Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mossberg 590

Options
  • 12-10-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has his heart set on a mossberg 590 pump shottie, it's only got an 18" barrel and he asked me if they were legal. A little help on this one and I would be really greatful:)
    I don't know why he has his heart set on a tactical shotgun as it's not much good for hunting or clays??? :confused: Thanks again lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It is now on the restricted list due to the mag capacity,[whenever this is enforced,]18in barrel is appx a six shot.Proably also because of the 18in barrel he wil have a job on two counts with the restricted liscense,maybe ,maybe not.:)
    Would be better off getting the eight shot model which is about 21/22 ins.
    Ive shot clays [skeet]and game with the 18ins in the US.Here I have a 24in Slug cylinder bore and I shoot pretty much everything with it.

Personally if I was re doing things;I would get A Remmy 870 with a slug cylinder bore barrel.[Points better IMO and has the same effect] and same mag capacity,plus you can buy more add on bits for the Remmy than the Mossberg.So you can modify it to game or whatever shooting a lot easier.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    It is now on the restricted list due to the mag capacity,[whenever this is enforced,]18in barrel is appx a six shot.Proably also because of the 18in barrel he wil have a job on two counts with the restricted liscense,maybe ,maybe not.:)
    Would be better off getting the eight shot model which is about 21/22 ins.
    Ive shot clays [skeet]and game with the 18ins in the US.Here I have a 24in Slug cylinder bore and I shoot pretty much everything with it.

Personally if I was re doing things;I would get A Remmy 870 with a slug cylinder bore barrel.[Points better IMO and has the same effect] and same mag capacity,plus you can buy more add on bits for the Remmy than the Mossberg.So you can modify it to game or whatever shooting a lot easier.

Thanks for all the valuable information Grizzly, I really appreciate it...... Well after that, I guess I'll just have to try convince him otherwise ha ha. Thanks again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I think the Remmy can take chokes where the Mossberg doesn't. Am open to correction here, but that would be a disadvantage as well.

Personally I can't really see the reason for pump action shotguns now that semis are available. The pump will work with single clay shooting but any double clay competitions are out because the action would be too messy for the second clay.

Just my 2 cent worth ;)

[
    Not anymore..The Mossys can be choked nowadays,seeing that they are making shotgun barrels for Remington in the first place.:)

Personally I can't really see the reason for pump action shotguns now that semis are available. The pump will work with single clay shooting but any double clay competitions are out because the action would be too messy for the second clay.
    Dont say that too loudly around Tom Knapp and Co.:) Those boys can bust self hand thrown clays with either pump or semi so fast you would think they are firing full auto.The advantage still over a semi is the pump will continue to work coverd in so much clag and dirt that would choke a semi.Plus it isnt finicky on what you shove into it and down it.Semis can be finicky on ammo.As for clays,it can be a distinct advantage,as when you cycle the action,you can use that time to correct your point,I find.
    Biggest sin is "short stroking " the slide and not clearing the ejected shell on a pump.Most fun I ever had was on a flapper shoot with a so called mallard flight.This is where you had a dozen clays launched at you and your opponent.Most were armed with twin barrels.Me with a pump with six in the mag,24in slug open bore barrel.Three bouts later,I had the highest score EVER in my shooting career of clays.:D:D.Would have kept going if I had any more ammo.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

.The advantage still over a semi is the pump will continue to work coverd in so much clag and dirt that would choke a semi.Plus it isnt finicky on what you shove into it and down it.Semis can be finicky on ammo

Yup I have what would be considered an expensive semi auto in the form of a Benelli Super Black Eagle II, It is a pig of thing ammo wise. Bullets from here has seen just how annoying it is.

It has to be kept spotless and wont cycle most clay carts reliably. Fine for duck etc but man its annoying for lower power carts. If you don't mount it spot on it will also jam.

On the other hand my brother has a Beretta Xtrema2 which I sold to him (I regret that big time) and it has never jammed once and he never cleans it. Maybe once a season it gets cleaned and he shoots probably 1200-1500 carts a season

If someone asked me to recommend an all round shotgun it would be the Xtrema2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Yup I have what would be considered an expensive semi auto in the form of a Benelli Super Black Eagle II, It is a pig of thing ammo wise. Bullets from here has seen just how annoying it is.

It has to be kept spotless and wont cycle most clay carts reliably. Fine for duck etc but man its annoying for lower power carts. If you don't mount it spot on it will also jam.

On the other hand my brother has a Beretta Xtrema2 which I sold to him (I regret that big time) and it has never jammed once and he never cleans it. Maybe once a season it gets cleaned and he shoots probably 1200-1500 carts a season

If someone asked me to recommend an all round shotgun it would be the Xtrema2.

Vegeta,

I've a Benelli Montrefeltro (left -handed) and it has never jammed once - fires all cartridges from clays to heavy loads with no problems or jammed ( i fires about 1500 shells a year)

It may not be the action that is causing the problem with recycling it may be the tube underneath the barrel that contains the cartridges - it this doesn't cycle smoothly then a shell will not be broufgt up to the breech - if your gun fires the shell and ejects empty but does not bring up a new shell then this is more than likely the problem.

If it is then in the tube that contains the cartridges there is a black bung - the cartridges press this in as you load - rub some lubricant around this to make sure that it slides in and out smoothly and quickly - this could cure your problem.

On the pump front I had a Remington 870 left handed pump action for 26 years and it is definitely as fast as a semi once you have mastered the 'pump' technique. Many fellows remove the pump from the shoulder to 'pump' but if its done while held at the shoulder then it is lightening fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

J.R. wrote: »
    Vegeta,

I've a Benelli Montrefeltro (left -handed) and it has never jammed once - fires all cartridges from clays to heavy loads with no problems or jammed ( i fires about 1500 shells a year)

It may not be the action that is causing the problem with recycling it may be the tube underneath the barrel that contains the cartridges - it this doesn't cycle smoothly then a shell will not be broufgt up to the breech - if your gun fires the shell and ejects empty but does not bring up a new shell then this is more than likely the problem.

If it is then in the tube that contains the cartridges there is a black bung - the cartridges press this in as you load - rub some lubricant around this to make sure that it slides in and out smoothly and quickly - this could cure your problem.

Done this but to no real effect, you're right though this is the problem. The action cycles and jams the new cart half way between magazine tube underneath and barrel.
    On the pump front I had a Remington 870 left handed pump action for 26 years and it is definitely as fast as a semi once you have mastered the 'pump' technique. Many fellows remove the pump from the shoulder to 'pump' but if its done while held at the shoulder then it is lightening fast.

Would this be considered fast or what for pump shooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Here I have a 24in Slug cylinder bore and I shoot pretty much everything with it.

Have a remmy 870 myself Grizzly, any idea where you got the 24CB barrel? Been looking for one but was told by my local RFD that barrels with 'rifle-type sights' for shotguns were illegal:rolleyes:

PS The 590 is a combat shotgun, even has a bayonet lug :o But that said I always found Mossies to be much more solid and easier to work than remmys, dunno why

[
    quote=José Alaninho;57561581]Have a remmy 870 myself Grizzly, any idea where you got the 24CB barrel? Been looking for one but was told by my local RFD that barrels with 'rifle-type sights' for shotguns were illegal:rolleyes:
    Hi Jose
    It came with the gun,and a spare barrel with an adjust a choke.Was one of the combo packs.Try whoever imports Remmy here they should be able to get it for you.Or failing that try Remmy USA.It shouldnt be a restricted UN export part.Hate to say it but your FAO is talking out his proveribal.
    The Gardai inspected mine once,and all they wanted was the reciver serial number on the spare barrel.10 mins with a dremel sorted that out.Seen plenty of Slug barrels around on both Remmy and Mossies.Guess he has never heard of aftermarket Ghost Ring sites that can be fitted onto any pump either?

PS The 590 is a combat shotgun, even has a bayonet lug :o But that said I always found Mossies to be much more solid and easier to work than remmys, dunno why
    [/QUOTE]
    Indeed,and a VERY hardy shotgun it is too.Basically it is a beefed up reciver and whatnot,and a heat shield and made "Grunt Proof" all round. It still has plenty of sporting use though.Especially in Marine coat finish.
    Funny you should say that they[Mossies] work better.I have found their new production guns getting more tinnier and harder in the slide action.
    Nor do I like their plastic "mini" foregrip in my big paws.The wood foregrip was much better ergnomically I found. OTOH Remmy seems to be improving their production guns in quality.Maybe you have an earlier model Mossie like me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

My main beef with the remington is the extractor Grizz, if a shell bulges or gets stuck in the chamber the only way it's comin out is to take off the barrel and shove a cleaning rod down there. The Mossberg has not one but TWO big, beefy sprung extractors and just a generally more reliable bolt construction (plus not having that damned shell carrier blocking the loading port, and a more easily accessable safety). That's not to knock the remmy though, I've had one a year now and no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Done this but to no real effect, you're right though this is the problem. The action cycles and jams the new cart half way between magazine tube underneath and barrel.

Would this be considered fast or what for pump shooting?

Vegeta,

If you've lubricated the black 'bung' and you still have problems then just in front of this bung you will see two metal clips that grab the cartridge when it's released from below - check that there's not grit caught here - clean both and lubricate - this could solve your problem.

If not solved now then your spring in the cartridge carrier may need to be slightly stretched (not too much) to provide slightly more pressure to fully release the cartridge into the chamber.

Can't seem to get the u-tube clip up but this is fairly fast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Like above thanks for all the indepth insight. Cheers lads:)

The Mossberg has not one but TWO big, beefy sprung extractors and just a generally more reliable bolt construction (plus not having that damned shell carrier blocking the loading port, and a more easily accessable safety).
    The only thing with reasembling the Mossberg is you could do with an xtra hand tro get the guide rods/ejector bars/bolt to all fit together in a hurry.
    Plus one other thing on the saftey and trigger mechanism housing .They bare both plastic bits ,liable to break.The saftey switch isnt a job to replace,but it has been suggested that a prudent mossie owner will have a spare trigger mech housing as backup.One thing Remmy still makes from steel.

Advertisement