Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dental X-Rays

• 12-10-2008 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I was just wondering does anyone have any info on how often dental x-rays are/should be carried out? The reason I ask is that my BF recently attended his dentist for a routine check up and the dentist carried out 2 x-rays in case he needed any fillings. He attends his dentist for a yearly check up and goes to the hygienist twice a year for a clean and had absolutely no symptoms indicating that he may have a problem. This raises the issue of both cost and exposure to perhaps unnecessary x-rays(a small risk I know but surely better not to have an x-ray if not required). Are we maybe too quick to accept what a person in a white coat says? I have browsed the net but can't find any guidelines regarding this. Any info or links would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

This is a little bit of a catch 22. Dentists are required to have a clinical necessity to take an x-ray but some would argue that an examination is a clinical necessity given that when looking in a patient's mouth we are able to see only the outer surface of the tooth and therefore unable to examine under fillings by direct vision. X-rays are used not just to check for decay but also for periodontal disease and abcesses which may not yet be symptomatic. I generally take them for new patients to keep a record of condition of teeth when the patient registers at my surgery and them maybe every 18mths to 2 years if there are no problems. If the patient has a history of high decay rate or gum disease i may take them more frequently. As for exposure, more dentists are now installing digital xray equipment which means the patient is exposed to miniscule doses of radiation

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bunalunhoney

Thanks for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fldats

Thank you for your very informative article.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dental_care

The Americal Dental Association recommends people with healthy gums and teeth can have dental X-ray once in every 2-3 years, while people with oral complications can have X-rays in every 1-2 years.

Advertisement