Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Shallow are you?

Options
  • 12-10-2008 5:00pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭

When i was growing up myself and my mates (and im sure we werent the only one) devised a theory that pretty women would generally speaking be shallow as they would require very little effort to motor through life.

However as the passage of time leaves us all withered and wiser, i have learnt that some women not matter how bootiful they may or may not be, will always have a shallow side.

But do the ladies admit it, even when rumbled red handed?

the ladies that im friendly with (me ma :() will always come up with an excuse as to why they only have designer bags on show, or why they dont want to be seen in public chatting the nerdiest bloke in the group while everyone else is in the loo or the jacks.

So what about you lot? How shamelessly shallow do you reckon you are or can be?

I dont think there is anything wrong with shallow girls, i like all kinds of girls! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

faceman wrote: »
    the ladies that im friendly with (me ma :() will always come up with an excuse as to why they only have designer bags on show, or why they dont want to be seen in public chatting the nerdiest bloke in the group while everyone else is in the loo or the jacks.

I like nerdy guys! But I also love designer labels. Nothing wrong with being a bit shallow as long as you don't apply it to all areas of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I'm only shallow when it comes to men! :D Otherwise material things like €800 bags, flash cars, etc don't interest me in the slightest....I have simple means. So do most of my friends, had to listen to two girls across from me today having coffee talk for a good hour on their latest purchases, trying to out do eachother in whoever had the more expensive designer bag. Muppets. Seriously, how pathetic are their lives if that's their main topic of conversation?! Thank God I don't have friends like that, they wouldn't be friends for long if they were. Hate that shi.te! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Pythia wrote: »
    I like nerdy guys! But I also love designer labels. Nothing wrong with being a bit shallow as long as you don't apply it to all areas of life.

Would you be caught dead though wearing a bag from dunnes out though? Would it prompt you to cancel going out?
    Clare Bear wrote: »
    I'm only shallow when it comes to men! :D

I could ask you to elaborate but your explanation could relate to trouser snakes so i wont! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I like nerdy guys.

Now, to throw this thread down the 'men vs women' path that will lead it to being closed.... why do some men treat me so very differently when i have contacts in, hair down and a bit of make up on? I'm still talking about how much i'm looking forward to finding out who the fifth cylon is (battlestar galactica reference), but they're paying so much more attention...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What's shallow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

WindSock wrote: »
    What's shallow?

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

extremely. its my SURNAME!!!!:D

:eek:

Why the :eek:? I just want to know what your definition of it is so I can answer your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I like nerdy guys and my bags are from Dunnes/Penneys/Turkey, 800 euro on a bag? I could go on a holiday with that.

Although, I am shallow. Of course I am, everyone is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thinking that women are shallow based on how much their handbags cost is, well, shallow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

It's confusing..... I like smart men, men who make me think and men i would look up to and admire.... Does that make me shallow?

Hmm and i LOVE my designer handbags, shoes, jackets and clothes... I am bad i know, i don't think it means i am shallow... I am an individual ;)

And my taste in men varies... Some days i like them redhead other days dark(never blondes).... Some days i like men in suits and other days i like men in tracks...

But then i can be shallow when it comes to manners, social etiquette is very important to me.

cuckoo wrote: »
    I like nerdy guys.

Now, to throw this thread down the 'men vs women' path that will lead it to being closed.... why do some men treat me so very differently when i have contacts in, hair down and a bit of make up on? I'm still talking about how much i'm looking forward to finding out who the fifth cylon is (battlestar galactica reference), but they're paying so much more attention...?

Without sounding shallow myself, its probably because you look prettier then! Although cylon talk wouldnt float my boat. Unless cylons wore kinky clothes...
    WindSock wrote: »
    Why the :eek:? I just want to know what your definition of it is so I can answer your question.

hmmm, im being set up here but anyway....
    Shallow - the lack of depth of intellect through actions, views and dialogue. Superficial views/actions/dialogue. Materialistic without logic.

Cuckoo you might believe it, more so if you ever tried to hold a conversation with me....but I'm actually not, not bright. I love fantasy and Sci-fi.
    I can't follow Battlestar Galactica at all.
    I salute your obvious genius.

Faceman I don't know if your definition matchs mine.
    I'm not shallow, because I have practically no pre-concieved notions about anything in life. And I'm openminded.
    I take things as I find them.

I keep my energy consuming deep thoughts unexpressed, or for paper.
    Alot of the time social interaction is for escaping that way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

When it comes to women I'd say I'm more picky than shallow. Takes a bit more than good looks to have me interested, prob why I've been single over a year lol!:D

When it comes to other everyday things I wouldn't class myself as shallow, I see very little benefit in worrying or caring about things that have little impact on my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Would you be caught dead though wearing a bag from dunnes out though? Would it prompt you to cancel going out?

Of course not. That's taking things far too seriously. Anyone who does that is simply a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

faceman

If you see women being shallow, then obviously you are talking to the wrong girls. Most girls I know live normal lives. They don't feel the need to talk down on others and as a result are comfortable with themselves, and that is A-OK in my book. Don't look down on people and they won't look down on you. Being shallow comes from within and how you see the world around you. Just my humble 2c!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm probably a bit shallow. It wouldn't stop me from talking to anyone I wanted to anywhere I wanted to though. I don't know what it has to do with handbags. Surely that's materialism rather than shallow-ness?

I love handbags, although the ones I love most tend to cost about two months rent and I've never bought one. My favourite handbag that I actually own was €5 in Dunnes. I should have bought two but I didn't realise when I bought it how brilliant it was. It's very battered now, but the only reason I don't use it much is because I save it so it'll last longer. Pathetic, I know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

So what about you lot? How shamelessly shallow do you reckon you are or can be?
    Bad B!ue, who lives on a boat flips on depth finder. It boots-up and gives a reading. "About 6 feet. Can you fathom that?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I'm awfully shallow, all my girlfriends have
    1.-Been human
    2.-Had a pulse
    3.-Similar age/maturity
    4.-Reasonable intelligence.
    I'm so picky it's ridiculous!:p

We're all shallow to some extent, I'd never be interested in an animal, a corpse, a child or someone who's genuinely mentally handicapped (what's the point in being with someone if they never have the slightest clue what you're on about).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Moonbaby wrote: »

Faceman I don't know if your definition matchs mine.
    I'm not shallow, because I have practically no pre-concieved notions about anything in life. And I'm openminded.
    I take things as I find them.

I keep my energy consuming deep thoughts unexpressed, or for paper.
    Alot of the time social interaction is for escaping that way of thinking.

Excellent

Always thought shallow as a uninspired discription for humans.

• Advertisement

farohar wrote: »
    (what's the point in being with someone if they never have the slightest clue what you're on about).

I'm going to live and die all alone save for my herd of cats who will inevitably feed off my remains.....aren't I. ~sniff~

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

I'm going to live and die all alone save for my herd of cats who will inevitably feed off my remains.....aren't I. ~sniff~

NAH !! more likely there will be an infestation of insects aswell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

It wouldn't bother me, but perhaps for some people having designer clothes and bags is just something that makes them happy, a luxury or occasional treat. I wouldn't call it shallow, unless they looked down on people who didn't wear designer labels.

Well, everyone's a bit shallow about something or other. C'est la vie.

The simple fact that you've not been banned from everywhere other than CN would indicate you clearly understand what folks are on about a lot of the time, either that or have a remarkable knack of being accidentally on-topic, so as long as you don't let the cats have the final say in the matter you might not live and die alone.:)

The simple fact that you've not been banned from everywhere other than CN would indicate you clearly understand what folks are on about a lot of the time, either that or have a remarkable knack of being accidentally on-topic, so as long as you don't let the cats have the final say in the matter you might not live and die alone.:)

What did I ever do to CN. :(
    You took me up wrong.
    I was banned by the napoleanic despot from his forum because he doesn't get me.
    I cause confusion.

What did I ever do to CN. :(
    You took me up wrong.
    I was banned by the napoleanic despot from his forum because he doesn't get me.
    I cause confusion.

I mean that if you were that bad at understanding the only place on boards.ie that'd have you is the cuckoo's nest.

I mean that if you were that bad at understanding the only place on boards.ie that'd have you is the cuckoo's nest.

ooopps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Only if they're particularly hungry. Best to smear yourself in catnip or fish paste just in case.

stovelid wrote: »
    Only if they're particularly hungry. Best to smear yourself in catnip or fish paste just in case.

I have who can't wait, he already nibbles my toes unless I'm wearing socks.
    I'm afraid he will lead the others on.
    Thanks for the advice though, noted.

• Advertisement

hmmm, im being set up here but anyway....
    Shallow - the lack of depth of intellect through actions, views and dialogue. Superficial views/actions/dialogue. Materialistic without logic.

Then I guess I amn't. I am superficial sometimes though. Or sometimes I come across as superficial when I intend to be well meaning, other times I just express general platitudes because I'm not entirely focussed on what a person is saying to me but that's probably down to me being far from the surface because I am swimming in the depths of my introspectiveness :P

Advertisement