Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can dealers have private sales?

Options
  • 12-10-2008 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

There is a 99 Corrolla for sale in a local supermarket car park. I recognised the phone number as that of a dealer. But when I phoned he said it was aprivate sale no warranty and that no waranty was needed on a 99 Corolla. It was 2,600 but he would take 2,500.

What is the situation ?If I bought it would I have comeback since he is a dealer?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

There is a 99 Corrolla for sale in a local supermarket car park. I recognised the phone number as that of a dealer. But when I phoned he said it was aprivate sale no warranty and that no waranty was needed on a 99 Corolla. It was 2,600 but he would take 2,500.

What is the situation ?If I bought it would I have comeback since he is a dealer?

If he is a dealer then he is liable. He cannot avoid his legal obligations by saying it is a private sale. If he is trying to do so he is an extremely dodgy character. Whatever theoretical rights you may have will be worthless unless you are prepared to go back and confront him, go to the Small Claims Court and send the sherrif after him.
    Turning up at his door saying "the engine has conked out" and "you really are a dealer , so replace it" is a bit like asking a hungry pit bull terrier to share his dinner with you.
    Why buy trouble? There are plenty of good cars from reputable sources available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭suzi-suz

he may be selling the car for a family member maybe he is maybe hes not

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Chances are if it is being sold without a warranty by him then there may be something seriously expensive wrong with it. "Sold as seen" usually means no comeback so buyer beware.

Advertisement