Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artist recommendations?

Options
  • 12-10-2008 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Hey, I just wanted to know who people thought were the best tattoo artists to get script work done around Dublin?
    Any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

any artist in any shop.Script to any decent tattooist is stickmen drawing to us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Go to somewhere like www.dafont.com , pick a nice one , print your phrase / word , bring it to any clean tattoo studio , as was already pointed out, script is on the lower end of the complexity scale in the tattoo world. Snakebite are clean, try them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Diceicle wrote: »
    script is on the lower end of the complexity scale in the tattoo world.

The above statement is just wrong, very few people do script well it's either perfect or horrible. Robb in Colourworks does nice script I'd go to him, if you want something extra special and want to travel etc check out xManekox and Eli Quinters.

The above statement is just wrong, very few people do script well it's either perfect or horrible. Robb in Colourworks does nice script I'd go to him, if you want something extra special and want to travel etc check out xManekox and Eli Quinters.

So script is on the upper end of the complexity scale? :confused:
    More complex than old school? Portraits? tribal? Nu-skool? Pin-ups? Not in my opinion it isnt. Like I said, its on the LOWER end, not easy, lower. The majority of script is pretty basic unless your looking for a particular style of font, so yeah its on the lower end of the complexity scale as the majority of print out there is the old bookman gothic or a cursive style.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Script takes good attention to detail, nice smooth, even straight lines, and flowing, perfectly rounded curves, and you can't get away with little things that you could in a piece where there is more going on, so the level of complexity would be the same as for a tribal piece or most other pieces.

• Advertisement

Script takes good attention to detail, nice smooth, even straight lines, and flowing, perfectly rounded curves, and you can't get away with little things that you could in a piece where there is more going on, so the level of complexity would be the same as for a tribal piece or most other pieces.

You're pretty on the money there. In my experience script is definately above the average tribal piece in terms of difficulty. I'm not saying that script tattoos could be done perfectly by a monkey on a trampoline, I'm saying they're easier than the majority of other tattooing styles. Attention to detail and a steady hand are the main qualities needed for decent script, you need more skills than that to pull off bio-mech ,darkwave, portraits etc.

Ah yeah, and should really go without saying that those are qualities that all tattoo artists should possess anyway, but as we all know there not always there, and even the decent ones can have off days.

Think we derailled the topic a bit though, so I'll leave it at that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

So script is on the upper end of the complexity scale? :confused:
    More complex than old school? Portraits? tribal? Nu-skool? Pin-ups? Not in my opinion it isnt. Like I said, its on the LOWER end, not easy, lower. The majority of script is pretty basic unless your looking for a particular style of font, so yeah its on the lower end of the complexity scale as the majority of print out there is the old bookman gothic or a cursive style.

I have to disagree completely. decent lettering is a subtle art, especially if you are doing something custom, it takes years to learn it with any creativity involved.

I understand where you are coming from, but I would suggest that it isn't that lettering is easy - its just that its SO complex that most people wouldn't see the difference between well-done and bodge.

speaking as a tattooist and graffiti writer

hot2def wrote: »
    I have to disagree completely. decent lettering is a subtle art, especially if you are doing something custom, it takes years to learn it with any creativity involved.

I understand where you are coming from, but I would suggest that it isn't that lettering is easy - its just that its SO complex that most people wouldn't see the difference between well-done and bodge.

speaking as a tattooist and graffiti writer

Shockingly I dont agree with you ;)
    My point is this, the average script tattoo consists usually of a cursive style font or a old bookman gothic style font. To do this tattoo you do not need the level of skills associated with having to do a Bio-mech piece / pin-up / Horror / Nature etc as there are more elements, shadings to factor in to the tattoo.
    However if you then consider what CAN be done within the realms of script tattooing thats another thing entirely. For instance I was wastching season 1 of London Ink last night and Dan Gold pumped out a graffiti style '13' tattoo that was sick. It had nice lines and flow and a killer concrete look to it. For me, that tattoo is outside the category of script tattooing and closer to nu-skool if anything.
    This has kinda drifted off topic so thats all from me I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

Ah - my point exactly. I have no problem with dan gold - hes a good tattoo artist, but his graffiti letters *suck*. No form, no flow, poor imitations of classic New York style. I'd say most people wouldn't notice, but graffiti writers would.

Lettering is one of the most integral aspects of tattooing, I would say the most important - by far and away the most requested. I think, therefore, that it would befit tattoo artists to spend as much time drawing, practicing and developing their lettering as they do whatever else. But i have encountered a shocking number of tattooists who regard lettering as a pain in their ass, and beneath them.

On an entirely seperate note, lettering is frequently the most difficult thing you will do in a day. with big color, black and grey, and tribal, there is huge scope for consealing a mistake, plus you get hours to tweak it and perhaps even multiple sessions.

A big old school full color skull fundamentally looks good, its much tougher to make a tiny little name on a wrist look good, especially as the customer is invariably asking you to do it as small as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Go to somewhere like www.dafont.com , pick a nice one , print your phrase / word , bring it to any clean tattoo studio , as was already pointed out, script is on the lower end of the complexity scale in the tattoo world. Snakebite are clean, try them.
    I would not recommend snakebite. Well, pawel anyway.

I WOULD recommend Snakebite, my tattoos were done by Mariusz, and he did a great job. Did great job on letting for my mate, and touching up lettering he'd already got done by another artist that'd faded badly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭tayto909

yes, any tattooist can do [attempt] script, but not many can perfect it. there's flow, style etc.. to be considered. there's plenty of tattooists around that could **** up some simple script so much you wouldn't believe...i even had the pleasure today of seeing some 20euro crap that was neededing urgent cover-up..lines blown, angles of letters inconsistent, choppy shading, inconsistent spacing - totally jacked. don't get script from just any tattooist. research, research..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭tayto909

in addition, whoever wrote that 1st reply needs their head checked!!

In fairness to Raze, he did say and decent tattooist...

Advertisement