Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Irish ringing tone when abroad?

• 11-10-2008 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hey just wondering if anyone has any ideas about this:

I'm away on the continent sometimes with work and need to be contactable on my mobile. I don't necessarily want my customers to know I'm abroad but they obviously hear, for example, the French ringing tone if I'm in France.

Up to now, when out of the country, I transfer my calls to another Irish mobile which I leave in Ireland and this forwards to my voicemail of the number I have with me. This works well as long as the caller leaves a voicemail / sends a text but they could leave 50 missed calls and I wouldn't know until I get home and check my second mobile.

Does anyone know of any way to get around this? Maybe a service I can rent online or someway I can check missed calls online?

Thanks,
    Tom

P.S. just read my post and thought I should add that don't worry I'm not having an affair on my wife with a Spainish mistress or anything like that :D I just need to be contactable without everyone knowing my business.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Perhaps something like getting an Irish Skype or VOIP number and diverting that to the phone. You might even reduce your roaming charges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,025 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thomas wrote: »
    Hey just wondering if anyone has any ideas about this:

I'm away on the continent sometimes with work and need to be contactable on my mobile. I don't necessarily want my customers to know I'm abroad but they obviously hear, for example, the French ringing tone if I'm in France.

Up to now, when out of the country, I transfer my calls to another Irish mobile which I leave in Ireland and this forwards to my voicemail of the number I have with me. This works well as long as the caller leaves a voicemail / sends a text but they could leave 50 missed calls and I wouldn't know until I get home and check my second mobile.

Does anyone know of any way to get around this? Maybe a service I can rent online or someway I can check missed calls online?

Thanks,
    Tom

P.S. just read my post and thought I should add that don't worry I'm not having an affair on my wife with a Spainish mistress or anything like that :D I just need to be contactable without everyone knowing my business.

I was gonna go with a french mistress :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

Ardmacha - If I got a Skype/VOIP number it would ring with an Irish tone but I still wouldn't know if someone rang me if they didn't leave a voicemail?

Listermint - one woman is enough - imagine trying to keep a couple on the go in different countries!! No thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Thomas wrote: »
    Ardmacha - If I got a Skype/VOIP number it would ring with an Irish tone but I still wouldn't know if someone rang me if they didn't leave a voicemail?

Listermint - one woman is enough - imagine trying to keep a couple on the go in different countries!! No thanks :D

If you got a Blueface VOIP number you can check the call history online. If you have access to WiFi in France you could then run your VOIP number as extension on your mobile (you get 5 extension numbers with Blueface). You would need a Nokia E or N series mobile. If you do have a N or E series phone take a look at Fring Allows you to run VOIP(SIP)/Skype/Google Talk/ MSN/ICQ on your mobile. Very handy if you have WiFi connection you can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

Mylow - Blueface sounds good as I won't have fulltime access to a Wifi network. Are you sure I can still see missed calls on the online feature even if the caller hasn't left a voicemail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I use Skype-In and besides been able to set up voicemail for it, you will also see a list of missed calls as well, assuming the number calling you is not ex-directory. If you don't have access to Wi-Fi regularly though, I'm not too sure how useful it will be to you - I'm not sure the Fring client shows you the missed calls info that the "proper" Skype client does.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

isint the foreign ringtone so people calling you know your away?

its not fair if i ring you and you have some programme giving out an irish ringtone, then i realise i get billed for a 10 minute international call :mad:

im not saying that your trying to hide the international call, but more so people dont ring you then realise your away and simply hang up and you have no idea who rang!

as said above the skype phone or voib number seems like an answer.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

kceire wrote: »
    i

its not fair if i ring you and you have some programme giving out an irish ringtone, then i realise i get billed for a 10 minute international call :mad:

it doesnt work like that

if i was in spain (for example) and You called my irish mobile, you would only pay for the mobile to mobile call. i would pay to recieve the call while roaming

Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

If you ring an Irish number, you're only charged for rining an Irish number.
    It doesnt matter where in the world that Irish number is.
    Thats why you are charged to receive calls when you are away.

The caller (in Ireland) pays the standard price for calling you (as if you were in Ireland) then you for the International part (from Ireland to wherever you are).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

it doesnt work like that

if i was in spain (for example) and You called my irish mobile, you would only pay for the mobile to mobile call. i would pay to recieve the call while roaming

Joe

cool, thanks for clearing that up. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement