Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do all Catholics in the six counties want a united Ireland?

Options
  • 12-10-2008 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Do all Catholics in the six counties want a united Ireland? I fear not! Does anybody have some insight into this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I think you'll find that, like most people on the island, the majority just don't give a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

obl wrote: »
    I think you'll find that, like most people on the island, the majority just don't give a ****.

Not all catholics want a united ireland but the majority do same as not all prodestants want to remain in the union but the majority do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Shame on ANY that doesnt,Catholic,Protestants,baptists,pagans etc etc,we should be ashamed of oursleves that we dont pursue our countries freedom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

this is probably the 100th thread relating to a united ireland to appear in one month and each one seems to degenerate into debates about the IRA etc. i can honestly see it happening with this one as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FFS! Its not about CATHOLICS its about NATIONALISTS!

or in before lock.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I lived in Belfast for a few years and if the Catholics (and Protestants) I knew there are representative of the population, I'd say no. It's foolish to assume that everyone sings of the same sheet because of their religion.
    mike65 wrote: »

It's about human reets!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Catholic/Loyalist was a creationary attempt to divide the people of the North. The war is not about Catholics & Protestants, but rather Nationalists & Loyalists. Some notable Irish nationalists in the past were Protestant.

Some catholics are status quo as are some protestants. Each county has it's own demographics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

dlofnep wrote: »
    Some notable Irish nationalists in the past were Protestant.

Example Wolfe Tone; Robert Emmet. However they are old examples any were possibly a different "stock" of Irish Nationalist to those nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

mike65 wrote: »

or in before lock.

Mike

What are you talking about?!? What's not about catholics? The original question was whether all catholics in the north want a united Ireland and it is a vaild question.

It's just as valid as asking do muslims living the north want a united Ireland...

'Do all nationalists want a united Ireland' is a different question.

As has been stated above, nationalist does not equal catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

obl wrote: »
    Well I'm sure Paisley would agree with you. So what does it feel like to be a Paisleyite ??

What are you talking about?!? What's not about catholics? The original question was whether all catholics in the north want a united Ireland and it is a vaild question.

It's just as valid as asking do muslims living the north want a united Ireland...

'Do all nationalists want a united Ireland' is a different question.

As has been stated above, nationalist does not equal catholic.

" nationalist does not equal catholic " Totally agree there, this thread has only one outcome but to incite secterianism. And BTW - and this will very surprise most of you - I'm not a Catholic, honestly.

turgon wrote: »
    Example Wolfe Tone; Robert Emmet. However they are old examples any were possibly a different "stock" of Irish Nationalist to those nowadays.
    I suppose it's not " today " but two Irish presidents have been Protestants, Douglas Hyde and Erskine Childers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

AFAIK it's illegal to be a nationalist and not Catholic up North, but you're allowed be a catholic and not a nationalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

McArmalite wrote: »
    Well I'm sure Paisley would agree with you. So what does it feel like to be a Paisleyite ??

Ah yes, the classic "if your not with us your against us" argument.

If you, as a country, are not supportive of the war on Terror, your anti-America.
    If your not 100% constantly critical of Hitler, your a Fascist.
    If you dont wholly agree with the Allies in WWII, your a Nazi sympathizer.
    If your not supportive of Israel, your anti-Semite.
    If you mainly see the modern IRA as a negative organization, your a West Brit Unionist.

Keep talking McArmalite, the world is listening to your infinite wisdom.

He didn't say anything about the IRA turgon. You did. He was responding to the statement that the majority of people don't care.

There are many people within society who are comfortable with the status quo. But there are many who are not, and will continue to fight for Irish independence. Many are angered by the passive nature of the status quo on the issue and feel they have turned their back on their fellow countrymen. Hence the feedback. I'm sure you in your infinite wisdom can appreciate this.

I personally don't care. I care about my own objectives and what I have to offer to the Republican cause. I devote my spare time during the week (to which I do not have much of) - And if someone wants to be passive about it, let them - I will just work twice as hard in their absence.

I can see why you have come to the conclusion that you have come to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 madden1

malman wrote: »
    Do all Catholics in the six counties want a united Ireland? I fear not! Does anybody have some insight into this issue
    I would say about 95% of catholic/nationalist who take the time to vote want a united Ireland,
    and as you all know approx 70-80% of people vote at any election in the north

As do 95% of protestants probably still want the british link

the rest are from the don't give a dam school of thought

So if you check your election results over the decades "all will be revealed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

dlofnep wrote: »
    There are many people within society who are comfortable with the status quo. But there are many who are not, and will continue to fight for Irish independence
    So long as its democratically done, they can do what they want. The people of this island already spoke in a referendum about how they feel on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

madden1 wrote: »
    I would say about 95% of catholic/nationalist who take the time to vote want a united Ireland...
    Only about 47% according to this.
    madden1 wrote: »
    As do 95% of protestants probably still want the british link
    As do about 39% of Catholics, apparently.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Only about 47% according to this.
    As do about 39% of Catholics, apparently.

I wouldn't rely very much on the accuracy of that ARK survey. Surveying from one area to the next could be entirely different. For example, surveying catholics in South Belfast would not give the same result as West Belfast.

I read the technical notes on their survey. There was no statistics on the area in which it was surveyed. I highly doubt that if it was processed in Derry it would give the same result.

Secondly, 23% of those selected were 65+ while 8.3% were in the 18-24 category. But yet, when you look at the age brackets - the highest support for Irish Unity in their poll is in that very bracket - 18-24 (ie: those who have been brought up through the good friday agreement). It should also be noted that males were more inclined to opt for Irish Unity, but yet there were 5.6% more females polled.

All these small things add up. I think if you speak to members of the community yourself, you'll get a better picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Patriots do, traitors dont.

• Advertisement

Keep talking McArmalite, the world is listening to your infinite wisdom.

Thank you turgon, I know I had a big fan club out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Patriots do, traitors dont.

And dissent is not possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

There has been examples in the recent past. Ronnie Bunting, is probably one of the most well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

I dont think the vast majority North or south want it. I think it would cause more problems then it would solve... for example would Unionists start bombing Dublin etc demanding autonomy?

It is time to focus on more important issues facing the world - personally the fact that thousands are dying each day from starvation around the world worries me more than having a unified Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

podge79 wrote: »
    I dont think the vast majority North or south want it. I think it would cause more problems then it would solve... for example would Unionists start bombing Dublin etc demanding autonomy?
    Podge
    The Unionists were never capable of bombing Dublin or any where else without being taking by the hand by the SAS and the fuse lit for them,
    If the british government pull the plug the Unionists will conform.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

TOMASJ wrote: »
    podge79 wrote: »
    Podge
    The Unionists were never capable of bombing Dublin or any where else without being taking by the hand by the SAS and the fuse lit for them,

and whats to stop them or anyone else on the loyalist side becoming capable of bombing Dublin or anywhere else? its not as if its that hard to locate people around the globe willing to sell the technology and with the experience to do so

I don't think we could rule out loyalist attacks - Which is why a practical plan would need to be put in place which gives a little leeway.

It's alright though when the attacks are up in the North though, right? That's the mentality of modern day Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

TOMASJ wrote: »
    Podge

And you, of course, can back this up, or are we relying on the old "If we say it enough times it must be true" logic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

And you, of course, can back this up, or are we relying on the old "If we say it enough times it must be true" logic again.
    No Fred
    I can back it up, Im sure heard about a band called the miami who were stopped by a joint SAS UDR UVF group of murderers , who put a large bomb in there van and it went off prematurely killing band members and brits alike,
    the brits then tried to shoot the rest of he band members and failed,
    This is the most infamous incidents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 2-D Man

No all Catholics do not.

Do all Protestants want to retain the union? Of course not.

The overwhelming majority of Catholics want a united Ireland and the overwhelming majority of Protestants want partition. Unfortunatley it is this fact that has led to the warped media reports claiming it was a religious war etc...

My girlfriend is from Derry. Her father is Catholic and her mother Protestant, however both are nationalists

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement