Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up wireless from Netopia Modem?

Options
  • 11-10-2008 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, we've a pc already in the house with a DSL modem connection to internet, but I've recently purchased a macbook pro, which I want to have connected too. I know I need to get a wireless router for the modem but I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy? Do I need to get an airport router since I have a mac? The modem is netopia..have no idea what difference this makes though..

any help very welcome!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

If you want great quality with no hiccups ever and very reliable, ring BT and get them to send you out a wireless router. its expensive but the mac just connects to it with password. no installation needed. The only downside is that its 45 euro per month for unlimited broadband (very fast). its a bit expensive. I was with eircom and smart before and even though they are cheaper, they're just usless. with the 45 quid u get free calls to any landline in Ireland and UK which is fair handy. Mac's just pick up the signal straight away and you just need the password.

Any router you use should be very easy to set up using a mac.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi, we've a pc already in the house with a DSL modem connection to internet, but I've recently purchased a macbook pro, which I want to have connected too. I know I need to get a wireless router for the modem but I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy? Do I need to get an airport router since I have a mac? The modem is netopia..have no idea what difference this makes though..

any help very welcome!

Firstly are you sure that the netopia is not a wireless router? Who is your dsl provider - a lot of providers have been providing wireless modem/routers in recent times.

If your modem is not already wireless then you had two choices you can buy an 'all in one' which would be an integrated modem and wireless router or you can buy a wireless router sometimes referred to as a 'cable router' -these do not contain a modem and will have to be connected to your netopia. The netopia then supplies the basic internet signal and your new router does the rest either by ethernet or wireless.

You do not need to buy an airport router - apart from branding there is nothing special about an airport router (except the price!)

The setting up of a router (or an all in one) can be done from any pc or apple that is connected to it - the setting up has nothing go to with the operating system involved as the settings are held in the router itself not on the computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RedShiftBlue

Thanks for that.Its not a wireless modem I don't think..at least my macbook couldn't pick up any signal, so I'd prob try and get just a cable router which will work with the modem we already have-any suggestions actually? Yeah the airport seems a bit steep, esp. since I'm trying to keep the cost to a minimum!

Advertisement