Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay for collection of a faulty LCD tv?

Options
  • 13-10-2008 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,

I purchased a lcd tv from Harvey Norman yesterday and after I arrived home, I discovered it to be faulty. I rang them up and asked them could they collect the faulty model. They agreed to do so however they informed me they would be charging me €20 for collection and another €20 for delivery of the replacement!! It was an absolute pain going out to Blanchardstown and back for it however I understand i'm under no obligation to physically return the tv. If they refuse to collect it without payment, what are my rights in relation to recovering the costs of collection and delivery?

Any info is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Did they deliver it to you in the first place?

If you went out there and collected it yourself, i'm not sure you can expect them to collect it from you. It'd be nice, sure, but hardly within the realm of what they should expected to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Igy wrote: »
    Did they deliver it to you in the first place?

If you went out there and collected it yourself, i'm not sure you can expect them to collect it from you. It'd be nice, sure, but hardly within the realm of what they should expected to do.

+1

I think it's a tad unreasonable to expect them to foot the bill of pick up + redelivery. These expenses would not be reimbursed by the manufacturer (who at the end of the day is responsible for the faulty TV)

Have you checked to see if you can return it to Harvey Normans that is closer to where you live. Some chains allow this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

they are not being unreasonable and looking at your username, not everything is free

• Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi,

I purchased a lcd tv from Harvey Norman yesterday and after I arrived home, I discovered it to be faulty. I rang them up and asked them could they collect the faulty model. They agreed to do so however they informed me they would be charging me €20 for collection and another €20 for delivery of the replacement!! It was an absolute pain going out to Blanchardstown and back for it however I understand i'm under no obligation to physically return the tv. If they refuse to collect it without payment, what are my rights in relation to recovering the costs of collection and delivery?

Any info is appreciated.

If you don't physically return the TV they don't have to do anything. You have a broken TV which will sit in your place till you dump it.

Of couse you have to return it, how else are they supposed to know it's broke. If they had delivered the TV then yes they would have to collect it, but they didn't so it's not their problem to get it back.

At the end of the day it comes down to wether you want to spend several hours of your time returning the TV or €40 to get it colected and delivered again. TBH €40 for collection and delivery of a TV is good value, try getting a courier to do it for less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If they refuse to collect it without payment, what are my rights in relation to recovering the costs of collection and delivery?
    None whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Xcellor wrote: »
    +1

I think it's a tad unreasonable to expect them to foot the bill of pick up + redelivery. These expenses would not be reimbursed by the manufacturer (who at the end of the day is responsible for the faulty TV)

Have you checked to see if you can return it to Harvey Normans that is closer to where you live. Some chains allow this.

at the end of the day the seller/retailer is the only one legally obliged to provide a remedy but they are not obliged to collect the product unless previously agreed as part of the terms of sale.

op would you not be better putting the tv in the back of a taxa and bringing it back to the store?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I understand i'm under no obligation to physically return the tv.

what gave you that idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭catching_streams

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    what gave you that idea?

I read it on the Consumer's Association of Ireland's website. http://thecai.ie/rights.html

Seems everyone's opinion here differs to my colleagues at work who were outraged that they had the cheek to charge me to collect it. I brought it home myself by the way. Cheers for the feedback though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I read it on the Consumer's Association of Ireland's website. http://thecai.ie/rights.html
    I'd say you're under no obligation to physically return the TV, but think about it: they're hardly going to give you a full refund based on your word alone?

Send back no TV, get no refund. A taxi would cost more than €20.

Advertisement