krm development and talking to someone involved with it ,they are more conifident in getting the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Thank god!

I thought Sligo was the only city that hampered any kind of development that would be good for a town! Great to see that it is a nationwide trait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

The folly of the planning system and local authority funding is now coming home to roost. Waterford City Council objected to the Butlerstown retail park on the basis that it's arrival would contravene the retail strategy for Waterford City. The county needed the rates so the development went ahead. Now anecdotally it is having a devestating effect on weekend retail trade in the city centre and while some people may say'tough luck, that's competition' the reality is that some retail businesses in the city centre will close, thus actually reducing the amount of choice for consumers.

The situation in Ferrybank in quite similar. Waterford City objected, as did the Chamber of Commerce. Kilkenny needed the rates so it went ahead. Now, because of economic conditions, it is not going to open anytime soon and Waterford is left with an empty development at the entrance to our city.

Our local planning objector has to take responsibilty for some of this situation. To the best of my knowledge he did not object to either development and yet the city centre KRM development, which has the potential to bring Waterford back into the races from a retail point of view, has been hit with obstacle after obstacle. It's a cheap comment, I admit, bit it's easy know his own job is not put at risk by any of these issues.

Advertisement