Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power and respect

Options
  • 12-10-2008 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

I think we can generally agree that respect has a certain power.
    But what of the link between power and respect?
    Does personal power necessarily contain an element of respect, or can it exist without it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I don't know if I could agree. Power is relational, there is only interpersonal power. Respect... perhaps that's another thing, but you'd have to define what you mean by power and respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

For me it depends on the person, some respect power, others do not. I do not respect any sort of power or authority which I see as unjustified or suiting a cabal of interests. If power and respect were relative then dictators/governments wouldn't be overthrown, or there wouldn't be any plots towards that end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Power can also lead to resentment or resistence. They do say, for example in a close relationship, such as marriage, that its bad if all the power is on one side .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 willowwan

I definately see a link between 'personal' power and respect. To have respect for yourself and for others is empowering. I guess that is because individually i feel empowered when I am more free from negative thought...

I see a link between power and respect, if you are talking about power that has nothing to do with 'control over others, and over yourself'......

hmmm i dont know if that makes sense...sorry not philosophy person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

First you must define power.

Personally, someone who has my respect has influence over how I think (ie. their opinion matters more to me than someone whom I do not respect). Influence can = power... but like I said, power is a dubious term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Well, from my understanding,

You can respect those who have power over you or not,
    same goes for those whom you have power over.

Its not always an absolute. I dont think it can be summarised by a definite respect=power.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement