Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Practical - Guitar

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

cautioner wrote: »

Also, I really can't stress enough how easy the music technology is. If you're a member of boards, chances are you're not a technophobe, and if you're not a technophobe, it's absolute childsplay.

I thinks the main problem with music tech is, that some schools dont have the facility. AFAIK its a pretty pricey program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Drodan wrote: »
    On the acoustic note, look ANYTHING to do with Ace Enders, he is an unreal song writer.

He's actually whopper. You'll get a really eclectic range of stuff from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

How about 'Drifting' by Andy McKee? It will really demonstrate your versatility.I've only been playing two years and only took about two weeks to get it note perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I did Blackbird for my leaving too! I think it's a good idea to show the examiner that you're able to play many different styles of guitar. I did a guitar arrangement of that Irish song Spancil Hill. Maybe even look into a Spanish song as there's some easy ones floating around and they sound amazing.

This website also has loads of guitar tabs and midi files so you can hear them.
    http://www.classtab.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Podge_b

hey I really need help with my choice of songs.
    I'm doing elective. 6 songs. 3 on electric and 3 on acoustic. This is what I was thinking:

Acoustic:
    Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
    Mejsty (Here I Am) - Delirious?
    Heartbeats - Joze Gonzales

Electric:
    The Loner - Garry Moore
    Emerald - Thin Lizzy

I'm iffy about Heartbeats as I think it would be too repetitive. And also I'm not sure about Emerald... and I need another song.

Please guys tell me what ye think as it's really close now......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I'm also doing guitar, acoustic only though. I'm still trying to decide on my fourth song; I'm thinking either

a) Spanish Romance, Anonymous

b) Albatross, Fleetwood mac (I personally think it sounds nicer on my Classical than this guy's electric)

c) Your Hand in Mine, Explosions in the Sky

Albatross is by far the easiest and also currently the only one I can actually play. Spanish Romance sounds gorgeous though and would probably appeal to examiners more. Your Hand in Mine is quite difficult but if I can get it down by March and my teacher likes it I'll probably play it because it'd be nice to have at least one song I really love in the mix. Might have to bring in another guitarist though, there's 3 guitars in the original song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

damn you!
    i have no idea what im doing still! :( i think im gonna sing with my fairly bad voice with my mate accompanying me on guitar. gonna jus choose 4 oasis songs or something easy along those lines! im pretty much screwed for the practical :(

Albatross is by far the easiest and also currently the only one I can actually play. Spanish Romance sounds gorgeous though and would probably appeal to examiners more. Your Hand in Mine is quite difficult but if I can get it down by March and my teacher likes it I'll probably play it because it'd be nice to have at least one song I really love in the mix. Might have to bring in another guitarist though, there's 3 guitars in the original song.

EITS sounds good, I'd run with that if you can.

Albatross is a bit simplistic be wary of that.

Again Romance is a lovely tune but its really basic, like I was taught that really on in guitar lessons, and it is one of the kinda cliched guitar songs, but whatever your teacher says. Just again be wary of that.

Classical Gas maybe?

it is another one of the kinda done to death ones, but its is a lot more impressive sounding than Romance (As much as I like it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Thing about that is, I'm only dipping my toe into Classical playing with Spanish Romance; I've never recieved lessons in any kind of Classical technique so that one may be a bit too much for me to master in 2 months. Also, as I'm doing two activities (guitar and music technology) my performance will be marked at Ordinary level. My other three songs - Cannonball, Stairway, Blackbird - are pretty simple and straightforward but my teacher says I should get an A1 based on those three. So I don't really need anything too complex for my fourth piece.
    I'm staying behind after school next week to jam with him anyway so I'll scope him out on the three I posted above. Thanks for the advice. Always good to get some perspective on the whole thing.

EDIT: I've just realised that this is the same thread I started way back when, durrrr.

scottless wrote: »
    go for what difference does it make by the smiths that would impress them big time

Fixed it for you..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 scottless

ha thanks very much buddy, nice one, i dont know why it wasn working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Podge_b

right so here's my choices so far:

electric

Gary Moore-The Loner:

Horslips Medley:

and I'm thinking Emerald by Thin Lizzy but I'm not sure about it so please tell me what you think.

The 3 acoustic songs I'm doing are:

Delirious?- Majesty
    Nothing Else Matters- Metallica

and I'm thinking about Heatbeats by Jose gonzales but I have a feeling it's too repetitiv and too simple....

please let me know what ye think lads! I reall need advice!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Spanish Romance sounds gorgeous though and would probably appeal to examiners more. .

Heya, I played Romanza for my practical last year as well. A bit different to the way that guy played it. The examiner really liked it. Should go down well.

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ONdm4sW47c&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Thing about that is, I'm only dipping my toe into Classical playing with Spanish Romance; I've never recieved lessons in any kind of Classical technique so that one may be a bit too much for me to master in 2 months. Also, as I'm doing two activities (guitar and music technology) my performance will be marked at Ordinary level. My other three songs - Cannonball, Stairway, Blackbird - are pretty simple and straightforward but my teacher says I should get an A1 based on those three. So I don't really need anything too complex for my fourth piece.
    I'm staying behind after school next week to jam with him anyway so I'll scope him out on the three I posted above. Thanks for the advice. Always good to get some perspective on the whole thing.

EDIT: I've just realised that this is the same thread I started way back when, durrrr.

I was thinking of doing Your hand in mine too but I already have 6 other pieces and I'm playing classical guitar so I'll probably leave it. If you want a version for one guitar that's pretty easy check out this video. It sounds awful on the video but he includes a tab for it which isn't bad. I'd make a few changes to it myself but it shouldn't be too much hassle.

Advertisement