Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do all Catholics in the six counties want a united Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 madden1

murphaph;58472927]
    NI is even luckier-very high proportion of government jobs coupled with a land border with a strong Euro. For the time being, NI is much better off in the UK than out.
    How in under God do you come to the conclusion that people in the North are lucky to have a land border with a strong Euro,
    when every time anyone who lives in the North travels South, The Zambian Dollar--sorry British Pound gets more and more worthless,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

madden1 wrote: »
    How in under God do you come to the conclusion that people in the North are lucky to have a land border with a strong Euro,
    when every time anyone who lives in the North travels South, The Zambian Dollar--sorry British Pound gets more and more worthless,
    .....what in the name of God would a NI resident want to come south to buy that they can't get cheaper in NI itself? NI will do well because all the trade is the other way and retail jobs are secure so long as that is the case! :rolleyes:

murphaph wrote: »
    .....what in the name of God would a NI resident want to come south to buy that they can't get cheaper in NI itself? NI will do well because all the trade is the other way and retail jobs are secure so long as that is the case! :rolleyes:
    Well fuel for cars for a start, which was a lot cheaper,
    "Holidays" getting away from the Orange men who take over the six counties during the summer,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Well fuel for cars for a start, which was a lot cheaper,
    "Holidays" getting away from the Orange men who take over the six counties during the summer,
    Oh god. Do all the catholics evacuate for the summer months? :D

Did people drive from Belfast to the border to get petrol a bit cheaper? :D

murphaph wrote: »
    Oh god. Do all the catholics evacuate for the summer months? :D
    Quite a few, have you never noticed them leave Newcastle when the breathern start marching
    Did people drive from Belfast to the border to get petrol a bit cheaper? :D
    yes and Taigs and Prods and a lot of hauliers taxed there vehicles in the south as well,
    but with the now third world British Pound ;) its not worth while any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

But we're talking about a NI Protestant here. If I was a Unionist I'd be worried that people who used to see themselves as British now acknowledge that they actually are Irish (and turning their back on their Britishness).

They guy I was referring to was from a Protestant family & is Northern Irish. I meant him not me. I'm from a Catholic background

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 tayto2009

bottom line weather people in the north want it or not....the land they live on was stolen from ireland so morally its correct that the country is united all potestants and catholics should just except the fact.. protestants and catholics live amoung each other as irish citizens in the south no reason why the cant in the north...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

In fairness it wasn't only catholics who preferred to be elsewhere. Thats dropped off a good bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

tayto2009 wrote: »
    bottom line weather people in the north want it or not....the land they live on was stolen from ireland so morally its correct that the country is united all potestants and catholics should just except the fact.. protestants and catholics live amoung each other as irish citizens in the south no reason why the cant in the north...

Spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Irlbo wrote: »
    Spot on
    Then I suppose you would support Israeli reclamation of Palestine-Judea as it was stolen from then (and the population was kicked out) by the Romans in 70 AD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

tayto2009 wrote: »
    .. protestants and catholics live amoung each other as irish citizens in the south no reason why the cant in the north...
    Protestants and Catholics live among each other as British citizens in the north so no reason why they can’t in the south.

See what I did there?

djpbarry wrote: »
    Protestants and Catholics live among each other as British citizens in the north so no reason why they can’t in the south.

See what I did there?
    Yes, you oversimplified things.

For a start they'd have to live with us too then (and both communities have various issues with that). Then there's the question of subsidies. Then self-government (alien concept down here). I could go on, but it might spoil the fantasy...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Yes, you oversimplified things.
    Indeed I did, as did the poster to whom I was replying, which is what I was driving at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭dante18

Then self-government (alien concept down here).

What do you mean by that?

Indeed I did, as did the poster to whom I was replying, which is what I was driving at.
    Upps.
    dante18 wrote: »
    What do you mean by that?
    Ireland is a very centralized country by European standards. County councils have a very limited level of independence, but ultimately nothing compared to the autonomous regions of Germany or Italy or devolution in the UK. It's simply something we have no political familiarity with and would be a big mindset change for Lenster house to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Upps.

Ireland is a very centralized country by European standards. County councils have a very limited level of independence, but ultimately nothing compared to the autonomous regions of Germany or Italy or devolution in the UK. It's simply something we have no political familiarity with and would be a big mindset change for Lenster house to deal with.

Irelands tiny mate so there is not much need for regional self-goverence however if a future united ireland was dependant on a federal system where the provinces had a greater say in there own affairs id gladly accept it

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Irelands tiny mate so there is not much need for regional self-goverence however if a future united ireland was dependant on a federal system where the provinces had a greater say in there own affairs id gladly accept it
    Who said anything about you accepting it. I was talking about the existing political establishment that has essentially been around since the Free State.

And please don't call me mate.

Who said anything about you accepting it. I was talking about the existing political establishment that has essentially been around since the Free State.

And please don't call me mate.

OK mate

OK mate
    Oh dear... Well, if it makes you feel better about yourself that you could be my mate, who am I to deny you your simple pleasures.

Oh dear... Well, if it makes you feel better about yourself that you could be my mate, who am I to deny you your simple pleasures.

I was just being nice with you lad and for some reason you took offence to it

Keep your smart ass comments to yourself your not going to embarrass me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

Protestants and Catholics live among each other as British citizens in the north
    Do you not mean British subjects, & Irish citizens, living among other in the North

I was just being nice with you lad and for some reason you took offence to it
    No you weren't. Otherwise you might then consider my referring to you as 'boy' as similar term of 'nice' familiarity.
    Keep your smart ass comments to yourself your not going to embarrass me
    Which is what I have effectively asked you to do already when I asked you not to call me 'mate'.
    TOMASJ wrote: »
    Do you not mean British subjects, & Irish citizens, living among other in the North
    Actually I think the British are officially citizens now, the subject bit got dropped / redefined. Open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Are you talking about the RSF view of things Frank,Eire Nua?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Actually I think the British are officially citizens now, the subject bit got dropped / redefined. Open to correction.

My passport was issued in 2000 and according to that I am a British Citizen.

The regional assembley stuff is a good idea, but what is the point of a local government who are incapable of actually doing anything other than arguing over wether it should be called "The North" or "Northern Ireland". i think there is a long way to go before stormont gets to actually govern itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ShotgunPaddy

We need to get away from a simplistic breakdown of the NI population into Protestants and Catholics. What about non Christians? There multiple ethenic groups in NI of which the two largest are "White Irish" and "White British". The "White Irish" want reunification, the "White British" don't. You only have to look at the newspapers which are split along ethnic lines. It's a similar situation to Belgium where most of the Walloons want reunification with France but the Flemish don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

We need to get away from a simplistic breakdown of the NI population into Protestants and Catholics. What about non Christians?

Doesn't everyone 'unite' up there to hate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

We need to get away from a simplistic breakdown of the NI population into Protestants and Catholics. What about non Christians? There multiple ethenic groups in NI of which the two largest are "White Irish" and "White British". The "White Irish" want reunification, the "White British" don't. You only have to look at the newspapers which are split along ethnic lines. It's a similar situation to Belgium where most of the Walloons want reunification with France but the Flemish don't.
    i am english-- a scotsman is scottish-a welshman is welsh -a northern irishman is irish --and we are all british-most people in the north of ireland do not want to join the republic.it could be because they would be worse off -no national health service ect -or it just may be that it is the republican hate over the years--remember most northern irish people can take out a irish republic passport if they want -and it seems they dont want too-- the problems in belgium is a language differerence

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

getz wrote: »
    remember most northern irish people can take out a irish republic passport if they want -and it seems they dont want too-- the problems in belgium is a language differerence
    Have a look here,http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7484182.stm contradicts what you have posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ShotgunPaddy

i am english-- a scotsman is scottish-a welshman is welsh -a northern irishman is irish --and we are all british

Sorry Getz but the last part of that statement is not true. There is a substantial minority of people on NI that do not consider themselves British.

Frankly, I am amazed that we still get posts like this. Thirty eight years of massive media coverage of NI and still some people have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

it just may be that it is the republican hate over the years

What exactly does "republican hate" mean?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement