Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tottenham travel info [planes]

Options
  • 13-10-2008 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

London City

London City Airport

The nearest airport to WHL as the crow flies is London City airport. Unfortunately, the airport is not particularly well served, with only direct flights from Dublin, and a reduced weekend service. Prices are steep, with taxes and charges alone for a return flight coming in at over €75. In addition, getting to WHL from LCY using public transport would involve a number of mode changes, and is not recommended for a day trip. Airlines, and the routes they serve into LCY are:

Cityjet Dublin

Stansted

BAA Stansted Airport

Stansted Airport is the best situated for travel to and from WHL. The airport is roughly 40 miles north of London, but connected to the city by an express rail service serving Tottenham Hale and Liverpool Street. Tottenham Hale is a 25 minute walk from WHL and is served by 4 trains per hour. Airlines, and the routes they serve into STN are:

Easyjet Belfast Int
    Ryanair Belfast City, Cork, Derry, Dublin, Kerry, Knock, Shannon.

Heathrow

BAA Heathrow Airport

Heathrow is west of London but of the four airports is the only one with a tube connection. Expect a long journey from LHR to the Lane if you choose the airport, either by tube or by Heathrow Express (15 minute express into Paddington Station), but the overall cost can work in your favour (flight plus day pass on London transport), and if you're staying in London after the game is as good a choice as any. Be conscious of travel time from WHL to LHR after a game if you intend flying in and out on the same day. Airlines, and the routes they serve are:

Aer Lingus Belfast Int, Cork, Dublin, Shannon
    BMI Belfast City, Dublin

Gatwick

BAA Gatwick Airport

Gatwick is about 30 miles south of London and served by an express train service to Victoria Station (30 minute journey time) in addition to regular NR services to King's Cross and elsewhere. Probably not the most conveniant airport to fly into, but can provide a cheaper alternative to the others at times. Airlines, and the routes they serve are:

Fly Be Belfast City
    Easyjet Belfast Int
    Aer Lingus Cork (starting March 6th), Dublin, Knock
    Ryanair Cork, Dublin, Shannon

Luton Airport

Luton Airport

30 miles north of London, but because of transport links you'll need to travel into the city before heading north again to WHL. Served by a shuttle bus to Luton Parkway station where the train leaves for King's Cross, taking 35 minutes to reach the city. Like Gatwick, not ideally situated but sometimes a good alternative in terms of cost. Airlines, and the routes they serve are:

Aer Arann Galway, Waterford
    EasyjetBelfast Int
    Ryanair Derry, Dublin, Kerry, Knock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Some important notes:

1. Take into account your requirements for a return flight before deciding where to fly into. If you are planning a day trip, then late evening weekend flights from London City and Luton are scarce. It can also be difficult to find a late flight from the other three airports on a Saturday evening. If your trip involves an overnight or weekend stay, then bear in mind where you are likely to stay, and how you will travel to/from the ground on the match day.

2. Stansted is without a doubt the most convenient of the five listed, as there is a direct train link from Stansted Airport to Tottenham Hale train station, which is a short walk (c. 25mins or so ) from the ground, and makes a quick getaway that bit easier. Typically allow yourself 1hr 30min from the end of a game to you walking in the door of Stansted Airport, providing the train service is running as normal (more on that later)

3. Always check for planned transport disruptions, if possible before you book your flights, and definitely before you leave home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Some important notes:

1. Take into account your requirements for a return flight before deciding where to fly into. If you are planning a day trip, then late evening weekend flights from London City and Luton are scarce. It can also be difficult to find a late flight from the other three airports on a Saturday evening. If your trip involves an overnight or weekend stay, then bear in mind where you are likely to stay, and how you will travel to/from the ground on the match day.

2. Stansted is without a doubt the most convenient of the five listed, as there is a direct train link from Stansted Airport to Tottenham Hale train station, which is a short walk (c. 25mins or so ) from the ground, and makes a quick getaway that bit easier. Typically allow yourself 1hr 30min from the end of a game to you walking in the door of Stansted Airport, providing the train service is running as normal (more on that later)

3. Always check for planned transport disruptions, if possible before you book your flights, and definitely before you leave home.

If a quick turn around is not your concern ( like your making a weekend of it) AND, you live in the South East. Waterford-Luton is a great trip! I have done it on numerous occasions, and to say it is hassle free is an understatement. I live in Wexford and I have done door to door from my house to the gates at WHL in 5 hours, yes 5 hours! I live an hour from Waterford International Airport (I say International as I went to Spain on me hols from there this year it was great!)

If I go via Dublin, it is about 8! - Between, the drive up and leaving yourself enough time for traffic and long term parking, the 2 hour check-in it is just a nightmare, especially on your return (if we have lost) nothing like that long trek from Dublin to really put you off going ever again.

SO! if your in the Sunny South East, Luton is the only way to fly, park outside the terminal, arrive half an hour before the flight, and still time for a drink in the bar!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

appreciate this as i usually just go for weekends but it always limits how many times i can get over because of the cost and all

Some of you may be aware of these from reading other forums on boards, but here's a few tips to save you a few € when booking flights with Ryanair. With Ryanair charging €10 per passenger per return flight there's quite a few € to be saved.

Use Ryanair gift vouchers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58670124&postcount=1

Vouchers are available in multiples of €25, but no balance is carried over. That means if you have a €50 voucher and you buy a €40 flight, you'll lose your €10 balance. To make this work, the value of the voucher has to be greater than the price of the flight. If it is, then no further charges are made, which means you don't have to use your credit card, which means no credit card handling fee is levied I've just booked flights to/from Birmingham for €48.30 [before CC charge], I used a €50 gift voucher and paid no extra charge, saving me €8.70.

There is no handling fee charged when purchasing your gift voucher, so €50 buys a €50 card. The voucher must be in the name of the lead passenger on your intended booking though. Once the transaction is complete you will receive the voucher code on the confirmation age, and it is usable immediately.

travel savings - Ryanair change prepaid option to mastercard

Ryanair have announced that as of 01/12/09 its free form of payment will be prepaid master card. These are available in Ireland via the link below and I am sure many other sources.
    So anyone can get one and save themselves the 5eur each way credit card fee.

https://www.wirecard.com/wirecard/

This wirecard option looks to be one of the best. There is an option to get a virtual card which from what I have researched they only charge 1 eur to load it via wire transfer and dont charge for purchases as long as ccy is eur. It is regulated in Germany so ac is in EUR.

Charges on link below. Note if you use a credit card to load rather than wire they charge 3% loading fee(for cheap flights you will still save).

https://www.wirecard.com/wirecard/ShowFees.html

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

I see that Aer Lingus are adding two daily flights from Cork to Gatwick starting on March 6th. Not sure if it will be all year around but will be an option in any case. Flights leave Cork every day at 9.55am and 9pm with the Gatwick flights departing at 6.50am and 5.50pm

• Advertisement

I should also mention that I rented a car for the Hull game last Saturday (as I had the young lad with me and had to visit an aunt). This was a fairly painless experience even though I made the mistake of renting from Thrifty instead of Budget. Budget are in the airport while Thrifty are 5 miles away so they send a car to pick you up!!

My flight arrived at 9.30am, I was in the car for 10.15 and was in Tottenham before 11am. I left the car just off the North Circular so I was back to it by 5.30pm. Traffic was obviousy heavy for a while but I was back in Thrifty by 6.25 and they had me in the airport for 6.45pm

The rental cost £30 with about £13 for the petrol whereas I would pay £40 for the Stansted Express for the two of us. Obviously you can't have a pint either but it might be a worthwhile option when a group are travelling and the train is not running

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

WHL wrote: »
    I should also mention that I rented a car for the Hull game last Saturday (as I had the young lad with me and had to visit an aunt). This was a fairly painless experience even though I made the mistake of renting from Thrifty instead of Budget. Budget are in the airport while Thrifty are 5 miles away so they send a car to pick you up!!

My flight arrived at 9.30am, I was in the car for 10.15 and was in Tottenham before 11am. I left the car just off the North Circular so I was back to it by 5.30pm. Traffic was obviousy heavy for a while but I was back in Thrifty by 6.25 and they had me in the airport for 6.45pm

The rental cost £30 with about £13 for the petrol whereas I would pay £40 for the Stansted Express for the two of us. Obviously you can't have a pint either but it might be a worthwhile option when a group are travelling and the train is not running

Agree - Stansted Epress cost is a joke - nearly £20 dearer than travel pass from LHR.

galinka wrote: »
    Agree - Stansted Epress cost is a joke - nearly £20 dearer than travel pass from LHR.

This link needs updating lads, but it will help you save a fortune on train tickets:

Train info and railcards

I usually pay £10.60 at weekends for my return ticket to Stansted, and paid £13 on Tuesday night last because they have a minimum spend midweek.

Well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Another option that may work is the 3 for 2 and 4 for 2 train fares.
    e.g. I am going to the Portsmouth game and there are 4 of us going so we buy ret tickets from Stansted to Northumberland park and use the 4 for 2 option so it works out at £8 each.

One catch is that you have to travel together. With the amnt of lads from here that go over and back in the day sure with a little organising there is scope for this option to be used and save a few bob.

I know that it has been mentioned before but if you are travelling through Gatwick, get the Southern Railways train to Victoria and not the Gatwick Express. Book online in advance and you should get it for £3.75 single or £7.50 return. Travel time is 31/32 minutes so it's only a few minutes longer than the Gatwick Express. When booking, choose London Victoria as the destination - I tried Tottenham Hale and the price jumped to £33 Single

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

WHL wrote: »
    I know that it has been mentioned before but if you are travelling through Gatwick, get the Southern Railways train to Victoria and not the Gatwick Express. Book online in advance and you should get it for £3.75 single or £7.50 return. Travel time is 31/32 minutes so it's only a few minutes longer than the Gatwick Express. When booking, choose London Victoria as the destination - I tried Tottenham Hale and the price jumped to £33 Single

spot on but one word of warning some of the Southern Trains especially later in the evening take a lot longer than 31/32 minutes due to making several stops. best to check online before travelling how many stops a particular train makes.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    spot on but one word of warning some of the Southern Trains especially later in the evening take a lot longer than 31/32 minutes due to making several stops. best to check online before travelling how many stops a particular train makes.

Good point. It does show the travel time on the website when you are selecting the train. Interestingly if you tried to book now for tomorrow it would cost £11 each way

Advertisement