Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT on Irish bought car returning from UK?

Options
  • 12-10-2008 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I'm planning to buy my brother's car soon. It was origionally bought and registered in Ireland in 2002, then brought to England in 2004 and registered there with English plates.

Does anyone know if I'm eligible to pay full VRT on the car when I re-register it here in Ireland?

Or can I just put the old Irish plates on it and pay back tax?

tia,
    -O

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will need to check with the VRO but afaik if the car was originally registered in Ireland then VRT was already paid on it back them so you should not have to pay VRT on it twice.

Afaik it will even get it's original registration number again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 OwenEd

thanks for the quick reply BaZZ26! yeah, makes sense - that the tax is only a first time registration tax.
    -O

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Definitely no VRT, and old reg no back.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement