Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flying in Pregnancy

• 12-10-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

I booked a weekend in New York before I found out I was expecting and now I don't know whether to go or not.

I know its apparently safe to fly during pregnancy, but there's so much mixed information that I wouldn't know what to trust!

Have any of you ever flown anywhere during pregnancy?

I'll be about 16 weeks at the time I'm due to go

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Flew to Switzerland and back (2 hours 20 mins flight each way) at 12 weeks pregnant with twins, no problems. At 16 weeks with a singlteton you'll be fine, just make sure you drink a lot of water to ward off de-hydration. If you still suffer from morning sickness, it'll get worse due to the recycled air in the plane and all the airplane food smells though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Yes, agree with above. Drink lots of fluids (maybe ask for seat nearby to toilet in case you get an urgent need as most pregnant ladies do from time to time...:D), and get up to stretch your legs often to keep your blood flowing......

Flew a few times with both my kids at all stages of pregnancy (latest was at 7 months), most airlines don't want you flying from around 7.5 - 8 months along I think, but at 16 weeks you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

The only time there is an issue when flying when pregnant is when youre bout 7 months pregnant when you will need a letter from your GP stating that is safe. Just make sure you keep your circulation moving and drink loadsa water and have fun and dont tire yourself out with trying to do too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

lack of pressure in the plane can cause the baby to pop out when you least expect it. big mess too and then theres the problem of getting him a passport since he might not be born in any country.

they will probably just give him a passport for the country the plane belongs to. this can be a bad thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I was supposed to go to US at the end of the month to visit my husbands relatives. I couldn't face it though, not the flights but the being away from home and having to be social. I get car sick if I'm in the car for more than 20 minutes lately so I wouldn't have been able to go shopping even as they live in the middle of the countryside in North Carolina. Anyway now he's off for 17 days and I will be home alone.

Still wish I was going somewhere for a few days, somewhere sunny would be great cause when the babs gets here I don't think I'll be going anywhere for a while.

Point = It's safe to fly ( check with your doc though) and enjoy your freedom while you still can!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Flew at 13w and was grand.

Just keep hydrated and sit near the loo!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pixiestix

i flew to the south of france at 27 weeks pregnant, was totally fine, just drank lots of water, found the landing a little bumpy so i just put my hands between the seat belt and my tummy and it wasnt so bad then.

Advertisement