Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know of a number to create a dialup connection from anywhere?

Options
  • 12-10-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Sorry about the title - I meant independant of being registered with any individual ISP.
    I'm trying to test if I can connect my laptop to the net via another phone line. So far, after 3 weeks I've found 2 people within reach who have a dialup connection, but neither of them knew/could find their ISP password.

A way round that seems to be phone numbers for connecting to the internet from anywhere, at local rates, using any old user name & password.
    There are some in the UK (a forum thread at http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=297016&forumid=1 alerted me to their existance). But are there any in this country?
    A Google search for Irish ones found lots of UK/US ones, but the only Irish link was to http://www.internet-ireland.ie/network/dialup.html. I couldn't get it to work (it looks as if it's an extra to corporate IT services).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

1892150150 is eircom net free.

No password or username needed nor do you have to register with anyone it is purely pay as you go.

However but like all dialup it is rather expensive and an absolutly outdated and crap service! Try get an alternative means of Internet connection i.e Broadband, DSL, Cable, Wireless or a "Mobile Broadband" solution for either Three, O2 or Vodafone, (the mobile broadband should be a last resort or else satellite and neither are good).

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thanks mumhaabu - I didn't realise we could do that - I'd forgotten how pay-as-you-go works! I left Eircom pay-as-you-go (and Eircom, period) years ago, so I know all too well how crap a service it is.

Thank you for the broadband suggestions, but dialup's all there is around here.

I only need to connect through someone else's line for a second, to get the connection speed etc recorded in the laptop's modem log (the final bit of ammunition for a formal complaint to Eircom).

Back to square one - I couldn't get that number to work, mumhaabu. I went back to one of those 2 people with dialup and tried it, but couldn't get connected. It's the same number as his Eircom account which is a subscription one, though it's the same as my old pay-as-you-go number. 1893 252525 (which I also had a note of) didn't work either. I tried a ping command, but both eircom.net & utvinternet.com got 'unknown host'.

Same ping results back home, while already connected to the net with this old computer, but then tried google.ie, which worked. But only if I'd already connected to the internet.
    Is that because the computer needs to look up the IP address on the net? Is it possible to ping an IP number before the computer is connected to the internet in any other way (apart from physically to the phone line, of course!)
    If so, how do I find IP numbers to try?
    One successful ping would be all the evidence I need (the modem log includes the connection speed of a ping).

I've drawn a blank trying to find pay-as-you-go dialup numbers (googled for Irish ones, etc). I couldn't find any reference in Eircom's website to pay-as-you-go (and searching it got no result). On the UTV site, there's a number for ROI-wide dialup at local rates, but a new connection created with it didn't work. It's possible it's outdated (a forum posting somewhere suggests the ISPs have all gone subscription-only).

If there are still pay-as-you-go numbers I could try, would it matter if the person I visit has ADSL? Those people are within easier reach for me; my immediate neighbours are in the same (leaking!) boat with me re connection speed, and want to try a line that'll get at least 16kbps. The next nearest clump of people are in a town with broadband.

I have a new desktop and laptop that I can't really use as I can't connect them to the internet. I could earlier this year however, when I did test connections, at 16kbps. That was the last time my line achieved that speed, and the connection speed's the only thing that's changed. I do have evidence in printed-out modem logs (from that brief 16kb test connection, plus of the deteriorating speeds via the old computer). But I just suspect that if I had evidence of connecting the laptop via a better line, Eircom might find it easier to understand. (I don't know where they keep their tech-savvy people, but it's not on the customer front line!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Try elive free they are geographical numbers you can use to dial the net too, and if you have "an all you can eat" i.e. unlimited calls to landlines from the telephone provider the call charge to those dialup numbers should come under it only hang up and redial after 59mins, giving free dialup. More elive numbers can be found here.

If none of them work try 1893150150 which is another Eircom number.

Also try BT IOL 1893247365

If you still have no joy a trick I remember from the 90's and dialup was to dial the number and if you get nothing try dialing it again with the plug removed from the socket then plug back in and try again and it might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Fogmatic wrote: »
    I couldn't get that number to work

Literally, or it would dial but not connect, or dial & handshake and not connect, or some other stage of connection? If literally, then stop right there ;)

The 1891 is for old eircom dialup subscriptions, the 1893 is for the current "flat" rate subscriptions, and 1892 for the pay as you go (no subscription/registration required.. just caller ID to be enabled in some cases).
    Is that because the computer needs to look up the IP address on the net?

Yes, to resolve a domain name to an IP address, you have to be connected to the net. You can work around this by editing your hosts file (Google it), if you want. You can also try to ping the recommended DNS servers (here's the eircom.net dialup numbers and DNS servers)

Is it possible to ping an IP number before the computer is connected to the internet
    Errrm, no! A ping is a test of connectivity between 2 machines. You're trying to test connectivity when there is none (i.e. you're testing a machine on the internet, yet have no connection to the internet), so ping will correctly fail.
    I couldn't find any reference in Eircom's website to pay-as-you-go (and searching it got no result).
    A very quick Google showed the link above, which has all the details you need. The 1892 number has worked for me recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are also 01, 021, 061 etc eircom geographic numbers. They may need a valid eircom user name & password. When I was with talkTalk I could use them free in evening 59min, hang up and redial. That was nearly 4 years ago though... I posted a list of some on Boards about 3 years ago.

Note that if your line is poor you have to put a manual AT string to force the modem to NOT use 56k mode (which NEVER works to another ordinarly Modem, but only to a Digital Exchange). If it still won't connect at 33k mode, you may need to manually limit to 28k.

Note that "win modems" built in are very poor performance and depending on what your PC is doing may not work at all. They implement the Modem in Software using only hardware to interface to phone line from a sound card chip.

The best modems for poor lines or indeed generally are real external serial port modems. Also if there is a storm or power surge they die and leave your PC/Laptop OK.

My own laptop's "win modem" (from 2002) isn't reliable above 28k on same line that my server's external serial port modem (forget model) connected at 42k reliably. In last couple of years I've only used my laptop modem to test faxing on VOIP ports :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

BT internet 1890 924042
    Username: free
    password: free

Above works for me as pay as you go. (they are not free though)

Thanks for the elive link, mumhaabu. I'd guess it's the best bet I've tried so far, as the site makes it clear that calls are simply charged (at local rates) to the telco provider, and provides the user name & password.
    I tried it from home and it's getting 'line busy' so far (whether calling their nationwide number or local), but then so is my normal ISP (UTV) some of the time, so it's probably a bad day (it's that kind of weather, too). It doesn't mean it won't work tomorrow, or through a more decent line.
    Elive's instructions include 'configuring your email account'; do you know if that's necessary to connect via elive (as I won't be doing email)?
    I checked today that all the deeper settings in the new connections were as they should be for my line, but still no joy with Eircom, or BT IOL.
    Your unplugging trick didn't help this time, but I'm keeping it in mind for the future!

Dials but doesn't connect, cgarvey; 'line busy' today, apart from 1 or 2 'computer you are dialling is not answering' messages.
    Oh yes of course - pinging's for testing an existing connection if it can't reach somewhere. Sorry - I was getting befuddled (not taking enough breaks in troubleshooting!)
    Thanks for the Eircom link. It says to use my ISP's outgoing server though (as I don't have an eircom.net connection), and that could be fiddly if whoever I'm visiting doesn't know their settings/doesn't have an ISP/has an ADSL account. But perhaps I've got that wrong?

Thanks for the tips, watty. I am actually using a modem string in the 'extra settings', that UTV's tech help told me about, for my bad line, and it does help at home (I also have a lowered port speed). I'll look into external serial modems; thanks.

Thanks for the BT number clohamon (I haven't had time to try it yet).

A local BB scheme (from a mast) which was on, then off, is on again as of today, installation here booked for next Wednesday (fingers crossed). It doesn't make any difference to my Eircom complaint though (and there doesn't seem any reason to mention the BB scheme!)

Thank you all for your very helpful replies.

No need to worry about email configuration (for any ISP) if all you're doing is testing your connection. Just connect, and go to Google, or whatever. I've never had a busy tone with the eircom number (I remote admin machines at various stages of the day, znd it hasn't let me down), but I'm sure it's possible all their modems on a given bank are in use!? It's also possible that the call/voice service provider is blocking the number, but I'm sure that'd be more permanent.

Thanks for the info about email configuration, cgarvey.
    I'm not sure how I 'just connect', though, as I can't seem to get past the password requests etc that Vista/some server puts up.
    I wouldn't know how permanent a provider's blocking would be; I haven't found anywhere to try a line where the person knows anything about their settings etc (and they're a bit of a drive away).
    I'd assumed I needed somewhere with a dialup connection though; from what you say, I gather a place to test from doesn't have to have any internet connection? Perhaps a house having a broadband connection wouldn't matter either?

I've just posted the complaint to Eircom anyway, but a connect from another line might still be useful in case they need any more convincing.

• Advertisement

By "just connect" I mean establish a working connection to the internet (that is your modem dials out, connects, hand shakes and establishes an IP connection). The easiest way to check that connection is using your web browser (email config is, therefore, not necessary).

DSL lines should still let you connect, but maybe not at as high a speed (because of the DSL filtering) in some cases.

So step 1 is to dial the number from a normal telephone and make sure it connects (you'll hear a fax/modem squealing noise!). Step 2 is to try connecting then and see what speeds are being reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I am actually using a modem string in the 'extra settings', that UTV's tech help told me about, for my bad line, and it does help at home (I also have a lowered port speed).

Could you explain this for a technical numpty, please? I also have a very bad line which disconnects every 5 mins. I think St Patrick installed it! :rolleyes: :D

Thanks!

:)

Thanks cgarvey - I think you've finally cleared the fog for me (sorry it's taken me so long to get the picture!)

I'm no expert, genie; the setting UTV suggested for my case is one bit of the comms jigsaw I've happened on.
    A modem string is an instruction to the modem, specifying how to behave. It's written in the Hayes Command Set, a simple computer-type language for modems. A string is any series of letters/numbers etc used as one piece (eg as commands in computing). There are lots of possible modem strings for different cases (which I haven't learned about!), including strings within strings.

The one UTV suggested for my bad line is a simple one for coping with brief interruptions to the phone line signal. Even if we can't hear any noises when speaking on the phone, modems can still detect tiny interruptions, and assume the line's gone dead if not told otherwise. The string I'm using is S10=x, x being how many tenths of a second you want the modem to wait after a signal interruption, before giving in and hanging up.

How to do it; (this is in 98SE, but it's still pretty much the same in Vista);
    Device Manager, expand the Modem(s) item, right-click the modem in question, select Properties. The Connection tab, then Advanced button, gets a dialogue box with a space for typing in 'Extra Settings'. It might be empty, or there might be something in it, in which case make a note of it (just in case the lack of it makes connection worse and you want to put it back later), then delete it and type in your string. Unless somebody's tried to fix your bad connection at some point, any string that was already there was probably no help in your case.
    UTV suggested trying S10=100 (meaning 'Oi, Modem! If there's a break in the signal, give it 10 seconds to come back before giving up'). At a point when I couldn't connect at all, that string made connection possible, and I think it's still doing that. Experimenting with a lower number might work just as well. It was something like S10=14 at some point, which was too impatient for my bad line. I imagine that if you made it much more than 100, it would be hard to tell if a browsing freeze was down to a particular web page, or the phone line going dead.
    Once the string's typed in, press OK to go back to the previous box, Connection, where it might be worth checking the settings. After experimenting, I ended up with 'Wait for dial tone before connecting' disabled, and 'Cancel call if not connected within x seconds' at 60.

The port speed thing is about setting the best speed for the combination of modem and phone line quality. The theoretical maximum speed for dialup modems is 56kbps, but a higher or lower port speed can help (as opposed to the modem speed, which constantly varies by itself, according to circumstances). There are drop-down lists of port speeds to select from, accessible from several places (like Dialup Networking, Modem in Device Manager, Internet Options, email apps & browsers). I don't know if it's necessary to select the port speed in all those places, or if settings in Dialup Networking override the others (maybe someone could clarify that?)
    Lowering the port speed can make connection with a bad line more reliable (default speeds tend to be high). The easiest way is to start with a highish speed, and experiment with setting it a step slower each time you connect. It's explained at http://www.scn.org/help/modemsp.html
    The Modem Site at www.modemsite.com has lots of help (and saves wading through lots of Google results that turn out to be about broadband!)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Many many thanks for the detailed reply. I'll give it a go! :)

Advertisement