Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Irish Racism

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hands up who can safely say what nationality people from
    Jersey
    The Isle of Man
    Gibraltar

are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Abba are Swedish?!!!
    Jersey
    The Isle of Man
    Gibraltar

Dem last boys are British

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Hands up who can safely say what nationality people from
    Jersey
    The Isle of Man
    Gibraltar

are?

I just call people from the Isle of Man Mannish. e.g. look at that Mannish boy over there. The whole issue of it not being part of the UK but essentially governed by it muddies the waters a bit.

asdasd wrote: »
    Abba are Swedish?!!!

3/4 Swedish. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

javaboy wrote: »
    I know you're only having a laugh and all but that's crap and you know it. That's like saying ABBA give up their right to be called Swedish because they 'exploited' other markets. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it wasn't entirely serious, but its easy to tell ABBA are not British, one of our most popular TV presenters is called Dermot O'Leary and we had a guy called Danny Murphy playing for England. see why it gets confusing?
    javaboy wrote: »
    I just call people from the Isle of Man Mannish. e.g. look at that Mannish boy over there. The whole issue of it not being part of the UK but essentially governed by it muddies the waters a bit.

there are people living on the isle of man :eek:

• Advertisement

one of our most popular TV presenters is called Dermot O'Leary

A follower of the ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

As for Boyzone, they used to be on on British TV every 5 minutes, just like Dara O'Briain is now. It seems that it is ok for the Irish to expliot the British markets and earn a fortune out of them, but then get all indignant when they get called British. make yer mind up lads:D

So there's a Topshop/Topman in every high street in the country these days and they make a fortune out of Ireland yet nobody confuses them as Irish or calls them an Irish shop...so why would anyone call a guy with an accent from the Irish Republic "British", even if he is on TV all the time? Again, it's down to ignorance. Both countries (Ireland and England) have lots of ignorant people in them but England and many English people seem to revel in and celebrate ignorance...unfortunately Ireland is going the same way... :( The lowest common denominator seems to be very popular these days.

A follower of the ROI.

Are you trying to say he is Irish?

r3nu4l wrote: »
    So there's a Topshop/Topman in every high street in the country these days and they make a fortune out of Ireland yet nobody confuses them as Irish or calls them an Irish shop...so why would anyone call a guy with an accent from the Irish Republic "British", even if he is on TV all the time? Again, it's down to ignorance. Both countries (Ireland and England) have lots of ignorant people in them but England and many English people seem to revel in and celebrate ignorance...unfortunately Ireland is going the same way... :( The lowest common denominator seems to be very popular these days.

another difference is that no one in England would give a **** if you did, although no one in England would notice because no on in England watches Irish TV waiting for them to make a mistake they can criticise.

I agree though, ignorance seems to be the order of the day. The debate on Victoria Beckham's boob job is more important than pretty much anything else these days.

Are you trying to say he is Irish?

No. Just saying. Personally I think he should support england. ( I live in England but support ireland but I was brought up there, he was brought up in England).

Fails the cricket test, that blighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

javaboy--the people from gibraltar are british [because that is what they like to be. ] a lot of them were born in ireland
    all the years i have traveled around the republic i have never once met anyone giving me any racist banter.but i have had a lot of racist remarks in the south of england--because of my manchester accent.
    i am suprised that any irishman living in london met an englishman -the english native moved out of there years ago.---so to all the anti english on the boards get over your complex and get on with your life--you sad people

A follower of the ROI.

Dermot who was born in Colchester, studied at middlesex Uni and lived all his life in North London gets voted this:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In the February issue of Irish society magazine Social and Personal, Dermot was voted the sexiest man in Ireland out of the Top 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Sorry, i thought nothing else happened in this country over the last 800 ;)

Your talking to the wrong people so.
    read my earlier thread about the confusion. Snow Patrol are a pretty good example. They won best british band at the Brits and Best Irish band at the Meteors. tell me how that one ****ing works.

I don't know, I didn't draw up the rules for the competitions or watch them.
    As for Boyzone, they used to be on on British TV every 5 minutes, just like Dara O'Briain is now. It seems that it is ok for the Irish to expliot the British markets and earn a fortune out of them, but then get all indignant when they get called British. make yer mind up lads:D

I think you'll notice they do the same thing. Damn you EU, damn you to hell! and the International community :rolleyes:

Straight after work, I'm going to go burn down a McDonalds.
    oohh, for got to add, no one would notice these mistakes if they didn't watch British TV all the time.

Damn you Murdoch, damn you to hell! Again not the Irish peoples fault that our national broadcaster prefers to give all their money to a piece of wood that presents the late, late show instead of you know, making good programs.

We watch US TV too, should we consider ourselves American too? But how can you be from two countries? Please enlighten me?

getz wrote: »
    javaboy--the people from gibraltar are british [because that is what they like to be. ] a lot of them were born in ireland

Um thanks. I wasn't asking though. Pickarooney was. :)

brim4brim wrote: »
    We watch US TV too, should we consider ourselves American too? But how can you be from two countries? Please enlighten me?

Maybe that's the problem, its not that the irish are getting too British, it is that we are all getting too, you know, like totally american.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Maybe that's the problem, its not that the irish are getting too British, it is that we are all getting too, you know, like totally american.:D

I'd go along with us adopting a lot of American stuff from the mixing of cultures.

Wars for some, miniature American flags for others.

I don't see a problem with the mixing of cultures. Some people will say we are less Irish or whatever but that's basically an argument against cultural evolution which is nonsense because it has always occurred.

It is only natural that the more contact and exposure we have to foreign cultures, the more of the things we like about those cultures will be embraced and brought into our own culture sometimes at the expense of other things in our culture. Whether consuerism is a part of culture is another debate :D

You'll always have people that disagree with everything but if they are in the minority, they won't get their way.

In the February issue of Irish society magazine Social and Personal, Dermot was voted the sexiest man in Ireland out of the Top 100.

He was in Ireland at the time. Came over to collect his award, didnt he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

"How can you say you're separate when the Queen governs the north?"

You call that racism? Jeez man, talk about sensitive.

Johnny English likes to make cracks about the Scots, Welsh and Irish. Sometimes it's humour, sometimes it's something a little nastier. Get over it! Ever seen Al Murray's 'four types of Scotsman' routine? Funny thing is, Murray's a Scottish name.

If you are sound to people, they'll generally be sound back! That's what I've found anyway. I for one never feel a need to 'educate' English people on Irish politics. What's the point? It just makes one seem insecure.

TBH, the fact that some British people aren't really aware that WE are not British means they don't consider us 'outsiders'. On the other hand, you have Billy Orangeman who's only TOO aware that we are "not like him".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

No the problem is the amount of ignorance and arrogance of people in the UK, towards Ireland and the Irish.

After 100's of years trying to destroy "Irishness" Killing off the language and so on. We had a cultural revolution. And then a freaking WAR A war 80+ years ago so as to no longer be called British...

To have them continue to pull this **** on us after all that....
    Can you not see how its so utterly offensive? And its pretty damn retarded too.

I mean sure, plenty of people over here will muddle up british and english, but this isnt out of ignorance, its closer to slang. You ask that same person thats muddled that up, what countries make up the UK and they'll know the answer.

Unlike a ridiculous amount of people in the UK....

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    No the problem is the amount of ignorance and arrogance of people in the UK, towards Ireland and the Irish.

After 100's of years trying to destroy "Irishness" Killing off the language and so on. We had a cultural revolution. And then a freaking WAR A war 80+ years ago so as to no longer be called British...

I mean sure, plenty of people over here will muddle up british and english, but this isnt out of ignorance, its closer to slang. You ask that same person thats muddled that up, what countries make up the UK and they'll know the answer.

Maybe they really dont care!? ;)

• Advertisement

Cunny-Funt wrote: »

what, you think the girl the OP was refering to wants to reclaim ireland? what's your point or are you just pissed off that, in reality, the Irish just aren't that important to the English?

Sure, you're a nice bunch and all that, but cry me a river mate, we've got more important things to worry about...like X Factor

Aaaaahhh. Who needa a biiiiig huggy wuggy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

Dudess wrote: »
    Sectarianism from the Celtic supporters too though.

Anti-Irishness by fellow Celts/Anglo Saxons isn't racism by the way...

Hmm as somebody who has probably never even been to Glasgow, never mind to an Old Firm game, how would you know? Typical D4 attitude.

Oh and FYI 'According to the United Nations conventions, there is no distinction between the term racial discrimination and ethnic discrimination.' so the treatment of Catholics in Scotland and the singing of 'The Famine Song' can indeed be construed as racist, a fact admitted by the Chief Executive of Glasgow Rangers.
    And for the rest of you who have a problem with English people, why go around wearing Utd, Liverpool, Spurs tops if you hate them that much?
    Personally I have no problem with English people, as one poster above said, if you are sound to them, they are sound back, just like in any other country I imagine. The vast majority of English people don't give a crap about the North, if it was up to them they would hand it back tomorrow. Why blame them for events which happened almost 100 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

Originally Posted by Dudess
    Sectarianism from the Celtic supporters too though.

Anti-Irishness by fellow Celts/Anglo Saxons isn't racism by the way...

Hmm as somebody who has probably never even been to Glasgow, never mind to an Old Firm game, how would you know? Typical D4 attitude.

Oh and FYI 'According to the United Nations conventions, there is no distinction between the term racial discrimination and ethnic discrimination.' so the treatment of Catholics in Scotland and the singing of 'The Famine Song' can indeed be construed as racist, a fact admitted by the Chief Executive of Glasgow Rangers.

I think anyone who believes it is a one sided thing is burying their heads in the sand... both sides are as bad as each other... some of the songs that are heard at Parkhead are as bad as those in Ibrox...

and before you make any claim I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm from Glasgow and have lived here for 10 years...

I do agree though with your point that if you decide to live and let live and just integrate and not try and impose your opinions on people then people do just get along... we're really all pretty similar at the end of the day..! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

Disco Stu wrote: »
    I think anyone who believes it is a one sided thing is burying their heads in the sand... both sides are as bad as each other... some of the songs that are heard at Parkhead are as bad as those in Ibrox...

care to elaborate?
    and before you make any claim I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm from Glasgow and have lived here for 10 years...

So if you are from Glasgow why have you only lived there for 10 years? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

So I'm wondering, has anyone else experienced the same thing? What do you do in a situation like that again? I have received a few snide remarks about this...I never thought I would encounter it. For the most part, I really like the English... this just suprised me I guess?

I'm not usually very patriotic or anything but I did feel like my identity was in question. I don't like that and also, I feel "Irish jokes" reinforce the negative stereotypes that belittle us.

Opinions/Advice?

Cheers.

In Sweden I had a few examples of more so ignorance than racism. I was asked 'So how is the sterling doing???' 'So youre Irish?' 'yes' 'So that means youre British?' To round it off, a kid, when finding out I was Irish turns to me and says 'Alroiiiight maiteee!!' in a Cockney accent.

Was all rather strange!

Rockee wrote: »
    In Sweden I had a few examples of more so ignorance than racism. I was asked 'So how is the sterling doing???' 'So youre Irish?' 'yes' 'So that means youre British?' To round it off, a kid, when finding out I was Irish turns to me and says 'Alroiiiight maiteee!!' in a Cockney accent.

Was all rather strange!

No different from someone confusing a German with an Austrian or a Canadian with an American etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

care to elaborate?

Plenty of pro IRA songs which are argued to be "songs of independence" but in reality are equally as offensive to some people as the "Famine" crap that is being spewed by the twats in Ibrox...

Mostly it's people who don't really know the facts (not that I claim to but i wouldn't get involved in singing the rubbish) and who sing them from both sides in a deliberate attempt to provoke trouble... most rangers and celtic fans i know in scotland are best mates who grew up together and get on great...
    So if you are from Glasgow why have you only lived there for 10 years? :)

Lived "here" for 10 years :)

Will admit I've never had any problem with the Irish other than them referring to me as English when I've got a dirty Scottish accent!!! Haha...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

No different from someone confusing a German with an Austrian or a Canadian with an American etc

Exactly, as I said it was more ignorance than anything else. I laughed it off.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I work with a LOT of Asians and have done do for about 8 years now.

Even if you sits down with them and explain all the differences between Ireland and the UK; the differences between Celtic peoples and Anglo-Saxon peoples, they still say that as far they are concerned we're 99% the same. And after having spent 10 years out of Ireland the difference between the mentality of certain British peoples and Irish is very difficult to spot at times.

Advertisement