Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase in pint price after 11pm

Options
  • 13-10-2008 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭

I was recently in dublin and went for a pint with my wife, we paid €5.30 for a pint before 11 but €5.80 for one after 11pm. when questioned we were just told its after 11. It was a monday nite.

anyone any experience of this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Shelflife wrote: »
    I was recently in dublin and went for a pint with my wife, we paid €5.30 for a pint before 11 but €5.80 for one after 11pm. when questioned we were just told its after 11. It was a monday nite.

anyone any experience of this.

Happens a lot and is perfectly legal provided the prices are posted for all to see somewhere in the pub.
    It sucks ass needless to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Regular occurance tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I thought that the regulations brought in a few years ago to stop the "happy hours" was that once a pub opened the displayed prices were what had to be charged until they closed? Unless of course my recollection is wrong (which isn't beyond impossible :P).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Similar discussion going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought that the regulations brought in a few years ago to stop the "happy hours" was that once a pub opened the displayed prices were what had to be charged until they closed? Unless of course my recollection is wrong (which isn't beyond impossible :P).
    The happy hour law stops reduction in prices not increases. I think this was a separate law to the price display one.

I am still wondering what the law is in regards to increasing prices. I would have thought it must be updated at the door, but if it changes at any time it should really have to be on the door too & times of change should be blatantly displayed. Otherwise they could have really low prices on the door to entice customers in, then offer it only for the first minute they are open, then lash €2 on everything.

It would be like being in a restaurant, looking at the menu outside, going in, seeing prices on the menu, then at the end of the meal being charged 5 times as much as you thought you would, then the waiter saying, "check outside pal, price went up 2mins ago."

Lucky there is no real tab culture here, there would be fights galore, and rightly so....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

If i remember correctly its down to Dublin bar staff being unionised (or it least it used to be) and having to pay them more after 11pm, however i sincerly doubt the amout of foreign nationals working in dublin bar's these days ever heard of a bar man's union. :rolleyes: meaning i firmly believe this practice to be a blatant rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

That would mean they have to display two sets of prices wouldnt it??

bit of a sharp practise imo, only reason we stayed was because of the music.

one of the reasons the publicans are finding things tougher at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I think the real issue here should be, what are you doing paying €5.30 for a pint in the first place? Any pub that tried to charge me more than €5 for a pint wouldn't be getting my business.

As long as the two prices, both pre and post 11PM, are displayed, then there's nothing wrong with the practice. But I'd find somewhere else to drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

rubadub wrote:
    The happy hour law stops reduction in prices not increases. I think this was a separate law to the price display one.
    Fair enough, I thought I was wrong there somewhere alright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

do the pubs have to show both prices or is it just the dearest one? its a disgrace anywaw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

rubadub wrote: »

So how come some places still have happy hours but don't call it that. Like barcode's all drinks €3 before midnight on Friday. And the Academy Friday night pints for €3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

FX Meister wrote: »
    So how come some places still have happy hours but don't call it that. Like barcode's all drinks €3 before midnight on Friday. And the Academy Friday night pints for €3.
    The price can be reduced daily not hourly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Usually there's a small line under the prices saying "X% increase after 11pm".

Ahhhhh, that's it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

These places also pay for exemptions to serve later and recently the price for this has been doubled. This might explain it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

jor el wrote: »
    I think the real issue here should be, what are you doing paying €5.30 for a pint in the first place? Any pub that tried to charge me more than €5 for a pint wouldn't be getting my business.

I take it you don't drink in Dublin city centre?

eth0_ wrote: »
    I take it you don't drink in Dublin city centre?

I don't drink in Dublin at all, and just because it's Dublin is no reason to charge €5.30 for a pint. People in Dubline are paying 25-30% more for a drink than people in Wexford, Galway or Limerick (because I drink in these places). If you spend €30 on an average night out, once a week, then that's €468 a year. Kind of puts yesterday's budget increases in perspective. 50c on a bottle of wine doesn't seem quite so bad now.

People need to start boycotting pubs that take the piss with the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

But most places in Dublin a pint is around 5 euro. Can't boycott every pub in town..

A lot of things are more expensive here than the rest of the country, it's not just pints.

But most places in Dublin a pint is around 5 euro. Can't boycott every pub in town..
    Sure you can, drink at home :pac:
    A lot of things are more expensive here than the rest of the country, it's not just pints.

It's about time that all changed too. There's no reason for everything to be so much more expensive, just because it's Dublin.

jor el wrote: »
    I don't drink in Dublin at all, and just because it's Dublin is no reason to charge €5.30 for a pint. People in Dubline are paying 25-30% more for a drink than people in Wexford, Galway or Limerick (because I drink in these places). If you spend €30 on an average night out, once a week, then that's €468 a year. Kind of puts yesterday's budget increases in perspective. 50c on a bottle of wine doesn't seem quite so bad now.

People need to start boycotting pubs that take the piss with the prices.
    I'll gladly pay the extra so I don't have to drink in places like Wexford or Limerick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement