Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult work situation

Options
  • 12-10-2008 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

In the present climate I should count myself very lucky to have a good job that pays well but it was really the money that clouded my judgement. The stress in the last few weeks is taking its toll. I am working long hours for very little recognition and I am not sleeping too well and when I go home work is always on my mind... I have had a chat with my boss and he is very understanding but I dont know that he understands fully how I feel... The problem is that I am not in the job very long but I really get the vibe that the job is not for me. How long do you think it takes to settle into a job or do you know from early on if it meant to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It can easily take 6 months or more before you find your feet in a new job. The first few months can often be overwhelming and exhausting because of all the information you have to take in.

Do you feel you are taking longer than expected to carry out your duties? Is that because you haven't got a system in place, or because there is still a lot to learn - or something else again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I really get the vibe that the job is not for me.

If this is your gut feeling, I'd go with it. No job is worth your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Darragh29 wrote: »
    If this is your gut feeling, I'd go with it. No job is worth your health.

It depends a lot on how long the OP is in the job for. As I said, it's really not that unusual to be overwhelmed at first, and even doubt yourself a little.

In fact, if you are cruising through your day after a matter of weeks, then maybe you're over-qualified / experienced and not pushing yourself. That's absolutely fine if you're just in it for the 9 to 5, but some people like a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

eoin_s wrote: »
    It depends a lot on how long the OP is in the job for. As I said, it's really not that unusual to be overwhelmed at first, and even doubt yourself a little.

In fact, if you are cruising through your day after a matter of weeks, then maybe you're over-qualified / experienced and not pushing yourself. That's absolutely fine if you're just in it for the 9 to 5, but some people like a challenge.

Well just from my own experience, I spent a lot of time agonising over these kind of decisions when I was in PAYE employment. Looking back, with the benefit of the experience I now have, I was very unhappy in these jobs, but I often found myself in a "golden handcuffs" situation where the money was keeping me in the job. At the end of the day, I knew I was unhappy in the job and eventually I learnt that it was ok to jack it in and try something else...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been in the job just over 2 months. Some of the areas I have taken to pretty easy to but one or two parts are really bogging me down. Tasks that should take half a day are taking 2 days. So I have some good days and some really bad days. Last week was one of the worst weeks I have ever had and really felt like walking out but I am not that type of guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

I agree with Darragh.

You can change jobs easily enough if you dont like your current position.
    There is nothing wrong with a change if the job is doing your health in.

I experienced high stress job situations and eventually became a refusenik.
    My hair started falling out everytime I took a shower and I knew it had to stop. I am glad to say I still have my full head of hair :-)

It is easier to change your life if you are not tied to a mortgage and a family.
    If you have neither then you are in a position to have the life you want.

I know well the gut feeling you describe and it is a good indicator that everything is not well. Your body and mind are taking a beating and it is not nice. You can only take this punishment for so long and then you fold.

Try to think about your future and what you would really like to do with your life. Good luck.

A week nearly down and another weekend to relax. It is Friday morning and I am sitting in my lovely sitting ring in my lovely house and but for I have to pay for it I would have left my job by now. Every morning I am starting to get up and my mind starts racing thinking about stuff at work that I didn't get work on during the previous day and I am nervous and anxious that I will be quizzed and asked why are they not done and that the reason I give will be pathetic. My stomache is is overdrive and some mornings breakfast is not for me. I love my breakfast! Sorry if this reads like a diary entry but I just needed to get it off my chest. I have spoken with my gf and she supports what I ever do but I not in these times she is very worried about how we would pay the bills.

Is it possible that my employer hired the wrong person? Have you ever felt that you could not do the job you were hired to do? I think that is how I feel about my current situation...

you sound like you're in a very similar situation to me.Every time my boss says my name, my stomach drops.I'm so afraid they're going to ask me something I haven't done or can't answer.It wasnt always like this, but a change of boss on the last year, and moving to a different section has resulted in me hating my job so much I want to cry most days. Worst is that I work in the construction industry and I'm fully qualified with a degree, but finding another job is next to impossible now.Companies all over the country are letting people go,not hiring.I've started hunting anyway because to be honest I want my life back.I'm sick of the endless hours, the freezing cold and the pure crap that comes my way from my own company, let alone subcontractors, every day.
    Yes i'm miserable, but I'm doing my utmost to get out.No job is worth this.You should too.

Advertisement