Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish aiste help pleeeaaase!

Options
  • 12-10-2008 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

help!...my irish teacher is the worst teacher you could ever come across...every weekend she give us an essay to do and has never given us an help or tips on how to write essays! I want to start writing good essays now so i'll be well able for them in the exam but I just need some extra help with them to get them up to A1/A2 standard.

Any advice?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Well i dunno if i can help you to get to an A2 standard seeing as i couldnt manage it myself, but i think that was just my lack of correct irish, more than not knowing how to write an essay... I got a B2 overall

The main thing you have to do, the same with an essay in english is never lose contact with the question. Fortunately, doing this in irish is a lot easier than english. In the aiste you can be blatantly obvious about referring back.i.e the aiste is about the wonderful life of a student, write a paragraph about the unfairness of current eduation system, then repeat the title: THe wonderful life of a student(cant rememeber the irish:() and then say na bi ag magadh fum, or something

Secondly, keep your sentences short. If you ramble on in big long sentences, and you are trying to get across more than onr point in a sentence, you will confuse yourslef. And if you confuse yourself while writing, there is no hope for the examiner.

Make sure you essay is divided into one point per paragraph.

Learn off introduction phrases, that can be used for any title. If you learn them off correctly, then it will be flawless irish, and a good starting point for the examiner to begin correcting your essay, also it will boost your confidence.

Try and make sure for that every essay title that you learn, that you have 3 to 5 perfect examples of the tuiseal ginideach, leanred off so you can show off to the examiner.(this also stands for the filiocht and the pros)

Look into doing a diaspoirecht. They are easier than you would think, and i was able to learn off between a half a pafe and 3/4rs(depending on the size of my writing) of perfect irish to introduce it, which means that you only half to come up with a two pages on the day for the perfect length written piece. I'll have a look for my old notes and i can post up some useful stuff here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Fresh Breeze

For some reason, all my essays on Ireland were negative. Bad health system, education system, homelessness, terrorism, Ireland is "too sporty", Technology taking over, losing our language.

1 point per paragraph. Elaborate.
    Get a revision book or something where you can use stock quotes.
    "Soandso is destroying our country piece by piece"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

what's the tuiseal ginideach?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Genitive case- timpeall an tí and stuff like that.

I much prefer the diospóireacht myself, you can learn off an intro and an ending which makes things so much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

There's only 20% or something going for the actual points you make in the essay, and 70% for grammar and whathaveye so I'd focus on that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Well, it's of vital importance to stay on topic (which is what that 20% is about). Even if your Irish is perfect, if you're talking about something completely irrelevant you'll lose marks over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Yeah, of course, but it doesn't have to be world-changing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Indignance is the key.

To maximise Irishness, be sure to complain constantly about all aspects of the topic. If it's given in a positive light, disagree completely from the outset and moan away for a page or two. Presumably, the examiners are crusty ould folk who recognise a kindred spirit and give good marks to a good whine.

Also, everything is a big scandal that's everyone's talking about. Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Totally. That's why the díospóireacht is so good. I did one on "The Media's Control over Ireland" or something in my LC, and my god, by the time I'd finished writing it, I could have gone and punched a journalist I was so riled up. (Though, in my fervour I decided to scrap the usual layout of writing debates... I skipped the closing paragraph in favour of a punching ending, which was somewhat dangerous... but what can you do.)

Advertisement