Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a book about old Dublin street characters

Options
  • 12-10-2008 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I could get a book about the old Dublin street characters, like Hairy Lemon, Bang Bang, and Johnny Forty Coats? I had a book years ago but lost it. Maybe I should post on the Books forum but thought I'd try here first. Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

This maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Eamonn Mac Thomaish wrote a few. I don't know if they are in print any more though. "Me Jewel and Darling Dublin" and "Coal Blocks and Gur Cake" are the two that spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Thanks. They're the sort of books I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's one for sale at the moments but I can't remember it name! (Something like Beatniks and Skinflints or some sort of terminology like that). It didn't impress me anytime I picked it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Here's dear old Bang Bang himself, with 'gun' in hand.

bang-bang.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Rashers wrote: »
    Here's dear old Bang Bang himself, with 'gun' in hand.

bang-bang.jpg

Oddly enough he's buried in the graveyard in the St. Joseph's school for the blind. (Grace Park Rd.).I had my sneaky school smoke leaning against it for years and now his real name escapes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

humberklog wrote: »
    now his real name escapes me.

Wasn't it Lord Dudley or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bobbya

kazzer wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could get a book about the old Dublin street characters, like Hairy Lemon, Bang Bang, and Johnny Forty Coats? I had a book years ago but lost it. Maybe I should post on the Books forum but thought I'd try here first. Cheers.

Here you go, kazzer... especially for you: newisland.ie/product/dyou-remember-yer-man/

Better late than never, eh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement