Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT or Ericom

Options
  • 12-10-2008 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

My land line is capable of only 1mg broadband. I am attracted to BT because their package includes free landline calls to UK. I am not of one is better than the other with BB quality.

Any feedback?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Go with BT, they use Eircom's line so why pay Eircom more.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

I would avoid BT like the plague...my experience with them was horrific.

1) Overcharged me twice...each time it took ages to sort out.
    2) Had me on a lower speed than what I was paying for until I complained.
    3) Disconnecting from them did not go smoothly
    4) As a parting gift they charged me 90euros for no apparent reason...I went ballistic and that took two months to be paid back. Never again:mad:

All in all based on my personal experience and that of a friend, maybe other boardsies had great service, avoid BT their a shambles of a BB company. I'm no fan of Eircon either but they generally seem to provide a reasonable service, just way overpriced imo.

If you will be calling the UK all the time then maybe the BT package is worth the risk, just don't be too surprised if your back here in a few months asking for help.

Regards,
    hideous.ape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Go with BT, they use Eircom's line so why pay Eircom more.

Because BT are the devil's spawn? It took 9 months to get BT to stop hunting me down for 50 euro I didn't even owe them. In fact, they owed me 36 euro.

Not if BT were the last ISP left in Ireland would I recommend them.

Also, not quite exactly the same thing either. True, it's the same line and exchange connection, and the contention is controlled by eircom, but backhaul and routing is in the domain of the ISP. This can have an effect on pings and speeds.

Look at the other ISP's deals first, like Imagine, IBB, Digiweb, UTV, Perlico, etc. They've all got problems, but none I've heard of approaching the incompetence of BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

Every ISP has its weak points...
    I'm with BT. I must say I never had problem with them. Yes, they are reputedly slow when dealing with billing issues, but they did refund the wireless modem they charged me (I never asked for it).
    They are significantly cheaper than eircom. I have the Broadband Option 3, ping is reasonably good, 6.2Mbps, line rental included... 56€/month.
    Sometimes getting internet can be a lottery, everything can go smoothly in which case most people won't go debating on how good their connection is on a forum, sometimes it's the start of a bad experience...
    Bottom line: It's worth the risk, the money you'll save within a year should put Eircom to shame.
    P.S: I think you can get unlimited calls in ROI and UK for 66€/month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Been with BT for 2 1/2 years without issue.

Bills on time and correct, approx €120 for 2 mths
    1mb BB
    Unlimited UK and Ireland Call
    Line Rental

Never a problem

• Advertisement

I've never had a problem with BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Check out UTV, €32.35 per month for the first 3 months then €46.34 thereafter for 1Mb with anytime UK and Ireland calls. UTV do not generally have billing problems but have had some network issues and have a disconnection charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 firesniffer

Sharkreef wrote: »
    My land line is capable of only 1mg broadband. I am attracted to BT because their package includes free landline calls to UK. I am not of one is better than the other with BB quality.

Any feedback?

Thanks

stay away from eircom no matter what you do
    read my eircom thread to see my horror stories and indeed the many more
    your nightmare will begin from the moment you change over..
    if you're bad now prepare for worst to come

chris

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Been with BT since 2005.

Only issue in that time was the speed issues after eircom made a balls of the 7.6mbps upgrade.
    That was sorted within a fortnight.

Eircom seen to be having their own speed issues at the moment.

I'd recommend BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Eircom all the way,I know people are always complaining about them,but at the end of the day,the broadband they provide is the best on market and most realible and well maintained,the price isnt cheapest,but cheap doesnt mean good,I take it you have amber line,so you'll get max 1mb but most likely half an mb,and theres also a strong possibility it wont work at all,go through Eircom,because any problems you have with the sevice is dealt with much better by them as they own and maintain the line,BT is only a middle man,providing you Eircom broadband as its an Eircom line,if you have problems it can be troublesome as you deal with them as they in turn deal with Eircom,dont mind all the complaints and whinges you hear about Eircom,Im a ComReg employee and I can tell you they have most problem fee Broadband,be honest I doubt BB will even work on your line,go to Irish BB,most realible wireless provider

• Advertisement

Irlbo wrote: »
    dont mind all the complaints and whinges you hear about Eircom,Im a ComReg employee and I can tell you they have most problem fee Broadband
    That's not what Comreg said to me :confused:, according to the person I spoke to they siad they have been inundated with calls over the last two months about Eircom and all their resellers with regards to speed issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 firesniffer

Irlbo wrote: »
    ,Im a ComReg employee and I can tell you they have most problem fee Broadband,be honest I doubt BB will even work on your line,go to Irish BB,most realible wireless provider

or to me they also told me they were blasted with calls the last few weeks,
    and I seen somewhere actually, "I will try and find it again and post it" Eircom were voted the 2nd worst Broadband provider in Ireland. The top 3 worst were listed and they were sitting there nice and pretty.

So maybe you better stop taking all those coffee breaks ;)

or to me they also told me they were blasted with calls the last few weeks,
    and I seen somewhere actually, "I will try and find it again and post it" Eircom were voted the 2nd worst Broadband provider in Ireland. The top 3 worst were listed and they were sitting there nice and pretty.

So maybe you better stop taking all those coffee breaks ;)
    Bet you he works for Eircon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mickmullen80

does any1 know what perlico is like for broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

hellboy99 wrote: »
    That's not what Comreg said to me :confused:, according to the person I spoke to they siad they have been inundated with calls over the last two months about Eircom and all their resellers with regards to speed issues.
    Only because of the upgrades that went to **** because of...

Our crap old copper lines that really don't like the new speeds.
    Badly planned upgrades (that are only half done, well about 60%)
    Resellers getting the hit too because Eircom turned on Interleaving.

Advertisement