Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claiming tax back after moving abroad

• 12-10-2008 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I did a quick search (am at work so didn’t want to be too detailed!) and couldn’t find anything about my situation. I worked in Ireland from January to April of this year (2008). I then moved to NZ. I know a friend of mine claimed tax back when she moved to Aus and got a bit of money (and it’ll be in cold hard euros too!). Anyone know am I entitled to a refund? How do I go about it? I did a bit of googling and a lot of companies helping you claim your tax back came up but I don’t want to share my monies with them if I have to!

I’m pretty sure I had rent relief tax credits in my tax credit statement at the beginning of the year so maybe that would balance it out? It’s hard to organise this stuff from across the world!

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

You're entitled to a refund. I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I know of plenty of people who have claimed it after going off travelling for a year etc.

You may have to wait until the end of this year to claim the refund, you'll certainly have unutilised tax credits built up if you haven't been earning here since April. I would imagine that requesting a balancing statement from the Revenue would be a good move and then submit a claim in writing for a refund.

And just so you know, you can also reclaim PRSI that you paid this year, assuming you're below the threshold (something around €25k I think). That claim gets sent off to the Revenue also, and include a Balancing Statement/P60.

Hopefully someone else can give you a bit more detail on the specifics! Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

watna wrote: »
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Just ring Revenue, they are a helpful bunch.

You'll find various phone number on their site www.revenue.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Just ring Revenue, they are a helpful bunch.

You'll find various phone number on their site www.revenue.ie

Well, I'm in NZ so I'd rather not ring them if I can help it.

a) it's very epensive and you know how long you can be on the phone to revenue sometimes

b) I'm 12 hours ahead of Ireland so that can be awkward sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Download form P50 from Revenue.ie and send it to them along with your P45 from your job in Ireland. They'll pay whatever is owed to you into your nominated bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Ring them and ask for a P21 balancing statement and it'll issue automatically.

it's your unused credits against PAYE paid.

• Advertisement

SetantaL wrote: »
    Ring them and ask for a P21 balancing statement and it'll issue automatically.
    Indeed, takes all of 1 minute.
    watna wrote: »
    a) it's very epensive and you know how long you can be on the phone to revenue sometimes

Hardly that expensive to ring from Nz to Irl, first google search returned details of calling cards for 4.3c per minute. You either want the money or you don't :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

I'm leaving for Oz next week so will have about 10 weeks tax credits unused for this year, can I apply for them now or do I have to wait till the end of the year does anyone know.

cupthehand wrote: »
    I'm leaving for Oz next week so will have about 10 weeks tax credits unused for this year, can I apply for them now or do I have to wait till the end of the year does anyone know.
    Revenue do, but I'd also hazard a guess that in cases where you can prove you are not returning to work you can claim tax back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You'll probably have to wait although you chance your arm with a call.

Advertisement