Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They can ask........

• 12-10-2008 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Skimming thru the Sindo saw a "quote" attributed to G Ryan to the extent that in the event of RTE asking him to take a cut in salary due to revenue downturn...his response would be "they can ask......I make millions for them more than they pay me"

What fckin downright arrogance!!!!

Sure he brings in revenue,but who provides the backup, the research, the network, the sales people, the studios???

If that's the attitude, these people have lost the run of themselves, and should be told to take a realistic cut ,or take a hike.

In my opinion it's time to call out some of those high earners in RTE and put the gun to their heads, take a cut or piss off, the license payer cannot fund shortfalls here.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

+1

It's the type of response I'd expect from G Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DMC will be along to point out that 2 FM turns a profit from advertising so Ryans celery can be justified in that respect (if not any other)

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

He surely still doesn't follow that logic!!!

I saw the salaries quoted in the Sindo-madness in my opinion.

Im not saying these people are not good ,and at the top of their profession, but those salaries are way out of kilter with reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Time to wrestle this big hog out of the Montrose trough once and for all,sickening arrogance as per usual from from Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

In my opinion it's time to call out some of those high earners in RTE and put the gun to their heads, take a cut or piss off, the license payer cannot fund shortfalls here.

As pointed out 2FM is funded by advertising and not the licence fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

If RTE cut Ryans salary by say 30% who else could offer him more? His ad revenues benefitted from the booming economy over past 15 years but we are now in recession and revenues will be down. As for 2fm being funded by advertising, they also have the might of rte behind them which makes it easier for them to be successfull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That's what we all say,how can you make cossetted protected people see sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Thanks Mike for waking me from my exile :)

I agree with Flutter; a very, very arrogant statement by not the most pleasant broadcaster we have in this country.

I'm surprised he compared himself to Pat Kenny, considering Ryan has been a failure on TV.

I will add this logic to it. If 2fm is not earning the advertising revenue that it has been before now, and if he is losing listeners, then yes, I would expect him to take a pay cut. From the listenership figures, if they are to be believed, he is holding steady.

I would call his bluff.

See if he'll take a reduced salary, and then ask him if he can cut the same deal with an independent station.

Book sales will cushion the blow. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

well said, and you know, i would bet that the people who will always listen to 2FM / RTE is greater than the number of people who will always listen to Gerry Ryan. He may leave, but will his listeners follow? I'm going to stick my neck out and float the idea of G. Ryan and T. Dunne switching places somewhere along the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

tbh wrote: »
    well said, and you know, i would bet that the people who will always listen to 2FM / RTE is greater than the number of people who will always listen to Gerry Ryan. He may leave, but will his listeners follow? I'm going to stick my neck out and float the idea of G. Ryan and T. Dunne switching places somewhere along the line.

I believe a lot of G Ryans listeners would follow him if he were to jump ship. While I may not agree with the sharpness of his reply he is right and is entitled to refuse to take a pay cut if asked to do so. IMO RTE will have to take a gamble if they decide to persue this matter.

They could very well be willing to take that gamble as I believe they have been considering making changes in that slot and may take this opportunity to do so. I'm not sure they would want to replace like with like and may change format if they are forced to change direction. They shafted Larry, could Gerry be next?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

tbh wrote: »
    I'm going to stick my neck out and float the idea of G. Ryan and T. Dunne switching places somewhere along the line.

Why would you do that, Why?, Why? Here's me living in hope that someone in Newstalk will eventually see sense and you trot out that idea. Why?, Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Given what I've heard of Dunnes prog, 2FM would be ideal - a bit of inane light chat and a bit of mid-atlantic music. And as Motor Mouth has a view on everything then a slot on NT would indeed make good sense but given his wage demands and the nature of transfer market right now (ad revenues going off a cliff) I don't reckon there's much chance it'll happen.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

DMC wrote: »
    ..... From the listenership figures, if they are to be believed, he is holding steady.

I mentioned this before, many years ago I was polled on radio listening habits. I told him what station I listened to, not 2fm, but he had already ticked the Radio2 (as it was then) so i don't believe the numbers.
    Happened twice.

Advertisement