Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do all Catholics in the six counties want a united Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

well thanks for patronising 1/4 Irish voters
    No problem.
    You know 22% consider it the number one priority. Whether its a priority or not is entirely irrelevant.
    Oh I think you’ll find that it’s highly relevant. Ask an Irish person whether they’d support unification and they’ll probably say yes. Ask an Irish person whether they’d support unification if it resulted in a cost of €x per head of population and I think the answer becomes far less certain, especially as x increases.
    While I am far from a Shinner, you are coming across like a spoilt brat here. 2 policies only?
    Pretty much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

They are called the Hawaiian Islands because they form the US state of Hawaii..Mate this is not Britain and I dont live in Britain.:confused: so calling it the "British Isles" is incorrect and perhaps it is your geography that needs updating..:rolleyes:

You live on one of the British Isles. Get over it ffs. Its just a bloody name. A geographical reference to these islands and the Rep.Ireland is one of them. Its not a territorial claim :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

You live on one of the British Isles. Get over it ffs. Its just a bloody name. A geographical reference to these islands and the Rep.Ireland is one of them. Its not a territorial claim :rolleyes:

While use this reference does not keep me up at night, it is an innacurate geographical reference with pejoritive imperial undertones.

IONA is a far better description without any of the baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Seanies32 wrote: »
    From Wiki:

facts and figures

Thanks, still 24% > nobody (truely nobody wants direct rule moreso)
    Camelot wrote:
    Re-joining the Union is a pipe dream, nobody wants it (nearly nobody).

Plus another thing I remember noticing when I was watching Des Bishops series where he was kind of making comedians It appeared that the Unionists were more up for the divide and slagging the Irish, while one of the Nationalists walked off the show because he felt that they were being encouraged to be bigoted.

While use this reference does not keep me up at night, it is an innacurate geographical reference with pejoritive imperial undertones.

IONA is a far better description without any of the baggage.

There is no "baggage" nor it is inaccurate. It is a geographical reference to this group of islands. "Perjorative imperial undertones" indeed LOL!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Cliste wrote: »

Plus another thing I remember noticing when I was watching Des Bishops series where he was kind of making comedians It appeared that the Unionists were more up for the divide and slagging the Irish, while one of the Nationalists walked off the show because he felt that they were being encouraged to be bigoted.

During the 'troubles' both sides are guilty of the deaths on innocent civilains but I cant recall a time when republicans went out to purposely murder innocent vunrable defenseless protestants,but loyalists seemed to make this thier main 'actions' of war

Irlbo wrote: »
    During the 'troubles' both sides are guilty of the deaths on innocent civilains but I cant recall a time when republicans went out to purposely murder innocent vunrable defenseless protestants,but loyalists seemed to make this thier main 'actions' of war

Are you serious???

Christ, ya don't say that to them :pac:

There is no "baggage" nor it is inaccurate. It is a geographical reference to this group of islands. "Perjorative imperial undertones" indeed LOL!

There is baggage, maybe not to you, but there is. Ireland became an independent nation and the old imperial name for the islands remained.

It is innacurate in the sense that no other island group is named after one island in the group only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

It is innacurate in the sense that no other island group is named after one island in the group only.

There are clues to the origin of the 'Term' in Posts 676 & 689 (last paragraph).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Interestingly going on that poll, a majority of Catholics do not want an United Ireland.

PS. Minor point, 24% refer to themselves as Nationalist, 23% want an United Ireland.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Interestingly going on that poll, a majority of Catholics do not want an United Ireland.

If you look at the breakdown of Catholics:
    4% - direct rule
    35% - 'Home rule'
    47% - United Ireland
    6% Independant State :confused:
    1% Some other answer
    7% Just aren't sure
    PS. Minor point, 24% refer to themselves as Nationalist, 23% want an United Ireland.

Edit: Well that's what it says, but I was unconciously accounting for the fact that more protestants did the survey then there is in the population up there ;)

If you look at the breakdown of Catholics:
    4% - direct rule
    35% - 'Home rule'
    47% - United Ireland
    6% Independant State :confused:
    1% Some other answer
    7% Just aren't sure

Edit: Well that's what it says, but I was unconciously accounting for the fact that more protestants did the survey then there is in the population up there ;)

Well it is Wiki!

Still a majority of Catholics 53% did not state they wanted a United Ireland.

Anyway, minor points aside, the main point is, the presumption that a large majority of Catholics want an United Ireland is wrong.

The links are at the bottom.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Well it is Wiki!

Anyway, minor points aside, the main point is, the presumption that a large majority of Catholics want an United Ireland is wrong.

I'd like to know what kind of answers the "1% Some Other Answer" total gave :D

Well it is Wiki!

53% say they don't want anything to do with the UK (and I don't need the 8% that are unsure/no answer)

However it is looking like that alright. I could begin arguing about the question wording (which is more about the welfare of the state), but yes I agree the study does say that a 35% see the UK as the best option. (A lot more then I would have said)

They are, check out the survey, around 2% less catholic did the survey. at 50% that would leave us with 24% (under technical notes after you check out the links)

53% say they don't want anything to do with the UK (and I don't need the 8% that are unsure/no answer)

However it is looking like that alright. I could begin arguing about the question wording (which is more about the welfare of the state), but yes I agree the study does say that a 35% see the UK as the best option. (A lot more then I would have said)

They are, check out the survey, around 2% less catholic did the survey. at 50% that would leave us with 24% (under technical notes after you check out the links)

Agreed. I always knew it was about 30/40% of Catholics who were quiet happy with the way things are, so I was a little surprised.

NI is highly dependent on Public Service jobs and has a whole Community sector funded by Govt. Realistically people know that would have to be cut substantially affecting jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So, the difinitive answer to the Opening Question "Do all Catholics in the six counties want a united Ireland"? is a resounding 'NO', with far more Catholics than I even anticipated wanting NI to remain within the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Check your geography. Lokk at Hawaii for example. One island is called Hawaii. The group of islands is called the Hawaiian islands. No, not the mid pacific islands ffs.
    Nobody ever heard of the IONA isles ( wonder if it includes Iceland, or Azores or Newfoundland ), or the IOSA isles. British isles is the correct geographical term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Le Mon restaurant bombing for example....plus there were many other sectarian atrocities committed by the PIRA etc. Some loyalist murders were of innocent civilians, some were of known PIRA activists etc. I do not defend the extremists on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

NI is highly dependent on Public Service jobs and has a whole Community sector funded by Govt. Realistically people know that would have to be cut substantially affecting jobs.

And with all the talk here about cutting the Public Service, why would they want to join.

I don't think a United Ireland would benefit anyone, just look at the trouble Germany is having still with unification.

I would be quite happy now that the borders are gone if the UK & NI joined the Euro, then there will be no real difference on either side of the border.

• Advertisement

jimmmy wrote: »
    Le Mon restaurant bombing for example....plus there were many other sectarian atrocities committed by the PIRA etc. Some loyalist murders were of innocent civilians, some were of known PIRA activists etc. I do not defend the extremists on either side.

There was a warning issued when that bomb was planted,and there is normally a warning issued when any bomb is planted,there was obviously some problem or confusion with the message being passed on to the emergency services,an unfortunatley innocent people died,but the point I was making was the IRA never went out in cars armed with high powered sub machine guns looking for 17 year olds wearing rangers jerseys to riddle,but such was the case with Danny McColgan,a teenage postman riddled by a loyalist death squad for wearing a Celtic jersey

There was a warning issued when that bomb was planted,and there is normally a warning issued when any bomb is planted,there was obviously some problem or confusion with the message being passed on to the emergency services,an unfortunatley innocent people died,but the point I was making was the IRA never went out in cars armed with high powered sub machine guns looking for 17 year olds wearing rangers jerseys to riddle,but such was the case with Danny McColgan,a teenage postman riddled by a loyalist death squad for wearing a Celtic jersey

Facepalm moment!

The day after the explosion, the IRA admitted that the blast was its responsibility, and apologised for the inadequate warning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Mon_restaurant_bombing

It was all British Telecoms fault apparently!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Topic, people. Topic.

Apologies, edited after your post there.

jaqian wrote: »
    And with all the talk here about cutting the Public Service, why would they want to join.

I don't think a United Ireland would benefit anyone, just look at the trouble Germany is having still with unification.

I would be quite happy now that the borders are gone if the UK & NI joined the Euro, then there will be no real difference on either side of the border.

So in other worlds your content with your country being occupied by a foreign alien government with its legacy of forced plantation,internment and murder?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

So in other worlds your content with your country being occupied by a foreign alien government with its legacy of forced plantation,internment and murder?
    Luckily, my country isn't occupied by anyone.

It's a power sharing Govt. now, agreed by all the main political parties.

Yes. If the people of NI are happy with their government then I'm happy for them. If they wanted to they could vote to change, Britain would be quite happy to be rid of NI as it is a HUGE drain on their finances.

Irlbo you need to grow up and put away your provo toys and sympathies, democracy rules now not the armalite.

That makes it alright then does it? The provos are as much scum as their unionist opposites are.

• Advertisement

jaqian wrote: »
    That makes it alright then does it? The provos are as much scum as their unionist opposites are.

I think the point he is getting at is that while Republicans killed civilians, there was never an orchastrated campaign to do so. Loyalitsts lacked the military capability or political programme to fight a war with the IRA so for a large part of their campaign they restricted themselves to picking off easy targets of anyone they suspected of being a catholic, often torturing them brutally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement