Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Clumping Bamboo?

Options
  • 12-10-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi there, does anyone know where we can get Clumping Bamboo (Tall, dense growing to form a privacy screen) as most of the garden centres/nurseries around us only seem to have the running bamboo and we don't really want to have to dig the Grand Canyon in our garden :) We're in Wicklow so any suppliers in the Dublin/East area would be great.

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Lumbarda wrote: »
    Hi there, does anyone know where we can get Clumping Bamboo (Tall, dense growing to form a privacy screen) as most of the garden centres/nurseries around us only seem to have the running bamboo and we don't really want to have to dig the Grand Canyon in our garden :) We're in Wicklow so any suppliers in the Dublin/East area would be great.

Thanks a million.

Scalpwood Nurseries on the Enniskerry Road, Kilternan, opposite the Artificial Ski Slope, have a good range of mainly clumping Bammboos (Phyllostachys Aurea, Nigra, Spectabilis etc) in a range of sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

Scalpwood Nurseries on the Enniskerry Road, Kilternan, opposite the Artificial Ski Slope, have a good range of mainly clumping Bammboos (Phyllostachys Aurea, Nigra, Spectabilis etc) in a range of sizes.

does anybody know how expensive they might be?

bibibobo wrote: »
    does anybody know how expensive they might be?

Depends on size, but could start as low as € 20.00 and very large specimens (> 5m ) over € 300.00. Why not ring them and find out:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If it's easier for you to get the running bamboo, you could take steps to contain it (I believe a good way is to buy a big, teracotta pot, plant it in the pot, and then bury the pot in the groud with just the lip above ground level, but I'll hear any argument against that if people believe even that doesn't work).

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Thanks a million for those answers. Will take a run over to Scalpwood Nurseries at the weekend and have a look. Just one question, I thought (but only based on internet so probably wrong/confused :)) the Phyllostachys were runners? It's brilliant if they're not as they seem to be the easiest ones to find. The pot is a good idea tho' I did read on some website that they'll work their way out through any holes in the pot, they'll also bend metal apparently - Uri Geller eat your heart out :)

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Phyllostachys are clumpers, although you can get the occasional wayward root. But if I were planting them in planters, I would use first plant them in rigid plastic containers ie water tank grade, as bamboo root is incredibily strong and select an outer decorative planter to suit tank. This applies to large bamboo (> 5m), on the otherhand an 1800mm black stem Phyllostachys could be easily contained within normal planter pots and limit shoot development and trim foliage to keep in check etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Thanks Sonnenblumen, that's great to know. It's for screening so we'll need tall ones (4-6m) so your plastic container idea is a great one. Will head over to Kilternan at the weekend and have a look.

Thanks again.

Advertisement