Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs Skin

Options
  • 12-10-2008 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

hey,

My fourteen year old dog seems to have sore skin, when she is sitting she sometimes flicks her head toward her back like she would itch or nibble at it if she were younger.

If I pet her and touch her back she lifts her paw to itch it too. She is in good form otherwise. I asked the vet about it and the fact that you can see black parts of skin on parts of her and she suggested that its fleas and skin pigmintation. I have deflead her but she is still the same.

Any ideas whats wrong or what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Find another vet?
    Seeing as you've de-flea'd the dog and its still going on. Did you use an application that would cover other things as well as fleas (such as mites), have you washed all the bedding etc to make sure there's not transfer?

Sore and itchy skin is not fun at all for a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

The older an animal gets the more allergies they develop, if she is losing hair from the base of her tail up it's a flea allergies and you need to use something like strong hold that kills the fleas before they bite as it's the saliva from the flea bite that causes the allergies and one bite is enough to wipe out half her coat over night.

Make sure you also use one for mite and mange as well and worm her and as Beth said make sure you wash every were she sleeps or spends time, you can even get a powder in the shops to shake around the house to get ride of anything you can't see.

Try changing washing powders or change back if you already have, things like shaken n' vac irritate the skin as well as fabric fresheners like breeze, you have to keep note of what you are eliminating and see how you get on from there. Also older dogs need senior food so maybe a change in diet will serve her well and a teaspoon of cod liver oil about 3-4 times a week in her food should help the condition of her skin and coat in prove.

Advertisement