Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stopped for not indicating?

Options
  • 12-10-2008 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Watch so American tv programs I see people getting pulled over by the police for not indicating.
    I have never heard of this happening in Ireland.
    Is it illegal to not indicate properly here and can the cops pull people for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

It may fall under "driving without due care and attention"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Of courses its illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

Mellor wrote: »
    Of courses its illegal

+1

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

tuxy wrote: »
    Watch so American tv programs I see people getting pulled over by the police for not indicating.
    I have never heard of this happening in Ireland.
    Is it illegal to not indicate properly here and can the cops pull people for it?

Please tell me you don't drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

MarkR wrote: »

So you can name a case were someone was prosecuted for not indicating?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just because a law isn't enforced doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

2qk4u wrote: »
    It may fall under "driving without due care and attention"
    No, its important enough to be mentioned explicitly:
    18. (1) A driver intending to slow down, stop, or alter course, shall either give a signal by using a direction indicator or stop lamp, as appropriate, or give the appropriate hand signal set out in Table A in the Second Schedule......(3) A driver shall give a signal in sufficient time before altering course and in such a manner as to be clearly visible and clearly understood by those for whom such signal is intended.
    But a great number of vehicle drivers don't know it's obligatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

amacachi wrote: »

I know but I'm wondering why it is not enforced.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So you can name a case were someone was prosecuted for not indicating?

Nope. But that's because I'm not the encyclopedia of cases involving traffic law, not because there's never been a prosecution. Could fall under the category of careless driving, Contravention of requirements regarding driving of vehicles at road junctions. Either way I think that it should be enforced more, along with lane usage, particular on roundabouts.

Remember kids, indicators aren't just for other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Indeed. Kinda sums up our motoring law in general - aspirational rather than really committed - or, "a bit Irish".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

MarkR wrote: »

and if he does drive, please tell me he doesnt have a full liecence?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

a pity in this case as i have seen so many times lately where people couldnt be bothered to indicate when i was waiting at a junction etc :rolleyes:.

then again, just because they indicate that they are going to turn down a road you are coming out of at a T-junction doesnt necessarily mean they even know the indicators are even on here anyway as i nearly found out the hard way some time back :rolleyes: :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Its not actually illegal, you're under no legal obligation to use inticators however, you could be done for driving without due care or something else along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

It's not Illegal

In the hibernian run advanced driving (run by the iam http://www.iam.org.uk/)they pointed out that you should indicate to a person that you are going to maneuver and not a a matter of mechanics.

Meaning if nobody is around to indicate to then it's hardly necessary.

-My question was what all you are thinking - how do you know if nobosy is around to see you....The answer. Observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Surely if it was illegal BMW would've fitted them to their models?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If the Garada stopped you/everyone for this offense:
    1) 1000s of hysterical men would ring Joe Duffy about why the Garda are not catching "real criminals".
    2) it's too many people doing it so it'd take too much time and effort. Better to wait until you cause a collision and nab you then.
    ShayK1 wrote: »
    Its not actually illegal, you're under no legal obligation to use inticators however, you could be done for driving without due care or something else along those lines.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html
    23.—(1) Whenever a driver intends to slow down, stop or alter course, he shall either give a hand signal in accordance with the following Table or give a signal by using a direction indicator

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Surely if it was illegal BMW would've fitted them to their models?;)

Can't believe that's the first time someone's said that on these types of threads... Oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

It is not enforced regularly because people for the most part change their driving behaviour when they see a patrol car. When they don't see a patrol car they revert to their lazy ways again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

eoin_s wrote: »
    Can't believe that's the first time someone's said that on these types of threads... Oh wait.

Only cos it's true unfortunately. I'd say a lot of the genuinely good driving BMW owners must be annoyed at the label, but the number out there that break all the rules seems to outnumber them (or at least do stupid things at prominent points on the road). I have a 15 minute drive to work, and every second day there's a BMW undertaking riskily, using the bus lane all the way (usually trying to hide behind a bus), and just not indicating everywhere.

I'd always indicate, even for small maneuvers (esp. at roundabouts), you never know who might be watching for what you're doing, and it's good practice. You'll never get yourself and others in trouble by indicating even if no ones there.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

When I read the title I was hoping someone had been stopped for not indicating!
    My hopes were soon dashed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ShayK1 wrote: »
    egan007 wrote: »
    It's not Illegal

In the hibernian run advanced driving (run by the iam http://www.iam.org.uk/)they pointed out that you should indicate to a person that you are going to maneuver and not a a matter of mechanics.

Double fail
    (please read thread before posting ridic comments)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

People get seriously injured in accidents or die because indicators are not used.

I cant understand why people dont use them, its so selfish.

It should be classed as dangerous driving IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

I`m guessing they dont pursue it because its a pretty small offence and is probably only worthy of an earful at best. If something more serious results out of it (i.e somebody slams into you) it probably becomes reckless driving or some catch all. Another reason is that gardai are more interested in speeding or drink driving, which makes sense (Not indicating the silent killer !)

That being said though, its a right pain in balls sitting at a roundabout waiting for one muppet after another to indicate so you know if they are taking your exit or are going to drive right infront of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Its worse for a biker where someone in a car doesnt indicate and moves into your lane causing you to veer off into the centre divide (made from wire with no design care for motor cyclists) on a motor way which tears off your limbs as you slide along.

People who don’t indicate should be made travel on a motor bike for a week and see how it feels to share the road with selfish fools

"Sorry mate I didnt see you" is no excuse. http://smidsy.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

worded wrote: »
    Its worse for a biker where someone in a car doesnt indicate and moves into your lane causing you to veer off into the centre divide (made from wire with no design care for motor cyclists) on a motor way which tears off your limbs as you slide along.

People who don’t indicate should be made travel on a motor bike for a week and see how it feels to share the road with selfish fools

"Sorry mate I didnt see you" is no excuse. http://smidsy.com/

Thats why I dont do motor bikes, I`m not immune to idiots in a car, but at least I know Im far less likely to get shredded. That being said I always keep an eye for bikers for that exact reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

so if you don't use your indicators and are involved in a accident as a result, will the message get across to ya?
    they are there for a reason. use them so other people are informed of your actions.

did you miss this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

agghh - swear to god, i would give away one of my nuts to see some middle aged motorist, with their head planted up their smug hole, getting nailed for no indicators.
    "Exxcuse me, Guard, how DARE you assume i cant drive correctly. Of course i used my indicator. Im writing a letter tonight, after the local residents committee meeting, to my local newspaper and Joe Duffy"

Would you trust a heart surgeon who, after qualifying as a doctor 20 years ago, never ever took any classes or courses to keep his skills up to date?:mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Dabko wrote: »
    Would you trust a heart surgeon who, after qualifying as a doctor 20 years ago, never ever took any classes or courses to keep his skills up to date?:mad::mad::mad:
    Do you take refresher courses in driving then? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Touché!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

kbannon wrote: »
    Do you take refresher courses in driving then? :rolleyes:

Thank you both for your concern.
    However, I passed my driving test 2 years ago, and have only being driving for 4 years. I have learned to drive in vans and cars of varying sizes. I drive on a regular basis all over cork, Dublin, galway and up north. My point being that i have more experience driving on Irish roads than most people in Ireland over the age of 40. Things change, so must people.
    Sorry if it pis5es all you folks that fall into this bracket, but there are a serious amount of stupid, fast asleep, careless drivers out there and im my experience alot need to wake up or risk slaughtering themselves or others around them.

Also, im 29 not a boy racer y anything like that.

Advertisement