Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor - 3g

• 12-10-2008 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi

Can someone explain to me how 3G works or what you are charged for.

I have been accessing itvia Meteor Stuff and I go to Facebook. I don't seem to be getting charged - Is this how it works?

Is it free to use and just charged for downloads?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Could anyone tell me why E still comes up when I go online? Even though I am in a 3G covered area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Do you have a 3G phone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

start a new thread for yourself

whisht wrote: »
    Do you have a 3G phone???

Yeah. Only picked up the 3120 Classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

if E is appearing on your phone then you don't have 3g coverage

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    if E is appearing on your phone then you don't have 3g coverage

Full bars and 3G beside them... Does that not mean I have 3G coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Full bars and 3G beside them... Does that not mean I have 3G coverage

yip, happy surfing:)

Still comes up with an E or a G... I'm lost :confused:

Still comes up with an E or a G... I'm lost :confused:
    what type of phone do you have? Are you saying that the E or G shows up at the same time as the 3g label or does one change into the other?

are you seeing these labels just below the coverage indicator on the top left of the screen?

below the labels can you see two arrows pointing opposite directions? And are they solid or dashed and is there a line crossed through them?

also, 3g coverage can be quite unreliable. I have it in some parts of my house but not others

• Advertisement

and the change over between 2g and 3g isn't always the most reliable. Sometimes it takes ages and you can be left with no coverage for a while

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

and the change over between 2g and 3g isn't always the most reliable. Sometimes it takes ages and you can be left with no coverage for a while
    As we pointed out to them :)

I'm using a 3120 Classic. The 3G and coverage bars (which are full) stay up in the corner and then either the G or E appears opposite when I connect to the internet... There are no arrows of any sort. Do you need special 3G internet settings? Video calls work fine if that's anything.

I'm using a 3120 Classic. The 3G and coverage bars (which are full) stay up in the corner and then either the G or E appears opposite when I connect to the internet... There are no arrows of any sort. Do you need special 3G internet settings? Video calls work fine if that's anything.

what happens when you go into the internet, are you getting any error.....if it says 3G in the corner your on the Meteor 3G network, If its an E your on edge but you can still surf the web, just at a slower speed....

It works the same as it always did with Edge no faster. Its just weird that I am on the 3G network at full coverage and still only can browse the web on Edge regardless...

It works the same as it always did with Edge no faster. Its just weird that I am on the 3G network at full coverage and still only can browse the web on Edge regardless...

that's quite possible, 3G is up to 3.6mps but your guranteed nothing, edge can be better at times as your not sharing your internet connection with the rest of the network (cell).....

I don't mean to keep going on about this. But surely if it says E or G on top its not on the 3G network (even though I have full 3G coverage)... So presumably I won't even have a chance of getting 3G speeds unless that problem is fixed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

that's quite possible, 3G is up to 3.6mps but your guranteed nothing, edge can be better at times as your not sharing your internet connection with the rest of the network (cell).....
    Also, the connection can sometimes be faster than the speed at which phones can render html pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

But surely if it says E or G on top its not on the 3G network (even though I have full 3G coverage)...
    Don't get confused mate. People think that just because they live beside a mast that it means they automatically have 3g. That's false. Some masts are merely 'rebeamers', not 3g at all, and so some people get fooled.

On the other hand, your friend may have a different kid of phone, may have pretty good 3g coverage, but you may have none, which is a normal enough situation.

Unless you specifically get "3G" written beside the signal bar on your phone, then you don't have 3G coverage in that area.

Pointless picture. Is this wrong or right. I am left clueless.

pic0006cz7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

im using an N95 8GB, and i permantly have 3G coverage when im at home in finglas, but right now in work in harolds cross i have standard full signal.

is there any benefit to having the 3G coverage at home as in, what extras do i get? is it just a quicker internet speed?

excuse my ignorance, but i dont really understand the whole 3G thing :o

(and theres me looking at buying an Iphone! LOL :rolleyes:)

To me it seems that you are on the 3G network but your phone just uses the G (or E) icon as an indicator that a data session is active. I know the Motorola RAZR V3x does this too, even when on the 3G network it says "GPRS Session Active" on the standby screen. It's a bit on the dumb side but that's the way they do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

kceire wrote: »
    im using an N95 8GB, and i permantly have 3G coverage when im at home in finglas, but right now in work in harolds cross i have standard full signal.

is there any benefit to having the 3G coverage at home as in, what extras do i get? is it just a quicker internet speed?

excuse my ignorance, but i dont really understand the whole 3G thing :o

(and theres me looking at buying an Iphone! LOL :rolleyes:)

You've summed it up pretty much in your post. GPRS is often referred to as 2.5G and HSDPA is more commonly referred to as 3.5G, but there is no real commonly used acronym for 3G on it's own.

All any of the above, 2.5G, 3G, 3.5G, really mean is faster Internet speeds and the ability to use new services such as video-calling, streaming etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have to say, i think it's about time prices are becoming more reasonable for browsing the net on the go for prepay customers. My whole bus journey was spent online with my e62 there yesterday and i thought was great, no issues at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Pointless picture. Is this wrong or right. I am left clueless.

pic0006cz7.jpg

I have a 3120 Classic also. Its on O2 and the picture you have above is correct for 3G coverage. It always shows a G with a box around it when the data connection is active and an E with a box when on EDGE.

whisht wrote: »
    I have a 3120 Classic also. Its on O2 and the picture you have above is correct for 3G coverage. It always shows a G with a box around it when the data connection is active and an E with a box when on EDGE.

according to Nokia a Box wih a G around it can stand for GPRS and a box with an E for Edge, if your getting either of those boxes I don't think you have a 3G data connection established....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

according to Nokia a Box wih a G around it can stand for GPRS and a box with an E for Edge, if your getting either of those boxes I don't think you have a 3G data connection established....
    I get a G with a box around it on my 6233 when I connect to the web also, and again an E when on Edge.

The 3g symbol (3 on top of G) is only visible in the home screen next to the signal bars.

I get a G with a box around it on my 6233 when I connect to the web also, and again an E when on Edge.

The 3g symbol (3 on top of G) is only visible in the home screen next to the signal bars.

right so a G can mean either a GPRS or 3G connection depending on whether 3g is visible to the left or not and the E means an edge connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

right so a G can mean either a GPRS or 3G connection depending on whether 3g is visible to the left or not and the E means an edge connection
    Bingo.

As obvious as a chameleon.

• Advertisement

I've been playing around with one and I think a G in a box with no high light is GPRS and a G in a box with white highlight means 3G...

Advertisement