Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

customs, last night

Options
  • 13-10-2008 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Watched this last night and the hard man Martin, was in persuit of a van talking with a walkie talkie in his hand. was he breaking the law. i know the guards or ambulance might have some leeway in this law but customs????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

john1963 wrote: »
    Watched this last night and the hard man Martin, was in persuit of a van talking with a walkie talkie in his hand. was he breaking the law. i know the guards or ambulance might have some leeway in this law but customs????

Best of luck trying to make sure they're prosecuted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Just checked that and you are right, he was breaking the law. Customs are not covered under the exemptions. However the chances of him or any Customs being prosecuted would be slight to say the least.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/act/pub/0023/sec0003.html#id1151527006.39

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

TheNog wrote: »
    Just checked that and you are right, he was breaking the law. Customs are not covered under the exemptions. However the chances of him or any Customs being prosecuted would be slight to say the least.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/act/pub/0023/sec0003.html#id1151527006.39

As that's written in "official" can someone clarify if the use of a 2-way hand held radio is illegal while driving? I thought the laws were only covering mobile phones at the moment, but I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Are taximen allowed to use their two way radios while driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

john1963 wrote: »

I don't know about the legality of this but these guys have more powers than a Garda. A Garda can't just pull you in and take your car off you unless you're out of tax for 3 months or something like that, these guys can...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Who bloody cares, seriously, worry about something that needs to be worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

True...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

R.O.R wrote: »
    As that's written in "official" can someone clarify if the use of a 2-way hand held radio is illegal while driving? I thought the laws were only covering mobile phones at the moment, but I stand to be corrected.

No the law does include the use of two way radios. Its at the bottom of the link I have above.
    joolsveer wrote: »
    Are taximen allowed to use their two way radios while driving?

Technically no.
    Darragh29 wrote: »
    I don't know about the legality of this but these guys have more powers than a Garda. A Garda can't just pull you in and take your car off you unless you're out of tax for 3 months or something like that, these guys can...

The 3 months was reduced to 2 months in 2006 and yes Gardai can take your car off you for it but it wouldn't be looked on favourably at all.

Customs don't have more powers than Gardai do. AFAIK anything customs can do Gardai can do as well such as taking a car where the VRT hasn't been paid for etc. Obviously Customs would be heavily involved in border control for smuggling of drugs, tobacco etc whereas Gardai would not. If ye notice Customs checkpoints there is usually a Garda presence. Customs have the power to stop vehicles but the Gardai there if anyone needs to be arrested (getting violent) and to chase turnarounds.

Advertisement