Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Avensis in the flesh

Options
  • 12-10-2008 11:09pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭

dont know if actual pics have been posted here yet but here is some of the 2009 car.

big_toyota005.jpg

big_toyota006.jpg

big_toyota017.jpg

big_toyota024.jpg

big_toyota022.jpg

and engine line up :

- 1.6i Valvetronic 132 CV 6v
    - 1.8i Valvetronic 147 CV 6v
    - 1.8i Valvetronic 147 CV Multidrive
    - 2.0i Valvetronic 152 CV 6v
    - 2.0i Valvetronic 152 CV Multidrive
    - 2.0 D4D 126 CV 6v
    - 2.2 D4D 150 CV 6v
    - 2.2 D4D CAT Aut. 150 CV
    - 2.2 D4D CAT 177 CV 6v

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Eww.

And

Eww.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That front end is manky. The bonnet looks like a slab just sitting on the wings. The first pic from further away does it no favours at all. Looks better closer up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Tragedy wrote: »
    Eww.

And

Eww.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

kceire wrote: »
    dont know if actual pics have been posted here yet but here is some of the 2009 car.

and engine line up :

- 1.6i Valvetronic 132 CV 6v
    - 1.8i Valvetronic 147 CV 6v
    - 1.8i Valvetronic 147 CV Multidrive
    - 2.0i Valvetronic 152 CV 6v
    - 2.0i Valvetronic 152 CV Multidrive
    - 2.0 D4D 126 CV 6v
    - 2.2 D4D 150 CV 6v
    - 2.2 D4D CAT Aut. 150 CV
    - 2.2 D4D CAT 177 CV 6v

Thanks for posting these pictures

Truly it is an awful looking car

The front looks similar too, but worse than a Nissan Tiida (apologies to Sister Majella of Our Ladies of Perpetual Motion in Sneem)

The interior silverised plastic, well I have seen better in a Euro shop in the kiddies cars section

If the figure of 132 cv means 132 Bhp than that should bring the accceleration up to pedestrian levels rather than the truly terrible performance of the current Avensis:rolleyes:

Stiil it should steam past the majority of the current bread "n" butter Ford Mondeos crucified by a terribly underpowered 1.6l

The worst things about Toyota engines is that you have to rev the BeWhatsits out of them and you still go no faster. I expect the same from the new ones

I know I had one for a month rental on business:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

problem is it will sell by the bucketloads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Bee wrote: »
    If the figure of 132 cv means 132 Bhp than that should bring the accceleration up to pedestrian levels rather than the truly terrible performance of the current Avensis:rolleyes:

Stiil it should steam past the majority of the current bread "n" butter Ford Mondeos crucified by a terribly underpowered 1.6l

Thing is though - we now tax cars on CO2 making small capacity petrols redundant. I know Toyota will bring it in but that doesn't change the fact that since July there has been a big swing towards diesel, with 85% of Fords now filling up at the black pump rather than the green one.

The 2.0 D-4D will be the best selling model, and that has 126 bhp and 221 lb ft of torque. It's also in band B rather than band C for motor tax and VRT. As the 1.6 will be rather powerful for its size, I would imagine the price gap between it and the 2.0 D-4D will not be that big and hence the 2.0 D-4D should be only a fraction dearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

meh, its just like the newwerish primera... it goes on you...

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Looks like a lexus is220 from the wing mirrors back.I like it....but only from the side...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

alo1587 wrote: »
    Looks like a lexus is220 from the wing mirrors back.I like it....but only from the side...

I agree - i have attached a pic of them both from the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

alo1587 wrote: »

+1

Looks ok from side profile.. but from any other angle it looks.............. well ..........POO !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I think straight on view of the rear is the only angle I could like it from :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

They have done their best to make the front of the cars look as ugly as possibe - shame really as the rest of the car looks good

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Where the Accelerator Pedal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

there isn't any
    the car chooses to toodle along at whatever speed emits the least CO2 or 10km below the speed limit for safety reasons. This is to make Biffo feel better about himself

Every time you push an accelerator a panda dies!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Do I detect from the photos that it will have an electronic rather than centre console parking brake?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ugh, I think i just threw up a little!

What an awful looking car

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps it is powered by that new smugness drive. The smarmier the grin, the faster they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Why don't they copy the Aurion from Australia. Nice car all-round with a really good set of V6 engines, there's no decent big toyota in Ireland anymore. :(

toyota-aurion-touring1.jpg

Ah there is, it just happens to be called a Lexus ;)

Top Dog wrote: »
    Ah there is, it just happens to be called a Lexus ;)

The badge costs alone deter me somewhat! :eek:

I just want a big toyota for reliability and comfort. I don't want the lexus stuff, whenever it does need new parts, the sight of that badge is enough to add zeros to the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Ugly from any angle.

From the front, bonnet+bumper+grille are ugly.

From side profile, bonnet looks too tall/bulky, and front lights are too big, rear ends far too suddenly and again, lights too bulky. And the proportion just looks all out.

From rear: Plain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Joker wrote: »

I just want a big toyota for reliability and comfort. I don't want the lexus stuff, whenever it does need new parts, the sight of that badge is enough to add zeros to the prices.[/QUOTE]

i would kill for a 2004 shape camry with the 2.2 D4D engine in it :D

kceire wrote: »
    i would kill for a 2004 shape camry with the 2.2 D4D engine in it :D

/Sighs deeply with smile

Me too. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I think its a nice looking car.

You lot would think it looked better if its was black.

Ok I will never drive one, sticking with the A4 or new Passatt CC but if the recession hits my company hard and my new car needs to be cheaper I would have no issue driving that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The new Avensis is not nearly as bad as some are making out, a big improvement on the old model.

Not my thing but that's because i am a enthusiast and like something a little different. It's better than the Mondeo that's for sure.

I think the antipathy towards it has a lot to do with snobbery...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Joker wrote: »

I just want a big toyota for reliability and comfort. I don't want the lexus stuff, whenever it does need new parts, the sight of that badge is enough to add zeros to the prices.

Altezza :pac:

pburns wrote: »
    The new Avensis is not nearly as bad as some are making out, a big improvement on the old model.
    Lets be honest, it couldn't have gotten much worse. The old model was a bland car in a market infested with bland cars.

I don't like the front at all, the slab of a bonnet. It could look better in a darker colour, so I'll reserve judgement until I see it in the metal. From the rear I think it looks very similar to the newer Lexus IS range which is no bad thing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Toyota have now released the prices and specs for the Avensis in the UK.

It's at least £1,000 more than the old model, but comes with more goodies.

The basic T2 model has an electric hand brake, an alarm, heated electric mirrors, automatic door locking above 20 km/h and a more advanced type of ESP as standard(previously the base model didn't have these features) in addition to what the Aura model had.

The mid range TR comes with essentially the same equipment as the outgoing Luna model here, but the auto dimming rear view mirror is gone, however Bluetooth and MP3 connectivity are now standard, and so are automatic lights, 17 instead of 16 inch alloys, as well as electric lumbar support adjustment, not to mention the extra stuff mentioned above for the T2 model.

So the second from the bottom trim in the UK has the same spec as the second from the top over here! Nice one:rolleyes:!

The next trim up is the T4, and that gives you Satnav, leather, auto dimming rear view mirror, electric front seats and keyless go.

So everything you could ever possibly need really!

But if that's not enough the top line T Spirit has 18 inch alloys, parking sensors, adaptive lighting, Xenon headlights, and a better stereo.

The 2.0 D-4D is £780 more than the 1.8, and the 2.2 D-4D 150 is £830 more than the 2.0 D-4D.

That of course is for the UK.

Looking forward to seeing how much of all these goodies are going to be removed for Ireland:rolleyes:. I'd say the electric hand brake is definitely not going to be standard, the alarm will probably go, and no doubt the better ESP system will be removed going on Toyota Ireland's past form of removing safety equipment for the Irish market too. After all they decided to remove aircon for the new iQ even though it's in the cheapest VRT band and of course aircon is standard in the UK too:rolleyes:.

Anyone else want to take bets on what else Toyota Ireland will remove for the Irish market:D:rolleyes:? Prizes for the closest guess:P!

And of course no doubt we'll be getting the 1.6 as well for good measure:rolleyes:! But I bet the 2.2 D-4D 180 won't be coming in (not that I'd buy it, but that's neither here nor there), in what, the company's flagship car here?

And will there be a trim level equivalent to the T Spirit model? If I were a betting man, I'd bet my left leg there won't be, in fact if we get something close to the T4 trim we'd be doing well. In fairness the T Spirit's spec level is overkill, I'll admit that much:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No attempt to change image or improve materials at toyota then. Bland plastic heap of sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

The ugliest part of that car must surely be the interior. Looked likes something from 10 years ago.

Advertisement