Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I turn down an invite to my manager's wedding?

Options
  • 12-10-2008 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My manager is getting married just before Christmas and he's invited everyone on our team to his wedding.

I really do not want to go but if I dont go I have to go to work and 95% of people in our area are going and it'll look very bad if I'm one of 2 or 3 people who dont go. Especially when other people in work see me in work

He'd also take it very personally... thats the type of person he is

What can I do???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Suck it up and go or otherwise think of a good reason. If it's just before Christmas, then it should be possible to think up some sort of family-related thing you must attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

Go there, be seen, make a big thing about congratulating him then bugger off early. Who's going to notice once the drink starts flowing? If it's a case of having to stay over night then there is always some place you can disappear to, perfect if you've got a partner.
    Is there a specific reason you don't want to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

You already answered your own question.
    Go and dont be seen as a part pooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Is is a case you don't want to waste a day's annual leave?

Then talk to him and suggest that even though you would like to be at his wedding you feel that in the current economic climate the needs of the business should come first (don't want to upset any customers etc!) and that you will try to make it to the "afters"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I'm with Deadeyes on this...

If he'll take it personally, then suck it up... go! I mean what do you have to lose by going?

Is there a particular reason you don't want to go?

• Advertisement
Advertisement