Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a jacket - possible in this situation?

Options
  • 12-10-2008 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi, I recently bought a jacket in River Island and after brining it home and trying it on in my own environment, I find that the jacket is too big for me.

I'd like to bring it back for a smaller size (I really want the jacket) however I foolishly cut the tags off the jacket when I brought it home.

I still have the tags (just not on the jacket) and the receipt.

Where do I stand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hi, I recently bought a jacket in River Island and after brining it home and trying it on in my own environment, I find that the jacket is too big for me.

I'd like to bring it back for a smaller size (I really want the jacket) however I foolishly cut the tags off the jacket when I brought it home.

Where do I stand?

You stand in the same place as if you hadn't cut the tags off the jacket. ie you have no comeback, it's totally up to the shop on whether they want to take it back. If they don't tag the clothes in the shop they might be more reluctant to take it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you have no right to anything here but the worst they can say is no so give it a shot and be nice about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'm pretty sure I've been given a refund by River Island in the situation you describe. They'll probably have a good look at it since there's a chance you've worn it, but it should be fine. They just use these gun things to reattach the tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

If you have the reciept they might leave you exchange it as a goodwill gesture if the item is in a perfect condition. No harm trying anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Take it back in with the receipt and tags and in good condition. Tell them what happened and maybe they'll be nice to you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Where do I stand?

Most clothing chains have an exchange policy or a credit note in place for situations like this. I've returned items to stores in the past with tags unattached. Normally the policy is the item has to be in a saleable condition so not smell or be dirty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've never had a problem bringing back an article when I asked for an exchange for the exact same item in a smaller size.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

often buy stuff in the xmas sale there and end up bringing half it back cos of sizing issues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Hey there,

I brought a skirt back to River Island just last week, I had a receipt but no tags on the skirt I had to take it off as it was too close to the side zip and I couldn't get the zip up.
    I explained it to the manager (Blanchardstown) and she was really helpful, exchanged the skirt on the spot for something of the same value. (Almost identical skirt!!)

Try it, I find River Island are pretty kewl about it.

Bell:D

Advertisement