Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tottenham travel info [trains]

Options
  • 13-10-2008 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Spurs isn't particularly well served by public transport (other than by bus), the nearest tube stations (Seven Sisters and Tottenham Hale are a good 20 minute walk away), though there are two mainline stations nearby, White Hart Lane about 5 minutes walk from the ground and Northumberland Park, about 10 minutes walk down Park Lane from the ground. Both stations are serviced by National Express East Anglia from Liverpool Street. Both Seven Sisters and Tottenham Hale are also served by mainline rail services.

Seven Sisters

Seven Sisters is the most famous transport link to WHL, and the majority of fans travelling to the ground by train tend to use it. It is on the Victoria Line on London Underground tube map here and is a 20 minute walk from the ground. Exit the station onto the Seven Sisters Road, then onto the High Road and head north, following the crowd until you come to WHL on your right.

Seven Sisters is also a mainline rail station, and travellers can jump on the Cheshunt/Enfield Town service to White Hart Lane station which is two stops away. These trains tend to be packed on reaching Seven Sisters as kick-off approaches though. There are also ample busses along the High Road northbound towards the ground.

Tottenham Hale

Another tube/mainline station, travellers from Stansted Airport are advised to travel through here as it is a Stansted Express stop. A 25 minute walk to the ground, this time via Hale Rd and Monument Way, turning right on to the High Road at Tottenham High Cross to join the Seven Sisters crowd. Check the map here

You can cut a few minutes off by nipping through the residential areas between the station and the ground, though unless you know where you're going you're better off staying on the main roads. An alternative would be a taxi from the rank outside the station, costing no more than £10 to the barriers on Park Lane.

For travellers looking to catch the tube back into London after a game, Hale can be a crafty choice. Its on the Victoria Line like Seven Sisters, but southbound tubes stop at Hale first so you're guaranteed a seat...:D

White Hart Lane

The closest to the ground, and only served by mainline rail from Liverpool Street and onwards to Cheshunt/Enfield Town, a great option for travelling from central London to a game, but not an option if you want to get away after a game due to the queues. A five minute walk from the station to the ground, just off the High Road. Come out of the station, turn right and walk down White Hart Lane. When you come to the traffic lights you will be at the junction with the High Road. Turn right and walk 500m to the ground which is on your left.

Northumberland Park

Served by National Express East Anglia from Liverpool Street, you can also jump on a northbound train at Tottenham Hale as Northumberland Park is next stop. Not all mainline services stop there though, so be careful. Its a ten minutes walk to the ground. Located East of the stadium, come out of the station and turn left. You will be next to what used to be "The Park" pub, walk beyond this and cross Willoughby Lane / Shelbourne Road to come out on Park Lane. Go straight on along Park Lane for about half a mile and you will find the ground appears on your right.

It is worth noting that after matches a number of Stansted Express services stop at Northumberland Park northbound to help ease the transport problems in the Tottenham area on matchdays, it is always worth checking both the official club website and National Rail (or NE East Anglia) website for updates on this.

Summary

If you're coming from Stansted, get off at Tottenham Hale and either get a taxi or walk to the ground. I'd advise the walk, because you'll need to know you're way back to the station for after the game.

If you're coming from central London (basically any of the other three airports) your best bet is to get to Liverpool Street for the mainline to White Hart Lane, or if time's a problem get the tube to Seven Sisters to meet the mainline train, get a bus, or walk down.

Some important links:

Transport For London website Has a great journey planner linking trains/tube/bus services. Also useful for ticket pricing etc. Essential site TBH.
    National Rail Journey planner, ticket pricing etc.
    National Express East Anglia For timetable info.
    Stansted Express
    TFL tube map

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Some points of note:

1. It is no longer possible to purchase a "Cheap Day Return" (off-peak return ticket to be used on the day of purchase) from Stansted to either Liverpool Street or Tottenham Hale. These tickets are now known as "off-peak day return" tickets, and cost a minimum of £24 to Tottenham Hale. However, an "off-peak day return" to Northumberland Park will cost you £15.40, which allows you to travel on the Stansted Express from Stansted to Tottenham Hale, where you can catch a connecting service back towards Northumberland Park (or simply walk out of the train station and make your way towards WHL! I've no idea why the price change has happened, but that is the best way of keeping the price of your train ticket down.

It is important to note that the terms and conditions affecting your train ticket probably preclude you leaving the station at Tottenham Hale rather than catching the connecting service, so if you are asked to produce a train ticket when you attempt to exit the platform at Hale play dumb, or say you just wanted to pop into the shop or something. The same applies at Hale on the way back, your ticket is for travel beginning at Northumberland Park

2. For travellers planning an overnight stay from Stansted, you will need to purchase an "anytime return" ticket, which can be purchased on the day from the ticket office at Stansted (£26 to Liverpool Street, £24 to Tottenham Hale). Alternatively, a return ticket can be purchased at a discounted price on board Ryanair flights into Stansted, or through the Ryanair website link to the Stansted Express for collection from the automatic ticket machines at Stansted.

3. Regular travellers can avail of savings on train tickets by purchasing a Network Railcard which entitles you to 1/3 off regular ticket prices (subject to some restrictions) for journeys in the south east. The railcard costs £20 per annum, and details are here

4. If you are travelling as part of a group it is worth checking at the ticket office if there are any discounts available (applies to all airports).

5. If you intend making a number of visits to London it is worth considering purchasing an Oyster Card for use on the tube and bus, it can be topped up with cash and saves you having to purchase individual tickets (particularly handy if you want to jump on a bus as they are exact change only, and often require you to purchase a ticket before boarding)

6. Before travelling, always check with the TFL, National Rail or Stansted Express websites for the latest information on engineering works that may affect your journey. It is always worth checking the Spurs site in the days before a game for travel updates affecting the Tottenham area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

if you're travelling into London via Gatwick in a group and use the gatwick express you can get 4 for 2 deal on tickets. you can get these return or single fares. the only thing is that you have to buy them online or at the the ticket offices in Gatwick or Victoria Station. Details here https://www.gatwickexpress.com/content.asp?SID={21C68EA1-0569-4F3E-89D6-31A5489A1A75}&pageid=81

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭ooter

Does tottenham hale train station close for any period of time when spurs are playing?
    Hopefully not cos I was hoping to catch the 1821 stansted express train or the 1836 one at the very latest cos the last flight out of stansted to Dublin after the lpool game is at 2015.
    How likely/unlikely am I to catch either of them trains if I head for the train station straight after the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

ooter wrote: »
    Does tottenham hale train station close for any period of time when spurs are playing?
    Hopefully not cos I was hoping to catch the 1821 stansted express train or the 1836 one at the very latest cos the last flight out of stansted to Dublin after the lpool game is at 2015.
    How likely/unlikely am I to catch either of them trains if I head for the train station straight after the game?

Is the game at 4pm ? If so, allow 20 mins for the walk and you should get it no problem !

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

ooter wrote: »

another option is go to northumberland pk after the game. A brisk walk will have you there in 7-8 mins from south/east stands. Either get a train direct from there to airport if one comes along - takes bout 45 mins as train stops more often or else get train back one stop to Hale and cross over to catch express. Often works out quicker for me than walking to Hale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭ooter

Thanks for the replies lads.
    I don't mind walking to hale just so long as i know I'll definitely catch 1836 or preferably the 1821 train.
    Wouldn't like to take a chance on going to northumberland pk in case there's no express train..

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Stansted body searching is a nightmare - i must say i find LHR very easy since BA moved from T1.

Assuming its 1750 finish you should make 1821 - but be gone out of the stadium at the whistle or before!!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Watch where you are sitting in the ground. If you are in the Paxton at the final whistle, it can take about ten minutes to work your way down the steps and up the sde of the Shelfside (I'm old remember!), just to get to the corner of the ground closest to Tottenham Hale.

if I am in the Paxton for a 3pm kickoff I usually get the 1742 (or something like that) out of Tottenham Hale. For a 4pm kickoff and a 1821 train I would be moving fairly lively....

Advertisement