Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Duty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

coffey-16 wrote: »

If the total value of the product plus shipping is less than E22, it will be exempt from duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

thanks for the reply:) out of interest how much would it cost if it was over the €22....€30 we'll say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

coffey-16 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply:) out of interest how much would it cost if it was over the €22....€30 we'll say?

21% + tax (which I think is 3.4%) on both the costs of the goods and the cost of the shipping. I believe there's also a handling charge of 5 euro or so.

BuddhaJoe wrote: »
    21% + tax (which I think is 3.4%) on both the costs of the goods and the cost of the shipping. I believe there's also a handling charge of 5 euro or so.

mostly correct except i believe the handling fee is more like 8 euro and that goes on before Vat or duty. In theory the rate of duty depends on it's tarec. If there is no CN22 or it is not filled in correctly they put an assumed rate of duty on it that is more than likely more than it should be. I have imported some item before which according to the revenue commissioner classification codes thereshould be no duty on.

So if it was 22 euro to begin with
    after the admin charge it is revalued at 30 (22+8 admin)
    30euro attracting say an interest rate of 10% valed at 33 euro before vat
    33 + 21% vat =39.20

What's wrong with the system is the worse the exchange rate between where you import it from and the euro the more duty you pay.

Whether or not you are charged the appropiate duty is fairly random as far as I can tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mostly correct except i believe the handling fee is more like 8 euro and that goes on before Vat or duty.

They can charge up to €15. An Post charge €5, including VAT.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    They can charge up to €15. An Post charge €5, including VAT.

Fair enough. I neve had a break down from An post, but I have from a private carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If the total value of the product plus shipping is less than E22, it will be exempt from duty.

That is the law, but in reality it would be rare to be charged duty & vat on something under €45 excluding the postage.

Even at xmas time when interviewed the post/customs guys on the news say this. I think it is €45 for gifts, this is supposed to include post, but they do not really do this. If stung for duty then they will include the postage though.

They might do you below the €45 limit if the company you ordered from are acting the maggot or doing massive trading, like play.com.

Advertisement