Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time off problems

Options
  • 12-10-2008 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm working in a shoe shop under a 20 hours/week contract, applied for the part time position which I was given. Recently they've been giving me 35 hours because I'm top of sales consitantly. I'm unhappy with this as I have open university study commitments. They've said 'tough, you can do it whenever, we need you here'. Then this week I have a hospital appointment that I booked the morning off for 3 weeks in advance. I would be able to work my normal shift, but just two hours later than usual which is common to do as the shop is open long hours (9-9). They rang me today to say I can't have the morning off, which means I have to cancel my appointment. :( What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They are obliged to give you a month's notice before assigning or cancelling your leave. They cannot cancel booked leave a few days beforehand.

Working hours depends on your contract really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

They are being totally unreasonable and being honest if your as good as you say you are you should get them to reduce your hours and give your time off that you have requested.

if they dont go somewhere else that appreciates your ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

Find another job and leave. Who do they think they are?

Can you not see that they are heartless greedy so and so's who dont care about people? Their greed has made then inhumane.
    They only think about money and you put a lot of it in their tills every day.
    Where is the appreciation from them huh?

Your studies surely must come first becasue getting your degree will mean that you will be spared a lifetime of working for people like that.

Personally I would go to the hospital because it might be something that gets worse if it is not seen to. You know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

People like this fail to see that by treating their best staff badly they risk losing them.

If I were you I would tell them that the hospital appointment is essential and you have no choice but to go to it. They're not going to fire their best employee because she took 2 hours off to go to the hospital.

Regarding the number of hours they are giving you; did you agree a set number of hours in your contract? I would tell them very clearly that you are able to work this number of hours and no more. Remain flexible about when - for example weekends and other busy periods - to show you are being reasonable and willing to compromise.

If they still insist on scheduling you in for 35 hours I would clearly inform them that I will work the first 20 (or however many as per contract) but not the rest. They need to understand that you mean business so you have to put your foot down.

I would also start looking at other jobs and see about lining up some interviews. It sounds like this isn't a very nice environment to work in and I'm sure there's something better out there!

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I'm working in a shoe shop under a 20 hours/week contract, applied for the part time position which I was given. Recently they've been giving me 35 hours because I'm top of sales consitantly. I'm unhappy with this as I have open university study commitments. They've said 'tough, you can do it whenever, we need you here'. Then this week I have a hospital appointment that I booked the morning off for 3 weeks in advance. I would be able to work my normal shift, but just two hours later than usual which is common to do as the shop is open long hours (9-9). They rang me today to say I can't have the morning off, which means I have to cancel my appointment. :( What can I do?
    Well they might "need you there" , but the hours you work are up to you !
    Your in a very strong position to negotiate with them, but be prepared to look around for another job if they continue to act like you don't have any rights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement