Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TKMaxx Waterford - Now Open

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I could be wrong, but I think he did object to the Butlerstown one. Maybe not the Ferrybank one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Sully wrote: »
    Please tell me this is a joke. Please.
    It's true. I rang the Co. Council - complaints were received. A warning letter has been sent to TK Maxx. They contravened the terms of their planning conditions like durrus said in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

So what happens in this situation? Do TK Maxx have to stop selling clothes until they get their permission sorted or can they keep selling clothes while they apply for permission?

Also, how long would it typically take to get this sorted? Or is there a chance that they wont get the permission required and will have to stop selling clothes fulltime. Sorry for all the questions, I'm not very up to date on all this planning stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It's true. I rang the Co. Council - complaints were received. A warning letter has been sent to TK Maxx. They contravened the terms of their planning conditions like durrus said in this thread.

Very disapointing tbh. The city is diying on its feet. Retailers cant get space in the city, developers wont apply because anytime they do they face massive objections. Instead we have a development on the ORR which has brought us many retailers because the space is there and we have people complaining?

Very disapointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Very disapointing tbh. The city is diying on its feet. Retailers cant get space in the city, developers wont apply because anytime they do they face massive objections. Instead we have a development on the ORR which has brought us many retailers because the space is there and we have people complaining?

Very disapointing.

But hardly surprising... I doubt those complaining are from the general public. More likely they are from retailers afraid of competition!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

In fairness if TK Maxx are selling goods which are outside the planning permission granted they are wrong - regardless of who complained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Thank god!

I thought Sligo was the only city that hampered any kind of development that would be good for a town! Great to see that it is a nationwide trait.

and since when is Sligo a city?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Bards wrote: »
    and since when is Sligo a city?

OH NO! You've cut me deep with that witty reply! :rolleyes:

Back on topic folks... No need for a debate on citys etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

From what I am reading here TK Maxx are in breach of the planning that is assigned to the particular unit they have obtained, very unusual for a company like this, ususally they check planning and submit a change of use request if neccessary before signing leases. I used to do this before for a retail unit, its easy to do in developments like this.
    The Council can stop them trading all items except what the planning is, but usually it doesn't come to this, what normally happens is that TK Maxx will submit a change of use planning and or retention application to the council and usually it will take 3 months for that to be processed accordingly, for a decession to be made...
    lets hope TK Maxx are on the case and get this sorted before the council has to take action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

Very disapointing.

That was my whole point. Whatever about furniture etc, clothing retailers of the quality of TK Maxx should be in the city centre, to draw life back into the city. Because of the multipile objections to city based developments we are left with this kind of outcome. Whether the people who objected are other retailers or not really makes no difference, it is simply a matter of fact that having a large draw of consumers from the city centre out to the ORR will result in closures in the city centre and this will then become a continuing spiral. If people think that you are better to have them on the ORR rather than not have them at all I think that is the short sighted view. Look beyond that and the future is not looking good for Waterford City Centre without some kind of large scale retail development. And no, I am not involved in any way with that development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

durrus wrote: »
    That was my whole point. Whatever about furniture etc, clothing retailers of the quality of TK Maxx should be in the city centre, to draw life back into the city. Because of the multipile objections to city based developments we are left with this kind of outcome. Whether the people who objected are other retailers or not really makes no difference, it is simply a matter of fact that having a large draw of consumers from the city centre out to the ORR will result in closures in the city centre and this will then become a continuing spiral. If people think that you are better to have them on the ORR rather than not have them at all I think that is the short sighted view. Look beyond that and the future is not looking good for Waterford City Centre without some kind of large scale retail development. And no, I am not involved in any way with that development.

100% agree.. the whole planning and Local Government act needs to be torn up and re-written. City Economic Andministrative areas need to be created so that the City councils can control what happens in and on the peripherary of their respective Cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

+1. I agree completely.

I'm going to college in Galway and the amount of building going on in and around the City Centre is quite large. Galways stepped ahead of the other large town/citys in recent years because it managed to escap such trends that are sadly becoming very recurrent in Waterford.

I heard at lunchtime that TK Maxx are closing! Apparently they're selling off a lot of stuff at the moment.

Can anyone clarify this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

was out there earlier on and there was no sign of anything been sold off

ec18 wrote: »
    was out there earlier on and there was no sign of anything been sold off

That's good! Maybe some folk have been reading this thread and adding legs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

durrus wrote: »

I have to agree, I'm a manager of a relitively small shop here in town and the more shops like TKMAXX in here the better, I can really see a change in the level of foot traffic floating around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

ziedth wrote: »
    I have to agree, I'm a manager of a relitively small shop here in town and the more shops like TKMAXX in here the better, I can really see a change in the level of foot traffic floating around.

Are you listening, Brendan McCann, WCTU, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

The problem is that they never are listening, primarily because their jobs are not at risk. Footfall in Waterford city has gone into nosedive over the past few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

OH NO! You've cut me deep with that witty reply! :rolleyes:

It's true. It's most definetly a town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

mfitzy wrote: »
    It's true. It's most definetly a town.

Not caring + this topic = me.

Back on topic folks... No need for a debate on citys etc.

Just a refresher..

Stay on topic lads, stop starting pointless debates about whether a place is a town or city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Whats the latest news on TK Maxx? Are they not able to sell clothes now? Also are B and Q in trouble? Heard they might be closing soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

mickger wrote: »
    Whats the latest news on TK Maxx? Are they not able to sell clothes now? Also are B and Q in trouble? Heard they might be closing soon.

Where did you hear this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I have a cousin working in B&Q and he is sick of people asking him about that rumour, which he says is not true at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Kahless wrote: »
    I have a cousin working in B&Q and he is sick of people asking him about that rumour, which he says is not true at all.

Well i hope the rumour is untrue as it would be awful for the city if a big retailer like B and Q can't survive here. But i heard there was a protective notice put on the place which means it could close at any time. Hope it's just an untrue rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I heard that B&Q is not just pulling out of Waterford but pulling all their stores out of Ireland.

Cant see how they can stay open with the downturn in the economy, nobody is spending money at the moment. I've been in there a few times over the last few months and the place was empty.

There was more staff in there than customers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I have heard from a member of staff that they are not pulling out of anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

shockwave wrote: »
    I heard that B&Q is not just pulling out of Waterford but pulling all their stores out of Ireland.

Cant see how they can stay open with the downturn in the economy, nobody is spending money at the moment. I've been in there a few times over the last few months and the place was empty.

There was more staff in there than customers!
    Look half the shops in waterford are empty at the moment they are not all going to be closing down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shaykolina

Have just joined boards.ie as had to reply about B & Q. Can totally state they're not closing down and have no intention of leaving Waterford. All staff have just received a 3.2% payrise across the board and there is no protective notice in place. Confusion and rumour has arisen from two continous promotions that take place in all B & Q stores throughout Ireland and the UK. First one is every 3 - 4 weeks called 'Going, going, gone. (3G for short) - This applies to a number of products put on special and they are 'going going gone' on a saturday and sunday and once the products are gone, they're gone - Not the shop!!! Second promotion that happens is a stock ' clearance'. Thay regularly change the stock lines in B & Q with the last clearance being in their lighting dept. 30 light removed and new lines put in so all the stock removed goes on 'clearance' - previously happened in August with 40 kitchen taps and sinks and will keep happening every month or two in different areas of the shop.

Should be a press release appearing in the papers soon as the rumour has spread like wildfire and loads of people saying it in the store so just letting you all know it's not true!

Advertisement