Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My wisdom teeth are trying to kill me!!!

• 12-10-2008 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭

My wisdom teeth are really starting to get in the way, they're about half way out. They can get very sore for about a week and then the pain abates for another few weeks, then all of a sudden when I least expect it they start to ache again. Sometimes small blisters form in the area but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the wisdom teeth.

Also, when I chew food I catch the inside of my cheeks with my wisdom teeth. I would really like to have them yanked out they're a serious pain in every sense of the word.

So, has anyone ever gotten them yanked out? What kind of cost am looking at? Also if I don't get them removed, does the agony end at some stage in your life? I'm 22.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hardly a PI....

but yes they will get worse
    I suggest a trip to dentist.

No idea on price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Use mouthwash every morning and night, I used Listerine when mine were killing me before I had them removed a year or so ago. I know that it sounds mad but it works trust me, it does take the pain away!

I have no idea how much mine cost, I had them done in a private clinic in Dublin, I'm not sure if it was partially covered by the VHI or PRSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

Hussey where do you suggest I post this? In the Wisdom Teeth forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ASIL1983

0utpost31 wrote: »
    Hussey where do you suggest I post this? In the Wisdom Teeth forum?

There is a dental forum which was very helpful for me when i was getting my wisdom tooth out. I had an impacted one removed last week with a local anasthetic in my dentists for 130euro including an xray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

Had mine out in april( all 4) in the sports surgery clinic in santry, my dentist referred me. I was on vhi lifestage choices and cost me about €450 on top of what vhi paid. some plans will pay the whole lot(bar consultations). hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The dental forum is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=627

You'll probably get better replies there. I think at least one of the mods is a dentist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Dental Forum

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

mine were 80 euro to get out but i didnt pay the bill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

My wisdom teeth are killing me atm and I want to just rip them out. I'm going to try that mouth-wash thing now when I go home. Is there any food I should avoid? I can't wait when they get taken out... Just a month to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Yes... there are a few foods you should avoid!

Any fruits with hard seeds (eg raspberries, kiwi's, blackberries, currants). You need to watch out for these things especially in jams and yougerts. I find that the small seeds get trapped under the gum, and lead to infection

Popcorn... the hard edges of the popped kernel get trapped in the gum, again leading to infection.

Even though it hurts, make sure you brush the area throughly, and rinse your mouth out with hot salt water or Listerine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I do the Listerine and popcorn usually gets stuck and I spend like the whole movie getting rid of it! I've been eating Kiwi's like three times a week... I shall avoid now until the surgery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭sunnydelight

hey just got 2 of my wisdom teeth out last fri. had the other 2 out years ago. so now i have no wisdom what so ever. only advice, i would suggest to get them out asap. i went on the waiting list for dublin dental, it took a while to get an appointment but after months of wait i finally got one, 4 days later i got a cancellation appt to get them out and now i am done & dusted. the cost is 66 euro for the consultation and to get them out i think it costs around 450 euro. if you are covered by VHI you can claim back some of the cost. they send you out a pre cert form that the dental hosp fill in. also get a med 2 form and claim off that as for the balance.

as for pain, i didnt get knocked out they sedate you now. and i was so out of it i didnt feel a thing. after the op its uncomfortable but nothing you can't handle. pain killers and salt & water and your sorted. i feel fine now and i notice the difference already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I had em out - it was expensive but I'm pretty sure my VHI paid for it at the time in some fancy southside clinic. Have had braces in the past and had teeth removed for that which was VERY painful - the wisdom teeth I was put totally under, so no pain. Had to get the "holes" they left behind stitched shut, which limited my jaw movement for a good bit, plus my face swelled up and I resembled the common or garden variety hamster at the time ;)totally worth it though, my wisdoms were pushing my regular teeth forward, so I had no other option! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Quadrinity1

Get rid of the blighters! One of the best decisions I ever made was to have them all taken out. It was almost all covered on my VHI bar, I think, one consultation fee of around €120 and I had it done in the lovely Mt Carmel by a top orthodontist AND I got to have some great morphine afterwards which is always a bonus.
    The pain I experienced in the years before the op was phenomenal and the wisdom teeth caused all the rest of my teeth to squash up even worse. And by the way, it won't get better - if it hurts that bad, it's because there's no room for them. I also had no bad post-operative experiences at all, so certainly not everybody has a hard time with the operation. Whip 'em out, i say!!

Advertisement