Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have Scotland gone backwards under Burley?

• 13-10-2008 7:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

So Kris Boyd has said he won't play for Scotland again under George Burley following his lack of game time against Norway at the weekend.

Personally the decision to bring on Iwelumo for McFadden boggled the mind* as it was but to leave an out and out goalscorer like Boyd in the stands when you're in need of a breakthrough is just crazy.

Boyd isn't the first player to opt out of international football lately as Lee McCullock has also declined any call ups (though the SFA deny it's because of Burley). Both players are big losses to the sqaud.

Admittedly there are only 3 games gone in the campaign and the Scots are in second spot behind Holland but they will be most likely scrapping it out for a playoff spot so more heartbreak could be on the cards.

I watched very extended highlights of the Norway game and couldn't believe how wasteful Scotland were in front of goal, although Norway could have had a couple themselves.

So is all well on the good ship Burley? Is it a case or Boyd throwing his toys out of the pram? Or will poor man management prevent them taking that next step of qualifying for a major tournament?

* Someone said in the match thread that McFadden was injured but i haven't seen any reports that suggest that and his reaction to the substitution was one of anger as he walked past the manager.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Boyd didnt jump ship because of his frustration at not getting a game, the lad jumped after driving home from the match and hearing the manager say on radio that he has yet to prove himself.

That is bad management in my book and one of the biggest gaffs you could make is to belittle your players in the medias eye. I would not blame Boyd for his decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Quite simply...Yes.

I said at the time he should never have been given the job, and it should have been given to Tommy Burns.
    Sadly though the man who done so much behind the scenes for the national set up will now never get that chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I watched the match, McFadden was brutal and needs a serious attitude adjustment, he reacted like a petulant child being subbed, he showed more passion walking off then he did for the entire time on the pitch.

To be fair to Iwelumo, he is a great lad with a great attitude and if it wasn't for a huge rush of blood to the head, he would have stolen the 3 points and this thread would have a completely different tone.

As a pure management decision bringing on Iwelumo for Boyd, Iwelumo is nearly 6-3 and on my viewing of the game a big striker is what was needed.

Boggles wrote: »
    I watched the match, McFadden was brutal and needs a serious attitude adjustment, he reacted like a petulant child being subbed, he showed more passion walking off then he did for the entire time on the pitch.

To be fair to Iwelumo, he is a great lad with a great attitude and if it wasn't for a huge rush of blood to the head, he would have stolen the 3 points and this thread would have a completely different tone.

As a pure management decision bringing on Iwelumo for Boyd, Iwelumo is nearly 6-3 and on my viewing of the game a big striker is what was needed.

That's fair enough Boggles, but surely the decision to play McFadden up front on his own was a stupud decision by Burley in the first place?

Iwelumo's miss is taking the brunt of peoples anger at the moment and i genuinely feel for the guy, i've seen far better players than him miss chances equally as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Eirebear wrote: »
    That's fair enough Boggles, but surely the decision to play McFadden up front on his own was a stupud decision by Burley in the first place?

I certainly think so, but then again Mcfadden had his best game for Scotland up front on his own against the French in Paris.

In the 3 world cup qualifiers Burley has tried 3 different systems, IMO this is part of the problem, your right thou playing Mcfadden on his own up against the likes of Hangeland who is a giant of a man is retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote: »
    i've seen far better players than him miss chances equally as bad.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=6_A6QHdWcXg

:D:D

Fortunately for him, it made no difference.

I can't really fault Boyd for his decision either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Could it be that they were overachieving with Smith and McLeish and are now being brought back down to earth?

Boggles wrote: »
    I certainly think so, but then again Mcfadden had his best game for Scotland up front on his own against the French in Paris.

he did, but as you point out the French play a completely different sytem to the Norwegians.
    Especially when Scotland were at home and would be looking to do most of the attacking.

I wouldnt have had an issue with him playing Iwelumo alongside McFadden though.
    PauloMN wrote: »

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ILt3vg7oCzY
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Boyd isn't the first player to opt out of international football lately as Lee McCullock has also declined any call ups (though the SFA deny it's because of Burley). Both players are big losses to the sqaud.

I havent seen much of him but on BBC at the time the vast majority of fans nearly counted it as a blessing they wouldnt see McCulloch in the blue again. A bit like the whatever attitude we felt when Andy O`Brien retired.

I like the Scots, but perhaps they have lost their way without McLeish. Lets not forget they pulled off results against two awful teams, one of whom was (and is) run by a manager/FA so awful even we wouldnt know what hit us. Really have to wonder if they could have pulled off such upsets if it was, say, Holland and Turkey in their euro qualifying group.

I still reckon they can take 2nd place. However, with less games to play and less points gathered, they could be the lowest points runner up and miss a play off. Certainly havent yet added to the points scoring like they should if they want to avoid that scenario.

Advertisement