Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Wireless Broadband - Radio connector pin layout

Options
  • 13-10-2008 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have digiweb wireless broadband. When it was being installed, the digiweb techician put it in our home office (which we requested at the time). He drilled through the bottom of the window (about a 5-7mm hole) to bring the cable into the office room.

The home office has now been converted back to a bedroom. My OH wants me to move the router upstairs. The router has wireless capability and I also have a timer which turns the router off between 8:00pm to 8:00am. However....the OH insists the router is move upstairs.

I know I can make note of what wire goes into which pin but does anyone have a pin layout etc of the cable (which is basically the link to the radio signal). Also, what tool would I need to put a new connector back on ?
    I was going to feed the cable into the attic and drill a small hole (5-7mm) in the bedroom wall and feed the cable through.

I guess I just want the pin layout for piece of mind.

Thanks in advance.

-laoisfan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The equipment belongs to Digiweb and you don't want to make a mistake.

You need an RJ45 crimp tool*, new RJ45 type plug and experience. Have you rung to find out how much it would cost to get the cable moved?

(*assuming you have what I think you have).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The equipment in this case does not belong to Digiweb. The cables, fixings and other such equipment beyond the radio (I think it's digiweb FWA which is airspan) belong to the customer on payment of the installation fee.

When I moved our router at home the other day, I saw the pinout on the plug was according to EIA/TIA 568B. The industry standard one for Cat5 etc cables into RJ45.

I don't have a crimper at the moment so I got a spare RJ45 modular socket, hooked up the 8 wires as normal using an IDE tool (or in my case a flatblade screwdriver and pliers) and then got a standard short patch cable to connect from the modular socket to the radio power unit.

But you'd want to be certain on what you're doing all the same.

The Wireless gear is in two parts, an outdoor unit and an indoor unit. I'm not sure if the "free" router (separate from indoor part of radio) is on loan or belongs to subscriber. The install charge mostly covers labour (including provisioning time in the office), depreciation of the equipment and non-recoverable installation costs (such as poles and fixings which become subscriber property).

From http://www.digiweb.ie/home/homewave/
    http://www.digiweb.ie/pdf/fixed_wireless_termsOct08.pdf
    4. EQUIPMENT. (a) For the duration of the service DIGIWEB will loan certain
    transceiver and network equipment, hereafter termed “Equipment”, to Subscriber
    to receive the service. This Equipment at all times remains the sole property of
    DIGIWEB and Subscriber agrees to provide DIGIWEB access and permission to
    recover said equipment on demand without delay, obstruction or interference.
    (b) During installation certain cabling, mounts, poles and fixings may be used
    to complete the installation. These become the property and responsibility of
    Subscriber once installation is completed, and it is Subscriber’s responsibility to
    ensure they are maintained in operational and safe condition.
    (c) Subscriber agrees to use the Equipment in accordance with DIGIWEB’s
    instructions and to restrict access to the Equipment to only those representatives
    and agents authorized by DIGIWEB. Subscriber agrees to take reasonable steps
    to protect the Equipment from damage, loss or theft, and should insure same to a
    replacement value of €600.
    (d) If DIGIWEB cannot for any reason recover the Equipment in good condition
    on demand from Subscriber then Subscriber agrees they will be immediately
    liable to pay a replacement fee determined by DIGIWEB of up to Euro 600 plus
    applicable taxes.(e) Subscriber agrees to notify DIGIWEB as soon as reasonably
    possible once he becomes aware of any damage to the equipment or defect in the
    operation of the equipment by telephoning or emailing DIGIWEB at the numbers
    or addresses published from time to time, or support@digiweb.ie
    (f) Subscriber agrees not to, nor allow any other party to, move, dispose of,
    modify, or adjust the Equipment, nor allow liens to be placed on the Equipment.

If you 100% know what you are doing moving the indoor part of the radio, fine, otherwise ring and organise the Install dept to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

The equipment in this case does not belong to Digiweb. The cables, fixings and other such equipment beyond the radio (I think it's digiweb FWA which is airspan) belong to the customer on payment of the installation fee.

When I moved our router at home the other day, I saw the pinout on the plug was according to EIA/TIA 568B. The industry standard one for Cat5 etc cables into RJ45.

I don't have a crimper at the moment so I got a spare RJ45 modular socket, hooked up the 8 wires as normal using an IDE tool (or in my case a flatblade screwdriver and pliers) and then got a standard short patch cable to connect from the modular socket to the radio power unit.

But you'd want to be certain on what you're doing all the same.

got a RJ45 crimpping tool in work and a few spare RJ45 connectors as well. I have done this before....albeit a long time ago. i will take a look at this later on at the weekend.

thanks for the replies.

Double check with magnifying glass old cut off end and new connector before re-connecting if you are determined to do this. It's at your own risk.

Practice on a cut of piece of cable and check each wire end to pin with meter on 200 Ohm range.

• Advertisement
Advertisement