Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Irish Racism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I lived in London for a few years and 99% of people (As with anywhere) were cool and fairly nice. But after working in 'the square mile' some of the **** i had to put up with was unreal.

"Does that hat double as a balaclava?"
    "Who smells semtex?"
    "Why wouldn't you want to be called British, it's better than smelling of pig ****?"
    "Lads i'm starving....take that potatoe out of your pocket and make me something nice!"

Etc...etc...

This was all in a highly professional working enviroment. I can picture a foreign person working in Ireland putting up with the same ****. The sun really doesn't shine out of our arses, no matter how much we would like it to. (Well maybe not, thats a bit weird)

Anyway...I wouldn't expect British people to know about the ins and outs of the history between us. As with most things, the average Joe Soap has the general jist of what happened or simply doesn't really care. It doesn't affect their day to day life. I know **** all about football, it's not a bad thing. I'm just not interested.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Zangetsu wrote: »
    Thats true but most of what they are teaching them is a load of bollox eg. Ireland is a part of the UK.

Bit strange they can't get something so basic right?

I hear that on St. Stephens day the english go around to others houses and box the people who live there!

Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    This is just begging for an "I for one would like to welcome" comment...
    I for one would like to welcome the lizard with the gizzard

That's your fault Ikky Poo.
    taidghbaby wrote: »
    ray houghton, steven reid, lee carsley, tony cascarino and countless others?????

Yeah it was a disgrace the way the FAI made them play for the Republic of Ireland against their will wasn't it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

"Who smells semtex?"

Haha! I would have said, "good nose!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

thelordofcheese
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zangetsu View Post
    Thats true but most of what they are teaching them is a load of bollox eg. Ireland is a part of the UK.

I hear that on St. Stephens day the english go around to others houses and box the people who live there!

Madness!

Lil hungover, can someone translate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

i hear british girls love irish men anyway so that makes up for it.

Great, we can have Jade Goody slobbering over us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

thelordofcheese
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zangetsu View Post

Madness!

Lil hungover, can someone translate?

Ohh, i thought we were having a "make the most retarded statement" competiton. Sorry, I'm competitive by nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

funk-you wrote: »
    I lived in London for a few years and 99% of people (As with anywhere) were cool and fairly nice. But after working in 'the square mile' some of the **** i had to put up with was unreal.

"Does that hat double as a balaclava?"
    "Who smells semtex?"
    "Why wouldn't you want to be called British, it's better than smelling of pig ****?"
    "Lads i'm starving....take that potatoe out of your pocket and make me something nice!"

There's some good ones there. :D

Good job you're not Welsh, the English are real Baaastards to them:D

Madness!

don't you mean St Stephenseseses day?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I remember I went out one night for a pint and got talking to some English fella , I wasn't in a great humour just one of them nights and he was ranting on about england this and that for about ten mins when he's drinking a gin and tonic and says.

"You know fella, this is our queens favourite drink, so if it's good enough for her!"

(Raises his glass to me)

Him: God save the queen...

Me: Ah **** your queen!!

He nearly dropped his glass from horror, oh no not the queen I shall lash out my sword and defent her honour...

What would you have done, had this happened in Dublin, and the English guy had made the same comment about the Irish President?

If I were in another country, anywhere in the world, I certainly wouldn't piss off the natives by slagging off the figurehead. In some countries, you tend to disappear after mouthing off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

everyone is, they're welsh for **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just wondering here, but as an Irishman living in the UK, I have experienced quite a few anti-Irish sentiments from English people. To be more precise... I'm in Cardiff
    Hey, if you don't like the UK, feck off back to Gl'wyeh Paddy!

don't you mean St Stephenseseses day?

Zing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

One thing that does get me though is the lack of education english students have about everything that happened between us in the past. It has happened to myself and a few mates on several occasions where we were talking to a group of english lads, all of which believed that Ireland was part of the UK just as much as Scotland or Wales. I was even more shocked to find out this is what they have been told in schools. And I'm not just talking NI, I'm talking the whole fookin republic.

Needless to say I made sure they understood the situation by the time they left.

I have had the same with cousins that were brougth up in the UK they are only tought about the glorious birtish empire and the 'good' it did and not about the facts of what happened in countries under british rule.

We took them to Kilmainham and they were shocked when they learned some real history.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I have had the same with cousins that were brougth up in the UK they are only tought about the glorious birtish empire and the 'good' it did and not about the facts of what happened in countries under british rule.

We took them to Kilmainham and they were shocked when they learned some real history.

There is quite a lot of that in history lessons, but a lot depends on your teacher. I had some real leftie teachers who loved telling you just how bad the British empire was, we learned a lot about the Tolpuddle Martyrs though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

All very interesting, I discovered this weekend that in River Island in the UK they sell this

I haven't seen a similar 'Pakistani/Indian accent spray' on sale and doubt I will.

I was stood in the queue at River Island by the tills while a group of English kids and a German family all attempted to speak with an Irish accent. The English kids were making out that the Irish were retarded. I just looked at them, said "Would you mind not doing that, I find it quite offensive!"

It was great to see so many jaws drop in unison while their faces turned simultaneously red. Talk about an awkward moment (for them, I loved it). The Germans obviously understood as well because they quickly looked at the ground.

It was deliciously evil making those people feel very, very uncomfortable. You could have heard a pin drop in the queue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Lived in London and worked in the square mile for about 18 years. During the time the IRA was blowing the **** out of the place.

Yes I had a few nasty “Paddy” remarks but mostly banter. I found the Irish living there had more hang ups then the English. There are stupid people everywhere to be honest so OP you’re going to meet people like that no matter where you are in the world!

I was asked by a guy in New York one time “where was I from?” I said, “Ireland” his reply was, “Did I get the subway from there into Manhattan every day?” beggars belief….

An English guy asked me one day “was Ireland in Wales”?

I was grateful to live and work in the UK when I did and to of had so many friends of all races; English very much included. :)

r3nu4l wrote: »
    All very interesting, I discovered this weekend that in River Island in the UK they sell this

I haven't seen a similar 'Pakistani/Indian accent spray' on sale and doubt I will.

I was stood in the queue at River Island by the tills while a group of English kids and a German family all attempted to speak with an Irish accent. The English kids were making out that the Irish were retarded. I just looked at them, said "Would you mind not doing that, I find it quite offensive!"

It was great to see so many jaws drop in unison while their faces turned simultaneously red. Talk about an awkward moment (for them, I loved it). The Germans obviously understood as well because they quickly looked at the ground.

It was deliciously evil making those people feel very, very uncomfortable. You could have heard a pin drop in the queue :)

FAF.:D

I've seen that stuff in the gift shops in Dublin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

When I worked over there myself and another Iriah lad I worked with tried to teach this 6' 4'' 2nd generation Nigerian guy we worked with some Irish sayings.

He couldn't get his tongue around "I'm a savage for bacon & cabbage", it was like a tongue twister for him. T

his resulted in us standing in the kitchen of the office with this guy repeating:
    "I'm a savage..."
    "I'm a savage..."
    "I'm... a... savage..."

Now that was racist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

One thing that does get me though is the lack of education english students have about everything that happened between us in the past.

Yeah. Well I live in a very well educated city. It is interesting what even the educated know, and dont. I met a woman professor once. She was syaing she had been in Cobh once, and was appalled at the size of the Cathedral. Built she said, during the famine. The impliaction was that the Catholic church was siphoning off funds during the famine. What she clearly didnt know was the reality of penal laws at the time, all Irish peasants had to pay for the upkeep of the Protestant churches, and made voluntary contributions to the Catholic church. And it was Britain, not Catholicism which was responsible. This lady, I hasten to add, was a liberal. Anyway I didnt put her right since it would seem rude and nationalistic.

English hisotry as taught generally consists of the magna carta, the norman invasion, the civil wars, the wars against the spainards, Naploean etc. No mention of Empire, or penal laws. I was telling people about the British East India company. There is a "Whig" version which is specifically anti-Catholic ( and anti-Catholicism is definitely obvious in England) and is generally nonsense. There was as much enlightment in Catholic Europe ( and more Renaissance) as in Protestant Europe.

Oh, and the new English racism is being appalled by the furreners racism. I have heard " I hate the Welsh, they are racist" and "I hate the Australians, they are racist" in upper-middle class dinner parties. I doubt if we would do much better if I were not there.

that said, they are a lovely people. Ignorance and mild xenophobia is not the whole story. I live in the South West and they are the nicest people on these Islands. The North East runs them close. The Welsh are bitter and the Scots bitter and Tacitorn. We are ok, but our friendliness has taken a hit during the tiger.

• Advertisement

All very interesting, I discovered this weekend that in River Island in the UK they sell this [ Irish Accent]

Surely that is not offensive , quite the opposite. the idea is that it is a "sexy" or attractive accent ( something that is lost on me when I come back to Dublin). They probably would have a Italian version, as well. Maybe a French one. Not a Brummie one.

DubArk wrote: »
    I was asked by a guy in New York one time “where was I from?” I said, “Ireland” his reply was, “Did I get the subway from there into Manhattan every day?” beggars belief….

An English guy asked me one day “was Ireland in Wales”?

I love stories about ignorant fordiners. My sister was asked by a nurse in America if we had cats and dogs in Ireland. It's not the most ignorant thing I've heard but you would expect a nurse to be a little brighter than that.

I met some English girls on holiday in Portugal years ago who genuinely asked if we had electricity in Ireland and television.

Maybe I'm seeing through emerald tinted glasses but I really don't think I've met any Irish person who wasn't obviously mentally deficient who was that ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

javaboy wrote: »
    Maybe I'm seeing through emerald tinted glasses but I really don't think I've met any Irish person who wasn't obviously mentally deficient who was that ignorant.

Ah now you haven't looked far....

http://www.brightidea.ie/jackiehealyrae/policy.html

:eek:

DubArk wrote: »
    Ah now you haven't looked far....

http://www.brightidea.ie/jackiehealyrae/policy.html

:eek:

Please reread my post paying special attention to the bit that excludes people obviously suffering from bad humours in the brainial department.

javaboy wrote: »

what about anyone who has ever voted Fianna fail?

what about anyone who has ever voted Fianna fail?

yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

asdasd wrote: »
    Surely that is not offensive , quite the opposite. the idea is that it is a "sexy" or attractive accent ( something that is lost on me when I come back to Dublin). They probably would have a Italian version, as well. Maybe a French one. Not a Brummie one.

It wasn't the piece itself that was offensive (and I doubt the Germans were being) but the 18-19 year old kids were being offensive about Irish people. True, our accent does seem to make many foreign women (not all) weak at the knees :) My point remains however that I doubt we'll see Indian/Pakistani accents on sale in English shops, despite the fact that some people find them sexy.

Also, I didn't personally find any of it 'truly' offensive but it was great fun winding those people up and perhaps making them think a little before they speak in future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Stupid Canadian first and foremost, Jesusland just got bigger. Must have been an Albertan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 púca-mór

I remember something similar when Eddie Irvine was racing for Ferrari,when he made the podium,ITV would say "Britian's Eddie Irvine",when he'd crash out it was "Ireland's Eddie Irvine".

So very true... I read an article in history before about British Identity through the ages - basically, the english hated being associated with the boggers and farmers of Scotland, Ireland, Wales... but as soon as there was someone successful from any of those countries - they were brits... and then in those countries there were those who aspired to be british (like self hating [insert nationality])
    there are loads of Irish people in England, some are from the north and are British, some are form the north and aren't. Then you have some from the south, who hate people form the north yet support an English football team and their national team consists mainly of people born in London.

I have encountered so many irish views (lots of variables) on what they are. Things are far from simple.

I'm from Co. Down just north of the border by 50km...
    I now study/live in Limerick, and i find it interesting to encounter the various opinions/ideas/beliefs of people.

I carry an Irish passport, I do not have a british passport (though if i wanted one i could get one - so could any person from teh republic if they live in britain for a year AFAIK.)

The other day while getting my hair cut in north tipp the girl said to me; "you're not from this country are you"...
    i replied laughing, "yeah i am, i'm from up north..."
    she said; "yeah that's what i meant."
    And i suppose in someways she's not entirely wrong... Geo-politically - but fairly ignorant of the reality of a complex and convoluted situation.

You may laugh and troll - but it is genuinely hard to have your national identity questioned constantly - to feel you have to justify yourself to people.
    I am proud to be an Irishman, and proud to be an Ulsterman.

Despite the onward march of European development and increasing globilisation national identity remains important culturally and generally at a local level.

• Advertisement

you're not from this country are you"

She didnt say different Island. To be fair.

Advertisement