Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Belt done or not

Options
  • 13-10-2008 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I contemplating buying a 06 Passat 2.0TDI from a dealer in Dublin. The Car was a fleet car regulary serviced at a main dealer with the book stamped each time. I rang the main dealer to see if this was legit and all is in order.The timing belt is due to be done now and the dealer I'm buying it from said that he will do the timing belt and water pump and give the car a full service. How do I know that he has it done?The dealer is not SIMI registered. Do I just take his word for it or get him to guarantee his work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Ask him to leave the old ones in the boot, I always do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Mr.David wrote: »

Great idea! Thanks I never thought about that

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If he was deceiving you what's to stop him from putting any old timing belt that was lying around his garage in the boot?

I'd get it in writing on the receipt and the service book that the timing belt and water pump were both changed at xx km on such as date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Moanin wrote: »
    The dealer is not SIMI registered.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Some of the biggest cowboys I know are SIMI registered.

Why do you think he said he will do the timing belt and then not do it??? If you don't trust him to do a timing belt when he says he will do it, why are you buying a car from him??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bazz26 wrote: »
    If he was deceiving you what's to stop him from putting any old timing belt that was lying around his garage in the boot?

I'd get it in writing on the receipt and the service book that the timing belt and water pump were both changed at xx km on such as date.

This should be done automatically...

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

Thanks Bazz.I presume that he would have to guarantee it then if anything happened?

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I wouldn't read too much into that. Some of the biggest cowboys I know are SIMI registered.

Why do you think he said he will do the timing belt and then not do it??? If you don't trust him to do a timing belt when he says he will do it, why are you buying a car from him??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I find it hard to trust anybody in the motor trade nowadays.No offence to the legit guys.....

I find it hard to trust anybody in the motor trade nowadays.No offence to the legit guys.....

Then either don't buy the car or do the timing belt yourself. I can't understand this mentality, I was running my own grage until recently, I decided I had enough of people who were constantly suspicious and cynical no matter what I did for them and decided it was time for a career change. Most people in the trade are genuine and just want to earn a wage like you do. Why on earth would you buy a car from someone you don't trust??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Mr.David wrote: »

Whats stopping them from putting an old timing belt from another car in the boot? :confused:

If you want to be really sure ask the garage to call you when he is doing the job. That way you can call out and see the work being done.

Whats stopping them from putting an old timing belt from another car in the boot? :confused:

If you want to be really sure ask the garage to call you when he is doing the job. That way you can call out and see the work being done.

This is getting stupid. If I was running this garage and someone wanted to inspect every thing I did on the bais of them having trust issues, I'd ask them to get the work done elsewhere. I'd give a written assurance that the work was done, by way of a detailed invoice, I'd stamp the book, I had a policy of giving old parts back to clients to reinforce transparency.

If there are doubts remaining after this, then there is obviously something wrong with the client, not the garage.

• Advertisement

Because you could look up the timing belt for your car and find the dimensions (no of teeth, width). If the dimensions of the belt you were given doesn't match the belt dimension info for your car, then the belt you have is not for your car...

I said this before here on the forum previously but I'll say it again... The vast majority of mechanics I know are if anything OVERTLY paranoid about the standard of their work. When it comes to things like timing belts & clutches, they don't take chances, because if they take short cuts and then there is a problem, they have to do the whole thing again, they will probably lose a customer, (and maybe an awful lot more if it's a timing belt, $$$$$).

Do you honestly think there is a mechanic out there who wants to deal with you in a few months time if the timing belt breaks??? Liable for a '06 Passat engine ffs!?!?!?!

I can't understand this paranoia when it comes to garages, OP, is this based on a previous experience???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If you don't trust him to do a timing belt when he says he will do it, why are you buying a car from him??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

+1,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This is getting stupid. If I was running this garage and someone wanted to inspect every thing I did on the bais of them having trust issues, I'd ask them to get the work done elsewhere. I'd give a written assurance that the work was done, by way of a detailed invoice, I'd stamp the book, I had a policy of giving old parts back to clients to reinforce transparency.

If there are doubts remaining after this, then there is obviously something wrong with the client, not the garage.
    It is a very common practice in the States for garages and fast fit places to have CCTV in their waiting room so that the customer can view what work is was going in their car. With the amount of scams being disclosed in the Irish motor trade between docking mileage and hearing of horror stories on this forum I would be very slow to trust anyone. I do my own services for this reason.

Last summer I was checking out the mechanics of a car for my brother from a "reputable" dealer in West Dublin, we drove about 100 yards and noticed the speedometer was not working, it was disconnected!!, the idiot mechanic forgot to replace it after getting the clock “recalibrated”.

I can't understand this paranoia when it comes to garages, OP, is this based on a previous experience???

No, but I will take note of your recommendations and get book stamped etc etc etc

No, but I will take note of your recommendations and get book stamped etc etc etc

Just read your OP again. You have a book with main dealer service history stamps and you rang the dealer that stamped the book to make sure that the stamps were "legit"??? Look, will you stop wasting people's time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

If a dealer "offers" to do the timing belt and pump they will. Espically if there is a warranty comming with the car.
    The reason for this is that the garage is covered in the event of a breakdown or a claim on the warranty. (not for everything, I know)
    If the garage gives a 6 month warranty on a car that is close to a timing belt replacement, and does not do the belt, and, the belt breaks.......Dealer *****d. The dealer will have to replace the engine. End of.
    However, if the dealer does the belt, which to be fair is the only common way of breaking an engine upon failure, chances are that he will not see the customer again. High milage cars with timing belts not replaced run a massive risk of belt failure.
    So as darragh29 said, why the hell would the dealer NOT do the belt. It makes no sence for them not to.
    It really is in the dealers best interest to do it for you.

Advertisement