Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E51 firmware upgrade?

• 12-10-2008 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

I got my E51 couple of months back from o2.

Today I was trying to updgrade the firmware.

My firmware version is:

I am using the nokia software to upgrade the firmware. Now the probelm is that is just saying that you have the latest firmware even though on the net I can see the latest is something like 200.34.36

So why its saying I have the latest firmware and not giving me any update option? How can I upgrade the firmware?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ sorry I meant to post it in this section. :)

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Maybe it's to do with the firmware on your o2 E51 not having the full proper Nokia firmware, but the bastardised o2 version, which doens't have a newer version?

BTW, I'm in the same boat.

Liked the term
    bastardised o2 version
    :D

Just wondering if there's any way around this problem. If it's possible I would like to give it a try.

The only reason doing this is to get the fix for txt messages time. I read somewhere that at present in the txt details it shows what time the message was received and NOT what time it was sent. So if I have switched off my phone and switch it back again and a msg gets delivered theres no way of knowing the send time.

I think this problem is fixed in the latest firmware and thats why I am looking to try the new firmware.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What you need to do is change your product code using nemesis service suite to the generic EURO1 code which will enable you to upgrade.

• Advertisement

Looked at the net and found the software. Is there anything that I need to be really cautious of before I do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Looked at the net and found the software. Is there anything that I need to be really cautious of before I do this?
    Just back-up what you want to keep from the phone. Then change the product code to 0546184, then do the update.

^^ Thanks a lot. I will give it a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

You can debrand your phone's FW and get the last update with BB5 phones (I did it with my E65 and I put the Music Edition FW on my N70)

Here's a similar guide on doing it with a N95.

http://clear-nokia.blogspot.com/2007/05/nokia-n95-debranding-guide.html

You will need this Software called Nemesis Software Suite.

http://www.b-phreaks.co.uk/files/NSS/NSS103810.zip

You can manually change your Nokia's product code, generic EURO in this case.

Here's the whole list (I recommend "PC: 0546184: RM-244 CTR EURO1 BLACK")

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70003 (instructions in the post for an E51 also.)

^^ thanks a lot, thats pretty comprehensive. :D

Although I have the silver E51 (not the black one), what will be the product code for that? Will it make any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

coldfire1x wrote: »
    ^^ thanks a lot, thats pretty comprehensive. :D

Although I have the silver E51 (not the black one), what will be the product code for that? Will it make any difference?
    Makes no difference.

Only difference is what languages you want installed. Both EURO1 and EURO2 have English installed.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Makes no difference.

Only difference is what languages you want installed. Both EURO1 and EURO2 have English installed.
    Exactly. The colour in the referrence just has to be made different for each phone model / colour even it they're the exact same.

The odd time, specific colours have themes assigned to them which can be quite handy because Nokia make some really good looking ones.

Keep us updated on how you get on!

byte

Hmm, might make a stab at this myself! Is much missing from the o2 firmware that is on the original?

byte wrote: »
    Hmm, might make a stab at this myself! Is much missing from the o2 firmware that is on the original?
    No stupid start up bubble yoke.

Well on my old N70 locked to 3, after changing the F/W to the Music Edition or the original EURO edition, I could select GSM as well as UMTS - not just UMTS on it's own (necessary as I had already unlocked it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

If you were to upgrade the firmware would you have to re-install all contacts and programs again?

cianr wrote: »
    If you were to upgrade the firmware would you have to re-install all contacts and programs again?
    Yes, but the clever thing is you must use Nokia's (well designed) Firmware Updater which has a built in Backup and Restore feature.

PS: Don't bother to attempt put, say... E65 FW on an E61 - it won't work unfortunately - I have tried and tried and tried :rolleyes:

So it will restore your contacts (not programs though,right?) on the new firmware?

Also can anyone who has done this with an O2 Nokia E51 tell me if its worth it? I reckon can handle the bubbles for a while . . . :D

It's the exact same process with every Nokia phone, I've done it with an N70, N71, N95, E65, E61, 6680, 6233. It only affects the contents of the phone memory so if you wish, use the backup feature in the Memory Card settings. Programs installed to the phone will be lost AFAIK but not if they are on the MMC but as I said, the backup feature on the phone alone will cover that.

From Nokia.com - http://europe.nokia.com/A4577229#faq6
    [B][U]6. Will I lose my user data if I update my Nokia device firmware via PC?[/U][/B]

User data (contacts, photos, messages and files) and add-on applications such as Java games or Symbian applications will be deleted during the software update. It is strongly recommended that you make a back-up of data such as contacts, messages, and images before updating the mobile device firmware.

When performing the update, and your Nokia device requires a data backup, the application will instruct you how to perform the back-up.

Note: Nokia device firmware cannot be downgraded. Once you have upgraded your device, you will not be able to restore to the earlier version. Nokia cannot guarantee compatibility with third-party add-on applications that are not supported by Nokia.

[B][U]7. Do I really have to make a back-up of all my data?[/U][/B]

User data (contacts, photos, messages and files) and add-on applications such as Java games or Symbian applications will be deleted during the software update. When performing the update, the application will inform you if your Nokia device requires a data backup.

You can back-up your device memory data to your device memory card or to your PC using Nokia PC Suite. See your device user guide for more detailed instructions.

To backup to your memory card:

1. Select Tools > Memory from the main menu
       2. Select Options > Backup phone mem.

To restore data to phone memory:

1. Select Tools > Memory from the main menu
       2. Select Options > Restore from card

This looks like the changelog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Just did this on an o2 branded E51 with no problems.

Just ensure you've a fullish battery, and it should take about twenty minutes.

Edit: Some of my apps weren't backed-up, but some were? Also lost my o2 settings (wap/internet/mms etc), but that's all easily fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

debranding your phone voids your warranty. Just change product code back after doing it. Symbian-freak.com is the best site for information. Think ya can hack your phone also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

seanybiker wrote: »
    debranding your phone voids your warranty. Just change product code back after doing it. Symbian-freak.com is the best site for information. Think ya can hack your phone also.

You can indeed. More info on ipmart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

seanybiker wrote: »
    debranding your phone voids your warranty.

Never found this to be the case.

byte

juvenal wrote: »
    Just did this on an o2 branded E51 with no problems.

Just ensure you've a fullish battery, and it should take about twenty minutes.

Edit: Some of my apps weren't backed-up, but some were? Also lost my o2 settings (wap/internet/mms etc), but that's all easily fixed.
    Is there much change to the phone afterwards, apart from the likes of the o2 bubbly Themes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Is there much change to the phone afterwards, apart from the likes of the o2 bubbly Themes?

The response time and app switching seems faster to me. The load up time from power off is also quicker, but that's probably due to the fact that it doesn't have to load the bubbles and o2 logo.

I backed up all my stuff, although I had to reload Gmail/Google Maps/Google Search/Calcium. Other apps were put back on when I restored the phone data via Nokia PC Suite. As were contacts, messages, media files etc. Although strangely, calendar data wasn't restored, although I may have to have Outlook running for that.

I'll post more if I come across anything else.

Advertisement