Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long do i have before having to pay VRT?

Options
  • 13-10-2008 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm importing an mr2 turbo next weekend, insurance i will be just swapping over to the english reg. But how long can i drive it for here before paying VRT? Am i ok to drive it for a week or 2 once my insurance is on the english plates?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

the law says that the registration has to happen on the next working day following importation.

So, legally, no time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

You have to present the car at your local VRO office on the next working day after importing the car. However, they will invariably have to send off you details to their office in Rosslare to get full details of any extras in the car. Based on my recent experience, this can take up to ten days or more. The VRO will give you a letter to carry in the car which you can show to customs / guards if you are stopped while driving on the UK plates. So bottom line is you won't have to pay the VRT for a week or two after importing the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Pete67 wrote: »
    However, they will invariably have to send off you details to their office in Rosslare to get full details of any extras in the car.

Only if the vehicle is less than 4 years old. Otherwise, they don't bother their hole. And quite often, if it is less than 4 years old, they don't bother their hole either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I'll be coming into Dublin port not Rosslare, the last time i imported a car i never got met ny anyone checking for sxtras. I'll take it the next day after importing it.

You could be right. However a quick poll here in the office shows that the last 5 cars imported all of them were sent off for confirmation of extras. Some were under 4 years old and some weren't. Seems the VRO is after every last cent these days.

• Advertisement

MOG7 wrote: »
    I'll be coming into Dublin port not Rosslare, the last time i imported a car i never got met ny anyone checking for sxtras. I'll take it the next day after importing it.

They will take a look at the car when you present it at the VRO office, they have a checklist they work from which list things like sunroofs, satnav, metallic paint, alloys, leather etc etc. BUT they can also opt to send the chassis number off to the Rosslare office to get the full list of options that were specified when the car was new. It seems they now do this more often that they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Pay it the next day if you can. Cops & customs are gone mad seizing cars at the minute. One lad who works with me was stopped in Athlone, was told to organise a way home, waited for his lift to arrive & took his car off to impound. He went down the next day & was in a queue of 10 others who had their cars lifted for non payment. It appears they're more than issuing idle threats at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I'm not surprised.

I wish they could seize all the cars off the dealers selling english reg cars in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've been to the VRO a few times and never once has anyone looked at my cars or sent off for a list of extras.

This tends to only happen with cars like BMW/Merc/Audi/VW etc where you have to spec up the car when you buy it or if it's a car they don't have on the system.

Pete67 wrote: »
    They will take a look at the car when you present it at the VRO office, they have a checklist they work from which list things like sunroofs, satnav, metallic paint, alloys, leather etc etc. BUT they can also opt to send the chassis number off to the Rosslare office to get the full list of options that were specified when the car was new. It seems they now do this more often that they used to.

Ah right cheers, when i imported a 1990 mr2 they never checked it at the office either, this one is a 1994 so they mmight take a look. Its all standard to so no worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ClioV6 wrote: »
    I'm not surprised.

I wish they could seize all the cars off the dealers selling english reg cars in Ireland.

The (legit) dealers all have to have a TAN and have logded the money to cover the VRT on the cars to the VRO. They can't Irish reg them before sale or they'd be adding extra owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

patpark121 wrote: »
    Pay it the next day if you can. Cops & customs are gone mad seizing cars at the minute. One lad who works with me was stopped in Athlone, was told to organise a way home, waited for his lift to arrive & took his car off to impound. He went down the next day & was in a queue of 10 others who had their cars lifted for non payment. It appears they're more than issuing idle threats at the minute.

Given the current economic situation and deficit in the excheqeur you can be guaranteed VRT enforcement and collection will be top of the Government's objectives in order to claw back revenue over the next few years.

They will also be targeting people who are not registered traders but import multiple cars every year specifically for resale here. The profits from these sales are liable to income tax too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

bazz26 wrote: »
    Given the current economic situation and deficit in the excheqeur you can be guaranteed VRT enforcement and collection will be top of the Government's objectives in order to claw back revenue over the next few years.

They will also be targeting people who are not registered traders but import multiple cars every year specifically for resale here. The profits from these sales are liable to income tax too.

It does happen too, saw this Aston DB9 and a Maserati Quattroporte getting checked out this morning...

59ACC73FCE4742EC96CD419871A69AB0-500.jpg

D902AEEA6B7444F7A5D66D9A93EE4D12-500.jpg

Ouch, i wouldn't want to be paying the vrt on them, that'll pay those 2 vrt workers for the whole year.

I'll be taking itt in Sunday, as monday is a bank holiday i won't be able to pay so i'll have to pay on Tuesday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mantra

VRT is the most outrageous tax ever imposed. Go swing for it!!...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement