Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist?

• 13-10-2008 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Would I be classed a racist if I go to Roy Chubby Brown gig next week. My friend has a ticket to spare and has offered me the ticket for free as a birthday present. Have not seen much from him but he has a bad reputation for racist remarks, please tell me what you think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

He also has a bad reputation for being not funny. He's sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

I went to a hypnotist show once ... didn't make me a hypnotist.
    Went to a jazz gig once ... didn't make me a musician.
    Went to a restaurant ... I'm not a chef.
    You see where I'm going with this?

If it's a free ticket then take it & go. Laugh at the funny jokes. It's a comedy gig not a KKK rally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Going to a Roy "Chubby" Brown show will not make you a comedian either.

I saw him live in Manchester years ago. He relied for cheap laughs on the shock effect of appalling bad language and incredibly vulgar "jokes". I'm not a prude by any means but I wouldn't waste another evening of my life on him.

My 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Hagar wrote: »
    He relied for cheap laughs on the shock effect of appalling bad language and incredibly vulgar "jokes". I'm not a prude by any means but I wouldn't waste another evening of my life on him.

I felt the same way after seeing frank skinner years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭RobbieBonham

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Would I be classed a racist if I go to Roy Chubby Brown gig next week. My friend has a ticket to spare and has offered me the ticket for free as a birthday present.

That would make your friend a racist. And a cheapskate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

That would make your friend a racist. And a cheapskate.

First of all, why is the word friend in italic? Please tell me why, do you think that he is make believe or that because he is a racist (in your view) and that racists can't have non racist friends.

Secondly how is he a cheapskate as he bought the tickets. I don't get it.

I know this lad since we were toddlers and I wouldn't consider him a racist.
    We go to all the local stand-up comedy shows normally held once a month and to a good few at the big venues in Dublin every year.

I just want to know what people think of Roy Chubby Brown and then I will make a decision to go or not. That's all I want to know, also I don't want myself or anybody I know to be slagged for just posting a thread. Not happy.

First of all, why is the word friend in italic? Please tell me why

Grammar.
    do you think that he is make believe

Beginning to, yeah...
    or that because he is a racist (in your view)

I was making a joke
    and that racists can't have non racist friends.

Nah, you've lost me now...
    how is he a cheapskate as he bought the tickets.

The joking thing again... it was a play on the fact he had it spare, in your own words
    I don't get it.

Yes.

I just want to know what people think of Roy Chubby Brown and then I will make a decision to go or not.

I think he's a hack, for what it's worth, but good at what he does.
    I don't want myself or anybody I know to slagged for just posting a thread.

Again, it was a joke.
    Not happy.

Not caring.

Keep your side splitting jokes to yourself because I'm nearly wetting myself laughing. Did I ask anyone to mock me or my friend in my OP? No. If you don't have a constructive word to say well don't say it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Do you know what a Racist is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ooooh, someone in the Stand Up Comedy forum does not like jokes.

Maybe you should go see Chubby Brown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Keep your side splitting jokes to yourself because I'm nearly wetting myself laughing. Did I ask anyone to mock me or my friend in my OP? No. If you don't have a constructive word to say well don't say it

As far as I am concerned, posting a thread asking people if you are a racist because you are going to see a comedian known to make some "risque" jokes is akin to inviting posters to come along and mock you AND your friend.. but that's just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

jim o doom wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned, posting a thread asking people if you are a racist because you are going to see a comedian known to make some "risque" jokes is akin to inviting posters to come along and mock you AND your friend.. but that's just my opinion.

Not in this forum it isn't!!!
    The poster didn't come along and invite abuse he came along and asked for help or opinions. Now either give him what he asked for or ignore him. They're the choices folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Unless you're Father Ted Crilly, I fail to see the problem.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I'm outta here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

dude what robbie said was a joke, he was not insulting, what he said was with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek, you said ur mate had a spare ticket that he was giving you as a present which did sound like it wasnt bought for you but then decided to give it to ya for ur bday (hence why he said cheapskate) it wasnt insulting it was a joke! and if ya thaught THAT was offensive do NOT go see roy chubby brown!

if you want to judge if you'll like him watch him on youtube...and no it wont make you a racist by going!

dude what robbie said was a joke, he was not insulting, what he said was with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek, you said ur mate had a spare ticket that he was giving you as a present which did sound like it wasnt bought for you but then decided to give it to ya for ur bday (hence why he said cheapskate) it wasnt insulting it was a joke! and if ya thaught THAT was offensive do NOT go see roy chubby brown!

if you want to judge if you'll like him watch him on youtube...and no it wont make you a racist by going!

Probably I over reacted and I should have made my OP a bit clearer and realised what forum I was in. Me bad! Also I think that I've killed this thread before it started,ah well thats life.

I took your advise and watched him on Youtube, some bits funny the rest a bit sh/te. Dunno whether to go or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

do you think that he is make believe or that because he is a racist (in your view) and that racists can't have non racist friends.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1DkVljeRfM

Id avoid tbh, best reason to avoid would be the people sitting beside you (not yer mate, mates are your own business)
    You would/should feel unconfortable at some of the bits that get the bigger laughs

ps. you got in a slagging match about humour with one of the few good original comedians left in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AnthonyK7

Did you go ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I would go. Its not gonna make you racist at all. I heard he does racist jokes but never seen him. Also your friend gave the ticket to you for your birthday, would it not be rude to not use it, obviously if you have something else on thats ok.
    Go and see what you think. If you find it to be to racist just tell your friend you find it to offensive and leave. Happy birthday by the way.

No never went, lost my job around that time and I said to myself stuff that!

I sold the ticket for half the price, so I gained a few euro as I didn't pay for the ticket in the first place!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

Ah, the 'R' word.....

Advertisement